• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

verizon 3g or 4g lte xoom? [how to tell]

This is a discussion on verizon 3g or 4g lte xoom? [how to tell] within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Just buy a Xoom? wondering if it is a 3g or 4g lte capable tablet? Since there seems to be much confusion on determining if ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rive

Thread: verizon 3g or 4g lte xoom? [how to tell]

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    126 times

verizon 3g or 4g lte xoom? [how to tell]

Just buy a Xoom? wondering if it is a 3g or 4g lte capable tablet?

Since there seems to be much confusion on determining if a verizon xoom is 3g or 4g lte, considering both the MZ600 (3G CDMA) and MZ602 (4G LTE) appear to have a SIM card slot (it is only functional in MZ602 lte versions), here is an easy surefire way to tell, that will leave no confusion whatsoever.

On ICS go to settings>wireless and networks>more>mobile networks>network mode

if its a 4g lte, you will see the option for either LTE/CDMA or CDMA, if you dont see the LTE/CDMA option, then you have a 3g only Verizon (CDMA only) Xoom

if you dont see network mode at all, then you have a wifi only model (all 3g/4g lte Xooms will be branded with Verizon at top right above screen, and back bottom right)

Verizon 4G LTE Motorola Xoom Tablet
    Last edited by rive; 01-05-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    _sam_k likes this.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Comes as 3g but you had to upgrade by March 31, 2012 which seems a little crazy don't understand the reasoning behind that decision

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    109 times
    I am not sure but a guess is that Motorola didnt want to have to maintain the staffing, tracking and logistics of this forever. They used some contractors to do the work so to keep it up after a certain timeframe would be expensive. Would have been nice if they sold the parts as a kit after the end date though.
    Xoom 4G/ Verizon
    Team EOS Jelly Bean Nightlies Rock!

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

new xoom

I am very new to the forum, but I've been standing by reading the thoughts of great guys. I just bought a Xoom mz600 via amazon few days ago. I got it delivered to me before I know its CDMA, what baffel s me is that it the programs In it was very scanty with few apps. I made an internet connection to it via wifi and as soon as its connected few moments later it prompted me that it want to upgrade and it did this to 4.0.x and later about eight hours interval it prompted again that its upgrading this time to 4.1.2, please could this tab have been locked to Verizon? Was it upgraded by verizon or could it be in neutral position as it has not been used before uptill now ive not seen a single verizon word or logo inside its apps, menu ,files and prograams .Please is it possible I use another CDMA network sim with it? I read through the user manual they said the sim slot and the SD slot will be active after it upgrade, BEfore I could get a CDMA sim to use I will have to travel to the city which is about 7 hours journey, I want to be sure of what am doing before embacking on this trip. I will appreciate any assistance , and I don't even know if it can be converted to GSM.

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Nope. No GSM/UMTS support

It'll only work with Verizon CDMA, and does not support a SIM. The Mz600 has a dummy Sim board, that would have been replaced had it been upgraded (upgraded MZ600 Xooms become MZ602 Xooms)

(In the USA, Verizon CDMA devices do not require a SIM at all, only Verizon LTE devices use a SIM)

The Verizon MZ600/MZ602 Xooms have Verizon Logo on front/back and backs are black, if yours isn't black, and doesn't have logos, it isn't a MZ600/MZ602

No UMTS/GSM support, and you cannot use any 3G CDMA Sims/carriers at all. Verizon CDMA Xooms support non-sim 3G only in USA.

To be able to use a 3G SIM, you need a 3G MZ601 UMTS Xoom (and then you have to flash the region build)
    Xoom Software Downloads

So basically, you have a WiFi only Xoom

You would have been better off getting a nexus 7 razor that is carrier unlocked (worldband) for $200 new, or even a dell venue 8 pro win8 tab for $150...the Xoom is obsolete, and at end of life. Either the Nexus Razor, or Dell Venue would serve you better.
    Last edited by rive; 04-16-2014 at 12:41 AM.
    My Xoom LTE replacement tablet: Nexus 7 (Razor) unlocked 4G/LTE Lollipop 5.0.2

2GIG DIY
    (Dummies Guide: How To DIY Home Security and Automation)

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all. Sorry that write int this old thread but have the same problem. I cannot find out what tablet I have MZ600 or MZ602. The problem is that tablet flashed and now in info of device I see LTE. This is the firmware for LTE MZ602. But worst of all I cannot save setting of CDMA, many programs was used but no one can save settings. I know how to do this, before I programmed phones for EVDO 3G.

Remove Ads

Ads