• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Motorola should recall the xoom. So many have the reboot problem.

This is a discussion on Motorola should recall the xoom. So many have the reboot problem. within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; How many people forked out a rather large amount of money for the xoom to have it eventually fruit out and go into unstoppable reboot ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kingsman

Thread: Motorola should recall the xoom. So many have the reboot problem.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Motorola should recall the xoom. So many have the reboot problem.

How many people forked out a rather large amount of money for the xoom to have it eventually fruit out and go into unstoppable reboot loops.
    I have a zoom that was completely stock with that problem. I seemed that it would work for a while when cool. only to start rebooting continuously after it warmed up a bit, rendering it completely useless. (it never gets hot to the touch). With this in mind, I put it in the freezer for a few minutes while it is rebooting, when I take it out, it is operating normally and will operate for a while until it warms up again.
    Motorola has been selling an expensive defective product, and is not standing behind it. I would like to know what percentage of the xooms are having this problem. From the posts Ive seen, it is high.
    Has anyone ever fixed this problem? Did you let Motorola know? I text chatted with Motorola and they said they said it needed to be repaired ( no kidding) but they did not offer to pay for it. They said it would be $150 dollars to repair it.
    Who would put 150 dollars into something that they already sunk 500 dollars into thinking they had a quality product.
    Motorola should be ashamed and make good on these defective pieces of junk.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    The problem you're experiencing is normal to all tablets. The issue for you especially, isn't a hardware problem, but software related. Your Xoom may be as much as three years old, and be so clogged with stray bits of information as to need to be reformatted to the original factory specs, this is a problem with your User Interface (UI). Like a car needing to have reasonable maintenance, your tablet also needs some care, and someone seems to have neglected this.

The Xoom, though you might not think so right now, is one of the great pieces of hardware out there. Let's see if we can fix it.

1. If you can't boot your Xoom, go to step 2. Otherwise, if you can boot your tablet, do so now, and continue.

In the lower right corner of stock Xooms there are several small icons. Touch these. This will bring up a new screen, scroll down the list that is displayed and look for something that says something like "Factory Reset". Choose this option. You will lose everything you had on your tablet, but at this point, I don't think that this is a problem, you just want to be able to use the Xoom. So, choose this option.

After awhile, the tablet will reboot to the original User Interface (Android 3.0), and you will need to walk through all the steps to bring it up to Android 4.1.2, rebooting quite a few times along the way. This will solve the problem.

2. If you cannot boot your tablet, this is a eke different story that will be access to a Windows Computer (PC). If you are able to arrange for this, let me know, and I will walk you through everything with you and we'll get your tablet fixed from there.

Blessings

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I appreciate your helpful nature sir. I have already done a factory reset (many times). It resets to version 4.1.2 (not 3.0) and still has the same problems. By the way did you read the part that says when I cool it down in the freezer for a few minutes it works until it warms up again? (maybe 15 or 20 minutes) with no other software installed whatsover. Thank for the response. Always willing to listen.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Ok, I need to gather some materials when I get back to my pc and come back with a cohesive method for action. Yes, I did read the part about the freezer-interesting, but not unrelated to what is happening. I forgot about the factory reset going to the latest rom that had been released.

Blessings,

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Resuscitation

Kingsman...
    You will get my Xoom Verizon 4G from me when you pry it from my cold dead hand. I really see no reason to "upgrade", no matter what the salesman says.
    However, I bought a Xyboard 10.1 16meg 4G for a song. It had 4.0.1 on it I think. Came up with the "shall I upgrade" screen. So I did. Now all it does is show Motorola
    logo then blank screen. I'm a techie, but a rooting noob. Moto wants 150$ to "reflash". Can I get the Xyboard back under control and experiment with rooting?
    I might just learn something along the way. Point me there, if you could?
    But you cant have my Xoom. It's MiNE, I tell you!
    --Doc

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I'm sorry that it took so long to get back with you, but, if you will, could you tell me if you have access to a pc? If you do, I think that I can help you. Thanks

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hey Doc,

I'm the last person who would want to discourage you or anyone from using the Xoom.

Even though mine is an early model (MZ600), it's running Omnirom's KitKat 4.4.2, the CPU operating at 1700MHz, has an Antutu score of 13500, the internal is 32 Gigs, the external has 64 Gigs and has just about every port you could dream of. At this point, the Xoom is still a dream machine!

Though Motorola quit supporting us, we have a large, enriched user base that is actively writing our software and Os's to conform with the very latest Android standards including multitasking, etc..

I've had eight different tablets, but the Xoom is the most durable, hardest working, reliable one of the lot. I wish you all the best for years to come with yours as well.
    dexter morgan likes this.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Guys,

for thoses that have the reboot problem, i have found a solution. As many of you noticed when the device is cooled the problem go away. It is not a quick fix but only takes 1/2 hour and removing 2 screws. I wish Motorola wouls assume reponsability and fix the issue. The heat spreader over the cpu is inadequate/ too small, I have made a small change using alluminum foil paper that i folded until it is about 1/8" thick and 1.5x1.5" square to touch the back plate and heat spreader of cpu. i applied some cpu thermal paste on the top of the heat spreader and place the foil paper over it. securing the alluminum foil with clear tape on side.
    My reboot has gone away. I can finally use the tablet. some of you that do not see the problem might be due to the fact that the heat spreader is making a better connection to cpu. I have improved this by ensure that it touches the back back/ bottom plate of the xoom to dissipate maxium energy.

Its not pretty but it works and will save you a tablet!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by izzyoo7; 07-06-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    thanks a lot

Remove Ads

Ads