• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Movies wont play smoothly

This is a discussion on Movies wont play smoothly within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; I've copied a few 720p .mp4 movies to my Xoom, and tried playing them in various players, but some just will not play smoothly.Is there ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rubejb

Thread: Movies wont play smoothly

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Movies wont play smoothly

I've copied a few 720p .mp4 movies to my Xoom, and tried playing them in various players, but some just will not play smoothly.Is there anything I can do to improve this?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm having the same problem. I am using MX player and the included video player.

David

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    720p mp4 movies play perfectly on my xoom, using mxvideoplayer.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Xoom Wifi - Stock ICS
    64gb Sandisk Micro SDXC (2)
    32gb Adata Micro SD (class 10 and 6)

No need for a cloud.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm using MX also.
    I found that playing around with the decoding options can work on some videos, but some still not completely lag-free.
    Non-HD videos on the other hand work flawlessly, so maybe I'll just stick to those.

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by apeters14 View Post
    I've copied a few 720p .mp4 movies to my Xoom, and tried playing them in various players, but some just will not play smoothly.Is there anything I can do to improve this?
    Make sure that your video players are set to hardware decoding.

The Xoom can play HD video, even at 1080p, but only if your video files are created using settings compatible with the hardware-decoder.

Player like MX, Dive etc offer support for formats and files that are not compatible with the build-in hardware, and to play these types of files, they use a software-decoding engine. For lower resolution files, the software decoding engine works fine, but when you get to HD resolutions, it is just not powerful enough.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I've found that the built-in video player doesn't play many of my files at all, and that the MX Player wouldn't play any of them in hardware mode, even with the proper plugin.

Last night I stumbled upon a thread of people discussing Xoom's hardware playback capabilities and found a couple of players that work. Out of them, this is the one I'm most happy with:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51bGwsMSwyLDNd

And this is the plugin that it will tell you to install the first time you run it:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...B1LmFybXY3diJd

The vidoes went from choppy and unwatchable in MX Player to smooth as silk in BS Player. I'm on a Wifi Xoom with official ICS 4.0.4, and I'm rooted if that makes a difference.

Also, you can apparently stream media from a media server to your device with BS Player, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Enjoy.
    ggrant3876 and slow1234 like this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by rubejb View Post
    I've found that the built-in video player doesn't play many of my files at all, and that the MX Player wouldn't play any of them in hardware mode, even with the proper plugin.

Last night I stumbled upon a thread of people discussing Xoom's hardware playback capabilities and found a couple of players that work. Out of them, this is the one I'm most happy with:

And this is the plugin that it will tell you to install the first time you run it:

The vidoes went from choppy and unwatchable in MX Player to smooth as silk in BS Player. I'm on a Wifi Xoom with official ICS 4.0.4, and I'm rooted if that makes a difference.

Also, you can apparently stream media from a media server to your device with BS Player, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Enjoy.
    Thanks for the information, this should be very helpful.

LG V60 Dual Screen
    Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 7 Pro

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the heads-up RE BSPlayer. I just installed it (along with the ARMv7 plugin) and am now able to play two video files that I have previously not been able to get to both run smoothly and play the correct audio track on my Xoom using various other video apps (MoboPlayer, VLC media player, mVideoPlayer, RockPlayer). I am very happy to have installed this!

EDIT: I just tried MX Player with the ARMv7 plugin. It also played the two problem files properly.

EDIT 2: Someone has recently resurected VLC Media Player - I just downloaded the latest nightly and it also was able to play the two problem files properly whereas the earlier alpha-version of VLC could not.

Quote Originally Posted by rubejb View Post

Enjoy.
    Last edited by slow1234; 05-22-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Remove Ads

Ads