• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

backing up xoom apps (saves) with ICS

This is a discussion on backing up xoom apps (saves) with ICS within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Hi I am currently a uk xoom owner stuck with honeycomb. I want to GEDify my device however my wife has hrs of saves on ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: backing up xoom apps (saves) with ICS

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

backing up xoom apps (saves) with ICS

Hi

I am currently a uk xoom owner stuck with honeycomb.

I want to GEDify my device however my wife has hrs of saves on a number of games.

From what i can tell an app save backup is not possible without rooting on HC BUT it IS supported in ICS - though the posts i found on google are not that recent and seem to be hit and miss.

I cant wait to ditch motorolla UK and get a GED machine, can anyone here confirm that doing a full backup on ics with the xoom is doable and that it works well?

thanks
    Mike
    Fiat Coupe 20VT+ gone but not forgotten. Long live the 350Z.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2219 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    If you can wait just a bit read post #176 of this thread. Earlier today I believe he said it was about a week away.
    Has anyone in the UK actually had the update yet? ICS

Note 3 - DARTHSTALKER NOTE3 ☆ | VERSiON 7
    LG-G3 Rooted TWRP'ed
    NotePro 12.2 64Gb

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Twitter
    SimonJStuart
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike20vt View Post
    Hi

I am currently a uk xoom owner stuck with honeycomb.

I want to GEDify my device however my wife has hrs of saves on a number of games.

From what i can tell an app save backup is not possible without rooting on HC BUT it IS supported in ICS - though the posts i found on google are not that recent and seem to be hit and miss.

I cant wait to ditch motorolla UK and get a GED machine, can anyone here confirm that doing a full backup on ics with the xoom is doable and that it works well?

thanks
    Mike
    What I do is plug the Xoom into the PC (make sure Android is running and that USB Debugging is enabled on it).

Remove any external SD card from your Xoom before you do this!

With the Android SDK installed and the Command Prompt running in its "Platform Tools" folder (see the GEDifying guide), type the following:

adb pull / backup

This will then copy the non-root contents of your Xoom's internal memory to your PC. I suggest you selectively filter through these folders and try to delete any files/folders not related to the stuff you want backing up (particularly if it looks like it's probably a "system file" related to Honeycomb, though there should be very few of these to speak of).

I've had people complain that this is useless without root, but they are clearly misunderstanding what root is and how it works. Since your device isn't rooted, none of your apps can write to the root areas, meaning all you need to back up are the non-root areas anyway!

Once you've GEDified (before you start installing the OTA updates), you can push this content back to your Xoom. Remembering to re-enable USB Debugging on the Xoom, in the Command Prompt you'll type:

adb push backup /

This will now copy the backup back on to your Xoom, hopefully restoring your app data (saved games etc). Note you may still need to reinstall the apps themselves as just putting the apk files back onto the Xoom in some cases may not be enough (personally I haven't bothered backing up my apps when reflashing the Xoom, since it's easy enough for me to reinstall them and I use this particular Xoom for experimentation only anyway - I have more than one Xoom)

Good luck and enjoy!
    bigmike20vt likes this.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    thanks for the info guys, i shall do that as soon as i get the ota ics update.

@ggrant, I know ics is coming soon (apparently) but given how bad we have been treated the fact is, by the time we get ICS GED users will be getting Jellybean. What are the chances of the uk getting that before 2013???

Once I get the uk OTA ICS, If i can then go the the us firmware it will be far better for the long term.

This whole blaming it on individual phone companies for holding back the updates makes some sense on the 3G devices, but on WIFI.... give me a break Motorola.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2219 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308

@ggrant, I know ics is coming soon (apparently) but given how bad we have been treated the fact is, by the time we get ICS GED users will be getting Jellybean. What are the chances of the uk getting that before 2013???

Once I get the uk OTA ICS, If i can then go the the us firmware it will be far better for the long term.

This whole blaming it on individual phone companies for holding back the updates makes some sense on the 3G devices, but on WIFI.... give me a break Motorola.
    Your guess is as good as mine, but you see how the UK wifi ICS update's going. More and more people are Gedifying their Xooms and saying they wish they had done it sooner.
    LaKraven likes this.

Note 3 - DARTHSTALKER NOTE3 ☆ | VERSiON 7
    LG-G3 Rooted TWRP'ed
    NotePro 12.2 64Gb

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Twitter
    SimonJStuart

You misunderstand: you want to perform the steps I previously posted with Honeycomb on your tablet! Don't wait for the ICS update or it won't work! See, invariably you'll miss some system files when deleting them form the backup, and since the backup will be from Honeycomb, you'll want to restore the backup to your GEDified tablet running Honeycomb (the GED firmware starts off with Honeycomb then you get OTA updates right up to - currently - ICS 4.0.4).

It's important if you want to conduct a backup that you do it from Honeycomb and not wait for Motorola's bastardized OTA update for ICS!
    bigmike20vt likes this.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    oh right, ok, sorry i didnt think it was possible to pack up app saves/other data in HC without rooting!.

in which case i will probably give it a go later today

thanks

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Twitter
    SimonJStuart
    oh right, ok, sorry i didnt think it was possible to pack up app saves/other data in HC without rooting!.

in which case i will probably give it a go later today

thanks
    No worries! And you'll get to use the simplified guide, too... so it won't be difficult at all

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    hi

i must be a complete numbskull
    I have downloaded the android sdk but all i can see is the sdk manager and no option to run a cmd window
    i also downloaded adbtools, but when i typed the command you gave in there, it just closed and did nothing
    (running adbtools the command window actually asks to select from 23 options but it does state that a device must be rooted

I have just downloaded the latest (8th july) gedify guide. I know it is a lot to ask but Lakraven as you seem to know so much, could you write a simple guide for idiots on how to backup a device without root?

Even if not, then many thanks for your help

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Twitter
    SimonJStuart
    hi

i must be a complete numbskull
    I have downloaded the android sdk but all i can see is the sdk manager and no option to run a cmd window
    i also downloaded adbtools, but when i typed the command you gave in there, it just closed and did nothing
    (running adbtools the command window actually asks to select from 23 options but it does state that a device must be rooted

I have just downloaded the latest (8th july) gedify guide. I know it is a lot to ask but Lakraven as you seem to know so much, could you write a simple guide for idiots on how to backup a device without root?

Even if not, then many thanks for your help
    You don't need to download and install the Android SDK.
    The updated guide provides an All-In-One download which contains the necessary portions of the SDK. The instructions tell you to open a Command Prompt Window from Windows Explorer (or "My Computer" as some people call it) inside of the folder to which you extracted the contents of the All-In-One package.

The backup process is only two steps:

BEFORE YOU UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER:

1) Enable "USB Debugging" on your Xoom
    2) Ensure you have the USB Xoom drivers installed (as per the GED guide)
    3) Plug the Xoom into your PC and open the Command Prompt Window (as explained in the GED guide)
    4) Type adb pull / backup
    5) Follow the guide as regards unlocking the bootloader AND flashing the GED firmware
    6) Once you've completed the guide, don't do any of the updates but re-enable USB Debugging.
    7) In the command prompt window (which should still be open on your PC) type adb push backup /
    8) Restart the Xoom

If everything has worked correctly, you should now have restored the contents of your Xoom.

9) Install all the updates and you're done

I make absolutely no guarantees that everything will be correctly backed up and restored... this is an "at your own risk" thing.
    bigmike20vt likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads