• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

HDMI sound quality issues

This is a discussion on HDMI sound quality issues within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; One of the deciding factors in my buying a xoom over all other tabs was the ability to connect to my tv via hdmi cable. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: HDMI sound quality issues

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

HDMI sound quality issues

One of the deciding factors in my buying a xoom over all other tabs was the ability to connect to my tv via hdmi cable. Ive used it several times to watch movies on my tv, through that hdmi connection. I have to say, I've been pretty dissapointed with the audio quality. Does anyone know if this is a problem with the xoom hardware, or is it just my cable? I've tried both of my hdmi ports on my tv and a couple of different cable so I think I can rule out the latter. Has anybody had any luck getting high quality audio to go along with the high quality video? The movies I've been watching aren't rips or divx, they are straight from the market. If anyone out there has some input on the subject I'd love to hear it.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by Artwright View Post
    One of the deciding factors in my buying a xoom over all other tabs was the ability to connect to my tv via hdmi cable. Ive used it several times to watch movies on my tv, through that hdmi connection. I have to say, I've been pretty dissapointed with the audio quality. Does anyone know if this is a problem with the xoom hardware, or is it just my cable? I've tried both of my hdmi ports on my tv and a couple of different cable so I think I can rule out the latter. Has anybody had any luck getting high quality audio to go along with the high quality video? The movies I've been watching aren't rips or divx, they are straight from the market. If anyone out there has some input on the subject I'd love to hear it.
    Welcome to the forum.Glad you decided to join us. Not sure, mine sounds acceptable when played through the HDMI on to my TV.

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yea, I remember doing a search for the same problem with sound from HDMI some time ago. From what I recall, there is a problem with sound quality from HDMI as it doesn't produce stereo quality sound. I don't recall if it was a software or hardware problem... I connect to my stereo via the headphone out on the xoom for decent sound. Do a search, there is a lot out there on this topic but I don't recall many, if any solutions...

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Same problem here, sound quality through Hdmi very poor

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I too have this problem, it looks like a universal problem with the xoom.

I too have this problem, it looks like a universal problem with the xoom.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    try turning the volume of the xoom to about 1/2 way and use the tv volume only, when set to full the sound does have a bit of distortion.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    I've had similar complaints until I kept the volume on the Xoom down to about 50%-60%. It's different from device to device, though. For instance, with my Bluetooth speaker I have to keep the (bluetooth) volume at about 90% for a stronger signal and better quality.
    Bensode
    Debian, XOOM & Droid Enthusiast

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    I've had this issue too I normally turn the volume down (and also on the Equalizer app I've installed) and boost the TV volume, but its not perfect. I may give the earphone to phono option a try. Incacola, does the earphone audio when connected disconnect the audio from the HDMI socket?

I think in order for the Xoom to be able to output 5.1 audio it'd need an optical output, so we're never going to get that level of sound quality.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Artwright View Post
    ...I've been pretty dissapointed with the audio quality.
    Artwright, is it possible for you to describe what you mean regarding audio quality? Is it distortion? Is it muffled? Is it cutting-out? Are some bits you'd expect to be quiet loud, or the opposite? Rather than movies that you've downloaded from the Market, have you tried some of your own music files (MP3s, say, that you know for sure are high quality, like at 320kbps constant bit-rate) and do they exhibit the same kind of problem?

I stand by the fact that it shouldn't be perceived cable 'quality'... it's HDMI. So I'm wondering whether it's source material. Then again, maybe the Xoom itself has a problem that I don't understand. I would definitely like you to try a piece of source material you know, for sure, is high quality and pump that to your TV's speakers, from the Xoom via HDMI, as opposed to something downloaded.
    Cheers, Hippo

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zammo View Post
    I've had this issue too I normally turn the volume down (and also on the Equalizer app I've installed) and boost the TV volume, but its not perfect. I may give the earphone to phono option a try. Incacola, does the earphone audio when connected disconnect the audio from the HDMI socket?

I think in order for the Xoom to be able to output 5.1 audio it'd need an optical output, so we're never going to get that level of sound quality.
    Sorry should have elaborated. HDMI for picture directly to tv, tv speakers turned off. Headphone out to stereo for sound.

From what I recall (and I haven't checked in a while to see if any of the updates have fixed this), xoom is incapable of 5.1 sound due to limitations of android/xoom. HDMI is very capable of putting out 5.1 just not from the xoom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads