• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

KitKat on Xoom?

This is a discussion on KitKat on Xoom? within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; KitKat 4.4.2 is here: [ROM][4.4.2] OmniROM - Wingray - bigPart - xda-developers It need BigPartition, and insructuions are very clear and documented. Easy to follow, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: KitKat on Xoom?

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    KitKat 4.4.2 is here:
    [ROM][4.4.2] OmniROM - Wingray - bigPart - xda-developers
    It need BigPartition, and insructuions are very clear and documented.
    Easy to follow, easy to do; try it!!
    Of course you will clean all your internal SDCARD, then it is recomendable to backup all your key datas.
    Suerte!!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootnmd View Post
    I have the WIFI only XOOM. I am beginning to think that it is time for a new tablet instead of trying to root, patch, repartioin and then load another ROM.
    However, should more information appear, I might hold off on that. Tablets often go on sale after the CES.
    I installed omni rom today and its running great. Apart from having to flash a new recovery its basically the same as flashing any other rom. And once its partitioned you don't have to do it again.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

cm11

Big part upgrade and cm11 seems like the best way to go and I have had better luck with it than omni rom been running for several days and only had one random reboot. Only problem I had was only could get wing ray to work on my 4G xoom but that's fine with me because I only use as a wifi device for the time being any way. ... Just my 2 cents!

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I haven't had time to upgrade to Kit Kat, but I have gone to Android 4.2.2. The process isn't difficult at all. Unfortunately I won't have time to really work with this for you at all to next week. There are very few things you will lose, but the gains are phenomenal! Antutu scores went from 7650 to 13,650. It's like a brand new machine. I'll get back with you on Monday.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootnmd View Post
    Ok, I have posted on XDA in the correct forum. The instructions for how to do this are 10 steps. I am a neophyte, I have not done anything like rooting my WIFI XOOM since I purchased it and found it to have the UK ROM. I posted here and was pointed to the most helpful set of instructions which I used to load the USA ROM on my XOOM. Once I did that UPDATES flowed like a river. So, here I am. I have the 10 steps and all I know how to do is up to step three booting to recovery. So, far the XDA community has not been very responsive. So, here is what I am hoping to find. A guide that not only lists the steps but explains how to do them. For example how do you flash? Gee, I don't know. Wipe Menu? What's that? Basically in terms of the technical skill and knowledge necessary to load the 4.4 KitKat on my Xoom I am sorely lacking. Thank you in advance.

BTW I have the WIFI only XOOM.
    This isn't the ten steps that you mentioned, but 13 of them. I think that this clip might be of help. I know that I'm going to try it early next week, but for now, I can't afford the time to work out the details.

BTW-I have a Stingray Xoom(3g) running under a Wingray (Wifi) Operating System(OS), Android 4.2.2. So, if I can use the Wingray software on mine you should be able to do the same with yours. I will let you know what happens when I try to go to KitKat.
    Attached Images
    chadwick108 likes this.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsman View Post

BTW-I have a Stingray Xoom(3g) running under a Wingray (Wifi) Operating System(OS), Android 4.2.2. So, if I can use the Wingray software on mine you should be able to do the same with yours. I will let you know what happens when I try to go to KitKat.
    That you haven't replied back is no surprise.

That post you attached. Isn't related to Kit Kat or the Xoom, and will mess you up badly if you follow it;
    actually you can't it's for the Nexus 5,

It's just bad info on so many points. I've only used TWRP and have never a problem,
    there was a bad release but quickly taken care of with version 2.2.2.0 - TWRPv2.6.3 is required for BigPart.

I'm all ready to do the deed (all the files collected), these are links I've collected for myself but posted here in case they may help.
    The first two just talk about bigpart and Kit Kat the bottom two will walk you through BigPart and the 4.4.2 (Kit Kat) installation - as of the date posted here.

Squeeze Bigger ROMs onto the Motorola Xoom with BigPart
    Squeeze Bigger ROMs onto the Motorola Xoom with BigPart ? xda-developers

Motorola Xoom Still Alive and Kicking, Receives Functional KitKat
    Motorola Xoom Still Alive and Kicking, Receives Functional KitKat ? xda-developers

BigPart Repartition Upgrade and Resource Center
    BigPart Repartition Upgrade and Resource Center - xda-developers

4.4.2 (Kit Kat)
    [ROM][4.4.2] OmniROM - Wingray - bigPart - xda-developers
    (this link also slaps your hand if you don't use Wingray for the WiFi)

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    Yep pretty straight forward instructions. I had to do a few factory resets and mess with mounting the system manually.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Well, it's taken longer for me to get back with you than I figured, but this has not been unfruitful.

In the time since I've written, besides all the other things I've done, I have gone to Kit-Kat. There are some very helpful things I want to share with you all,

1. I seriously urge you to do two things before you switch to Kit-Kat. Make a backup to the Cloud and the other thing you need to do is to duplicate your external sdcard. The reason why I tell you to do this is because that while I was working on my tablet I was also working on three other computers, got distracted and ended up formatting my external card.

Fortunately I was able to recover most of my files, and immediately went out to buy a new 64 Gig Sdhc (not Sdxc) card. Duplicating your external is a cinch. Make sure that the new card is fat32 formatted. Then insert the new card in a card reader. Shut your tablet down and remove your external sdcard from the tablet. Insert your external card in another card reader. Insert both of these readers into slots on a pc and duplicate your external. You don't need to use a bit-copier-just duplicate the card. This is the fastest way to do this. After doing this, reinsert one of your cards into your tablet and reboot your tablet.

2. I have an MZ600. I tried and found out that the following worked. It should work for you as well.

3. I very carefully followed the instructions for the Omnirom solution. It would not work for me, but would boot then when the desktop appeared, would immediately reboot automatically. I was not able to get this to work at all..

4. Cyanogenmod works extremely well. Read this material very carefully.
    [ROM][4.4.2] CyanogenMod 11.0 - Wingray Stingray Everest - bigPart - xda-developers

5. Look around and get hold of all of these, then we will get around to installing Kit-Kat on your tablet.

. A. Get hold of, and download "TWRP 2.6.3.0" and "TWRP 2.6.3.0 BigPart" to the root directory of your external sdcard.
    B. Do the same with "cm_11-20140211-unofficial-1958-0100-wingray. Zip". I have tried other Cwm files, but this is the smoothest operating one I tried. Too, if you have the opportunity, and you will, use the "Launcher 3" option, otherwise the program may crash.
    C. Also do the same with the "pa-gapps-modular-full-4.4.2-20131230-signed.zip". I tried the mini, as opposed to the full gapps file. The full version is much better rounded. Too, the "kk" version causes the tablet to crash.

NEXT:

Read, and follow the instructions for installing and repartitioning of your drive that are given here exactly, EXCEPT that when you flash TWRP BigPart, then you will be asked for a password-click "Cancel", then go to "Home", and continue with the rest of the repartitioning.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2506997

Finally, reboot and flash both the cm_11 and pa-gapps files. You will not need to flash a supervisor file. This is already included in your cm file.

That's it. Your tablet should work beautifully. The only problem that I have found is that there seems to be no way to move programs to operate from your external drive. If I find a way to do this, I will let you know.

Unfortunately, even with the cpu set to 1700, the Kit-Kat 4.4.2 XOOM is not quite as fast as the JB 4.2.2 XOOM, but it resolves the problems of 4.2.2, and is still extremely fast. I'll check back in a couple of days and see if I can answer any questions.

Blessings,
    Last edited by Kingsman; 02-18-2014 at 01:42 PM.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    This all needs to be in the kitkat forum section!

Well we have every other os section and kitkat takes more work so to avoid confusion and keep xoomforums organized i vote new section
    CWM 3.2 lol - Eos #155 - 1.6ghz interactive day & night- Antutu 8112

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    OmniROM FTW baby!
    ggrant3876 likes this.

Running OmniROM 4.4.2
    TWRP Recovery 2.6.3.0

Ads