• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[How To] Back Up Your Entire Tablet Without Rooting.

This is a discussion on [How To] Back Up Your Entire Tablet Without Rooting. within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; [How To] Back Up Your Entire Tablet Without Rooting Most Android users need root to backup their phones and tablets, but there is a growing ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Astrix
  • 1 Post By cazza

Thread: [How To] Back Up Your Entire Tablet Without Rooting.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    729 times
    Twitter
    It's a bird

[How To] Back Up Your Entire Tablet Without Rooting.

[How To]
    Back Up Your Entire Tablet Without Rooting

Most Android users need root to backup their phones and tablets, but there is a growing number of devices where this is no longer the case. Google made a change in Android 4 ICS that lets you backup apps, data and system apps without root. Several methods have been in circulation to do so: some require the Android SDK to work while others use part of the SDK like the Ultimate Backup Tool.

Simple ADB Backup is without doubt one of the easiest programs to backup data from your Android 4.x device without root access. The program has a few requirements that are identical to other programs of its kind.

You need to enable USB debugging on the device. To do so, open the Settings and scroll down to about device. Tap on the build number here seven times. This activates the developer options menu under settings. Note that the menus may have different names on your phone, I can only tell you how they are called on the Samsung Galaxy Note II.
    Go back to Settings. You should now see the new menu Developer Options under System. Locate the USB Debugging setting and tap on it to activate it.
    While you are here, tap on desktop backup password and set it as well as you need to do so before you can create backups. The default password is not set so leave that field empty.

Backing up Android without root

Now that we have prepared the phone or tablet for the backup we can start to use the desktop program. The program displays a simple gui to you that you can use to perform various backup and restore related operations.

Backup all without system apps
    Backup all with system apps (unsafe)
    Backup app data and device data
    Backup apps
    Backup storage / SD card
    Backup a single app
    Restore

First thing you may want to do is change the location of the backup. When you click on an option you will be reminded that you need to set a desktop password before the operation starts. You are then asked on your phone to unlock it and enter the device encryption password to start the backup.

Once you have entered it tap on back up my data to get started. The process may take a while depending on the type of backup that you have selected in the program window.

The application can be run on Windows or Linux systems and is without doubt one of the easiest options to create a full Android backup without rooting the device.

Source and Thanks: Leeshor for the tips and Ghacks.net

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Nice find Bro.

Note 8
    Galaxy S8 Plus
    Nexus 6 - PureNexus

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    270 times
    Twitter
    misscassyL
    I will have a look at this thanks
    Astrix likes this.

I'm not an Apple groupie

UK 3G STOCK

not at all techy, but I'll do my best to find out!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    729 times
    Twitter
    It's a bird

Re: [How To] Back Up Your Entire Tablet Without Rooting.

Quote Originally Posted by cazza View Post
    I will have a look at this thanks
    You got Nelly..go and root your Xoom sis

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    270 times
    Twitter
    misscassyL
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrix View Post
    You got Nelly..go and root your Xoom sis
    Nah.........

I'm not an Apple groupie

UK 3G STOCK

not at all techy, but I'll do my best to find out!

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Twitter
    thetechguru_net
    Great find. I will be trying this tomorrow.

Alan
    "As a member of the Verizon Wireless Customer Council I received a Motorola Xoom for free in exchange for giving them and posting my honest review of the device.

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    So I have more then one Xoom and I want to ensure that all of them continue to work for some time, backups make sense...

Why is "Backup all with system apps (unsafe)" actually unsafe?

Is any of this actually creating an image of the entore tablet or does the tablet have to up and running 4.x+ for this to work?

I guess that I may be asking is this a way to 'Ghost' a tablet, and can this even be done?

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    hi there - I tried downloading the above ADB software Zip file but it came up invalid archive using wINZIP - tried the tar file on my mac but same problem - I lost all my data and apps on my galaxy tab 2.7.0 while playing a game - it went into reset mode without being asked!!! So I want to back up my other tabs - can you help - is their a better link to ADB Backup download?
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrix View Post
    [How To]
    Back Up Your Entire Tablet Without Rooting

Most Android users need root to backup their phones and tablets, but there is a growing number of devices where this is no longer the case. Google made a change in Android 4 ICS that lets you backup apps, data and system apps without root. Several methods have been in circulation to do so: some require the Android SDK to work while others use part of the SDK like the Ultimate Backup Tool.

Simple ADB Backup is without doubt one of the easiest programs to backup data from your Android 4.x device without root access. The program has a few requirements that are identical to other programs of its kind.

You need to enable USB debugging on the device. To do so, open the Settings and scroll down to about device. Tap on the build number here seven times. This activates the developer options menu under settings. Note that the menus may have different names on your phone, I can only tell you how they are called on the Samsung Galaxy Note II.
    Go back to Settings. You should now see the new menu Developer Options under System. Locate the USB Debugging setting and tap on it to activate it.
    While you are here, tap on desktop backup password and set it as well as you need to do so before you can create backups. The default password is not set so leave that field empty.

Backing up Android without root

Now that we have prepared the phone or tablet for the backup we can start to use the desktop program. The program displays a simple gui to you that you can use to perform various backup and restore related operations.

Backup all without system apps
    Backup all with system apps (unsafe)
    Backup app data and device data
    Backup apps
    Backup storage / SD card
    Backup a single app
    Restore

First thing you may want to do is change the location of the backup. When you click on an option you will be reminded that you need to set a desktop password before the operation starts. You are then asked on your phone to unlock it and enter the device encryption password to start the backup.

Once you have entered it tap on back up my data to get started. The process may take a while depending on the type of backup that you have selected in the program window.

The application can be run on Windows or Linux systems and is without doubt one of the easiest options to create a full Android backup without rooting the device.

Source and Thanks: Leeshor for the tips and Ghacks.net

Remove Ads

Ads