• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

The Official "I Got My Xoom" Thread!!!

This is a discussion on The Official "I Got My Xoom" Thread!!! within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; I'm a little late to this thread. I have had mine since release and have to say that this tablet is very sweet. The only ...

Page 35 of 82 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: The Official "I Got My Xoom" Thread!!!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    I'm a little late to this thread. I have had mine since release and have to say that this tablet is very sweet. The only thing that needs improvement IMO is a way to backup and restore painlessly. Other than that I use the cloud a lot on it, emailing is a breeze, document editing, movies! Music! photos! of course, a little gaming, reading...what can't this thing do? I am loving the Google sync that lets me keep everything organized all the time.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Twitter
    Isendk
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver7714 View Post
    Give us a quick shout, once you pick up your Xoom.
    Hello from Denmark - The land of still no official Xoom :-!

Had my brother bring one home from U.S. got it this saturday - Absolutely no regrets :-D And judging from the reactions on danish tech-forums, there a hole lot of envy out there;-)

Best regards
    Isendk

Sent from my Xoom (what else;-) ) using Tapatalk

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Twitter
    zakolson
    Got mine yesterday and I love it

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi !!, i'm from spain, the past week i travel to NY and buy my Xoom.... I love it, so..... the slot microSD is a slot of the honeycomb GRRRSSS!!!
    Last edited by Ollie; 10-05-2011 at 04:00 AM. Reason: please mind your language

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Twitter
    PFIGuy

Got mine and learned the issue of rooting, but researching steps

Picked mine up from Best Buy. Checked first with the website and it showed they were in stock.

Once I got there, checked with people in the cell phone dept and they tried to sell me the 3G. I told them I was looking for the WiFi only (as in that week's ad), but they didn't know about a WiFi only.

Went over to computers and finally found a display with the WiFi only, but no stock to be found. Finally got someone's attention (amazing when you don't want help you cannot keep from tripping over a blue shirt'er), but they didn't know if there was any.

He went off for about 5 to 10 minutes (trying to find inventory must be tough) and he came back with one in hand.

All the accessories tagged near the display were empty. Baffles me as to what Best Buy was planning to run ads announcing a new product and accessories, but no one knows about it or were the inventory is or if there are any available accessories.

Finally got the Xoom home and started to install apps, discovered the Amazon Android Apps Store, changed the layout on the screens and started having lots fun.

As an iPad owner also, I knew about rooting for both platforms, but was too chicken to try it on the iPad. Found serveral sites talking about the rooting and had to piece together all the incomplete steps to begin the process.

Unfortunately, I didn't note the part that EVERYTHING before rooting would be lost.

Spent the next couple hours recovering all my previous apps and settings. The Google backup had not taken on my apps and settings. Thankfully, Amazon Android Apps had all of my purchases and cleanly reinstalled them.

Having stability issues (specifically on video streaming) and with websites with embedded videos/heavy java scripting causing full reboots. Some forced closes.

Think Honeycomb on a dual core is better than iPad1, but need more apps and stability makes iPad better for the non-techie users.

Looking forward to updates and more apps for specifically tablets.

Agent Xoom
    Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    Welcome guys! To the post just before mine .. I disagree about the non-techi bit. I am just that with a 3G Xoom since launch day in Feb. with only two hiccups. My oldest daughter, a graphic design artist from Chicago has a iPad1 and I wouldn't swap .. I can't wait to show her my Xoom the next time we meet up. he he

As for apps... don't forget that iPad had the same problems when it first came out. Today 10 more tablet apps were added to the market. You can expect a big growth in the next few months.. patience will reward you.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Proud owner of a Xooooooooommmmmmmm since a week now!,,,,,

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My Xoom is ready to pick up at the post office! Will be getting it after Supper!

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Twitter
    james_cull
    I finally got my XOOM yesterday after waiting for the delayed UK launch and here are my thoughts.

Firstly: what a tablet. It's better than I imagined it to be - the Honeycomb interface is so slick and futuristic (especially when compared to iOS, which is looking pretty out of date now...) and the apps that came with it certainly do it justice. The browser is fantastic and super quick - it renders webpages really well and I love the fact the XOOM supports Flash (even though the current version is still beta). The lack of SD card support at the moment doesn't really bother me, the 32GB internal memory is more than enough at the moment and even though I've filled it up with all my music and quite a few videos, I've only used about 10GB of storage. I also love the Music app that comes as standard - it really does my music collection justice.

Secondly: the battery life. This blew me away as well - I was playing around with it last night and in 6 hours with pretty much constant surfing the Net over Wi-Fi and music playing over Bluetooth, the battery dropped from 100% to 60% which is far better than I imagined. I've got a Desire HD phone and the battery life on that is, well, lamentable to say the least - I've pretty much had to switch off all auto-syncing to get a full day's use out the battery.

My only two gripes with it at the moment are:

1. At the moment, there is a distinct lack of optimised Honeycomb apps. This forum has a good list already but it really needs to keep growing. I assume that as more Honeycomb tablets hit the markets, this will provide an incentive for developers to optimise the existing apps for Honeycomb. The ones that are already optimised for it are quite good though but I would like to see more optimised Honeycomb apps quite soon. Also, I would like to see the Android Market have a dedicated section for tablet apps - searching for them at the moment is a bit hit-and-miss.

2. The screen gets very dirty with grubby pawprints pretty quickly! I have to keep wiping it down every so often otherwise the screen looks quite faded. It's a pity that Motorola didn't put any kind of coating on the screen, like on the iPad, to repel fingerprints (or at least keep them to a minimum) but hey, you can't have everything.

All in all, I would say it is well worth the money I paid for it (479 of my hard-earned British pounds). If more apps come along for it, then it certainly will kill off Apple's near monopoly on the tablet market. I know the XOOM is the first tablet with Honeycomb and we've all sort of been Motorola's guinea pigs in testing it out, but I'm seriously impressed with it at the moment. I'm confident to say that this tablet will increase in popularity as more and more people want to try something different. Let's face it, the upgrade from the iPad to the iPad 2 wasn't particularly impressive, whereas Honeycomb is almost like a new OS in comparison to the previous Android versions.

All feedback welcome...

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Finally took the plung and got a wfi at bestbuy last night, walked in to get an optical audio cable for my tv and walked out with a xoom (and the cable, I didn't forget)

What an amazing tablet, when I first turned it on it immediatly downloaded all of my apps that are on my D2G, then I rooted it and started going to town, and WOW, too bad Bestbut didn't have the keyboard in stock, I decided to just get the flip case and maybe I'll get the keyboard later, for now this this is amazing, it was outperforms what I was expecting I'm glad I decided to not cheap out and buy some 7" walmart android tablet.

Page 35 of 82 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads