• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How do you set a static IP address

This is a discussion on How do you set a static IP address within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; On my WiFi only Xoom, this capability is grayed out. On Android 2.3 it's an advanced setting. Any idea how to set a static IP ...

+ Reply to Thread
    Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

How do you set a static IP address

On my WiFi only Xoom, this capability is grayed out. On Android 2.3 it's an advanced setting. Any idea how to set a static IP address?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Grats on your xoom! When you choose your router where it says DHCP click the little arrow to the right of it and choose static. Wait a second or two and the field to type in the static information should appear. Hope this helps.

Edit: Just played around with it some more, and if you scroll down the rest of the manual settings also show up after choosing static.
    Sent from my xoom of death

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Wouldn't it be a better bet to just set a DHCP reservation on your router for your Xoom?

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have two access points in my house. The xoom did see both, but now doesn't see either one of them. I was hoping that if I set a static IP it might help. Also, consistently, the throughput of one was 1/10 of what it was through the other one, no other devices using wireless.

Right now, I'm stuck, as it has no wireless at all. I've rebooted all the APs, router, etc. Other devices, like the laptop I'm writing this on, have no problem at all. My Droid does this once in a while and I pull the battery and do a cold boot, but I don't think there's a way to do that on a xoom, is there?

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Did a factory reset, now both APs are visible. Looks like either the OS or some switch I set was preventing a connection.

However, now, even if I select "static" when choosing a router, it doesn't seem to give me the option of actually setting the IP, DNS, subnet, etc. It just says, "choose a valid IP address" or something like that.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    More info. Turns out the xoom wasn't always giving the static IP settings list after I hit static. Seems random whether it does or not. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Seems like an OS bug to me. When it did give me the static settings list, I could get in a set everything, so all is well now. I'm going to leave well enough alone in order to keep from having to do a factory reset again.

Thanks for the input, though. I doubt it will be the last time I get stuck.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Glad ya got it working finally.
    Sent from my xoom of death

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

DHCP to Statice (Save Button not work)

Thanks your following information, but when i click my Android from DHCP to Static its save button not working,,,, kindly advise if there is any option ??
    Zameer

Quote Originally Posted by bringer View Post
    Grats on your xoom! When you choose your router where it says DHCP click the little arrow to the right of it and choose static. Wait a second or two and the field to type in the static information should appear. Hope this helps.

Edit: Just played around with it some more, and if you scroll down the rest of the manual settings also show up after choosing static.

Ads