• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Should Motorola create a 16GB wifi/wifi+3g Xoom to compete with other tablets?

This is a discussion on Should Motorola create a 16GB wifi/wifi+3g Xoom to compete with other tablets? within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; With the announcement yesterday of the redesigned Galaxy tab 10.1 priced at $499 - 16GB and $599 - 32GB and the Galaxy tab 8.9 priced ...

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Should Motorola create a 16GB wifi/wifi+3g Xoom to compete with other tablets?

With the announcement yesterday of the redesigned Galaxy tab 10.1 priced at $499 - 16GB and $599 - 32GB and the Galaxy tab 8.9 priced at $469 - 16GB and $569 - 32GB, Samsung has really taken Apple's pricing to heart and made the price competitive to the Ipad. Although I hate the Samsung Touchwiz UX UI they are going to slap over the stock honeycomb UI.

I think the Xoom is a great device and packs the most features of any tablet but I think Motorola really dropped the ball when they decided to make only one model in 32GB. Till this day most consumers are still comparing the Xoom's pricing at $599 to the 16GB Ipad priced at $499 which in my opinion is an incorrect comparison since the Xoom contains 32GB. Even if you point the obvious to consumers, the majority will still think the Xoom is overpriced at $599 and compare it to the $499 Ipad.

My question to everyone is, should Motorola create a 16GB Wifi only Xoom to compete with the rest of the 16GB wifi tablets priced at $499?
    The alternative could be that Motorola could lower the 32GB wifi Xoom to say $550 which would make the Xoom the first tablet 32GB tablet to be priced lower than $599.

What would you do if you were Motorola?
    Last edited by ericdabbs; 03-23-2011 at 04:12 PM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Technician X
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    If I were Motorola I would not he greedy. Sell a couple million at less the profit and you'll be ensured to sell moredownthe road. I vote for a 16gb for 469 or 499 . You have to be lower than ipad to beat it

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    i agree they should come out with a 16g version at $499. It would appeal to more consumers who are price sensitive. I would not by the 16g cuz i need more space but for the average user, 16 is more than enough.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by inferno588 View Post
    i agree they should come out with a 16g version at $499. It would appeal to more consumers who are price sensitive. I would not by the 16g cuz i need more space but for the average user, 16 is more than enough.
    Well keep in mind that EVENTUALLY, android is going to support SD card expansion so you can add up to 32GB to make it a total of 48GB on the Xoom. That way you can choose how much storage space you want on your Xoom but get it for cheaper.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I'm not sure it really makes sense to make that many models. There is pretty significant overhead with each model they add. Then you have to try to find stores willing to carry more than one model. I don't know why Samsung is planning on coming out with two different sizes that similar either... makes no sense to me.

If they were gonna add new Xoom models, a 64gb would be more interesting just because that would put it over the top with the SD card as the most space available on a tablet. If there was a 64GB available for $699 that is what I would get.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I think that would take the xoom into the comptitive market and boost sales. All of us that have one already are the die hard android fans that didn't care about the price and went out and bout one. I know that the talk around my shop is that everyone likes my xoom but they all think I'm crazy for paying 800 for it. If motorola went with smaller gig units it wifi and 3g it would open up the eyes of the common consumer to the xoom, its the price tag that most veer away from right now. Also I would have to say that with a 16g version and the SD card expansion slot at $499 it would make the xoom a better deal than the ipad especially with how much better the hardware and os is over the ipad. I personally think it was a good deal and still is for the 32g its only like $70 more than the 32g ipad and packs way more of a punch than the ipad and ipad2.
    The BrownGuy

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I agree that they should make a 16GB version. I def would have bought it. Not for the price but for the storage, as i am not going to use 32 GB up anytime soon (at least once i perfect video streaming from home. still working the bugs out of that one).

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zuiko View Post
    I'm not sure it really makes sense to make that many models. There is pretty significant overhead with each model they add. Then you have to try to find stores willing to carry more than one model. I don't know why Samsung is planning on coming out with two different sizes that similar either... makes no sense to me.

If they were gonna add new Xoom models, a 64gb would be more interesting just because that would put it over the top with the SD card as the most space available on a tablet. If there was a 64GB available for $699 that is what I would get.
    A 64GB model would make it even less sense. I would bet if Apple took a chart of the number of sales for each model of the Ipad, I would bet that the 16GB wifi only model is the most popular and the 64GB would be the least popular.

I would think that very few people are really interested in a 64GB model of the Xoom especially if you can add 32GB via SD card. People were outraged at the Xoom being 800 bucks and certainly people would not buy a Xoom at 700 bucks even if it offered 64GB storage. I think the 500 buck price target is what most consumers are willing to spend on a tablet computer and I think Motorola needs to try harder to aim at getting a product that fits in that price range.

DrivetheGreen66
    I think the 16 gb would put them in more of a direct competition with the iPad.

Remove Ads

Ads