• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

voice / sms on xoom, options, pros and cons

This is a discussion on voice / sms on xoom, options, pros and cons within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Hi all! I am looking at voice / sms solutions other than just using my cell phone. Here is the little I've got from research. ...

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

voice / sms on xoom, options, pros and cons

Hi all! I am looking at voice / sms solutions other than just using my cell phone. Here is the little I've got from research. I think this topic is NOT xoom specific, and I'm interested in what other forums / sources you all have seen that are best for this topic too, but, my specific big interest is for my xoom.

I have had a skype account for ... ever? 10 years? but I don't use it much, and there have been many advances recently. I have NOT yet got a google voice account .... I want to make voice calls and send sms messages from my xoom, and likely from a few different computers also. A "new" number might be nice to have, but, everyone currently has my cell number, and that's fine for now.

Video chat would be a nice to have.

I also haven't seen any good "quality comparisons" reviews, e.g. is there really any quality difference in a computer skype to cell phone call VS a google voice on computer to cell phone call? What about quality of google voice on computer VS google voice on XOOM, or skype on computer VS skype on XOOM? In other words, do I need to be concerned with the sound quality of the program I'm going to use for voice calls on my XOOM, or, are most of them equivelent?

OPTIONS?

1) skype,
    PROS:
    A) lets you do calls FROM"internet devices" like tablets, computers, phones with no cell serivce, TO other devices with skype, or cell phones, or land lines.
    B) sometimes lets you do video chat too, and, I can't really figure out when :-) e.g. video chat on verizon 4g yes, video chat on verizon 3g no .... does it work on xoom over wifi?
    C) "telephony" features, voice mail, call forwarding, etc.

CON: costs $$ to go to non skype solutions like land lines or cell phones, not a lot, but, costs

2) GOOGLE VOICE
    PROS
    A) lets you call most other lines
    B) integreates with other google software like gmail, etc.
    C) Lots of telephony features, anyone got a good link to comparison of telephony features?
    CONS
    A) AMG BIG (well sort of, see below) doesn't use wifi on your cell phone, it actually makes calls from your device to access lines, so .. you get charged for calls

3) GROOVE IP lets GOOGLE VOICE use VOIP / wifi / data plans, so you don't make calls from your device. Current costs are $5, total.

OK so what other programs are you folks using? are google voice + groove IP VS SKYPE really the only two BIG players? Is there a CLEAR advantage of one over the other?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    i use grooveip/google voice with a bluetooth headset w/voicemail and sms forwarded to my Xoom's gmail

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rive View Post
    i use grooveip/google voice with a bluetooth headset w/voicemail and sms forwarded to my Xoom's gmail
    Thanks! It seems a lot of folks are just like you, using grooveip / google voice with the xoom. I'm trying to figure out (a) WHY do folks use it over skype (just cost?) and (b) are skype VS grooveip / google voice the only real mainstream options?

Thanks!

Remove Ads

Ads