• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Questions for Xoom owners.

This is a discussion on Questions for Xoom owners. within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Hi, I have been looking at the Xoom for about a month. When it was announced that the new galaxy tabs (8.9/10.1) would be using ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bengewarmer

Thread: Questions for Xoom owners.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question Questions for Xoom owners.

Hi, I have been looking at the Xoom for about a month. When it was announced that the new galaxy tabs (8.9/10.1) would be using a custom skin of Honeycomb and would not be coming out until this summer, I decided that I would be getting the WiFi Xoom when it came out in Canada. I still have a couple of questions and doubts though. I really don't want to buy a $600 tablet without being absolutely sure that it it is the best use for my money. Most reviews mention some kind of instability in Honeycomb. How bad is this in practice? I am okay with a couple of force closes every once and a while, but I certainly don't want to buy a tablet with a frustrating amount of bugs (I am fairly experienced with android though so I won't be entirely in the dark if problems occur). Also how good do you think will software support from Motorola be. The rumors that Motorola wont be supporting the Xoom worry me. Finally, how long do you think the Xoom's hardware will be up to date? I know it wont be the best on the market for very long. But how long do you think it will be before a major refresh in the tablet market?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I picked up the xoom wifi about a week ago and I'm loving it. it would be remiss to say that I haven't seen a couple of force closes, but they aren't frequent enough to be considered a problem. obviously we're still waiting for a couple of updates regarding certain apps like facebook and pandora but that comes with the territory of a new os. most places will have a decent enough return policy so it shouldn't be too much of a problem to return it if you aren't happy, but a couple of days should be more than adequate to make up your mind. I happen to find that owning the xoom is a quite a fun experience. good luck.
    JBM12G likes this.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    I've had 2 force closes that came about because of my own user errors

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Other than force closes with apps that aren't designed for honeycomb, I can count on one hand the number of force closes in a little over a month. I can count on the other hand the force closes that were app related. In my experience, most phone apps work well with honeycomb. I think the hardware motorola selected for the xoom is solid. As with anything tech related, you can bet it will be "outdated" within 6-8 months, but the xoom is solid enough to be a contender for quite a while. You only live once....get what you want, and enjoy it while you can!!

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    I have only had minor issues, but I still prefer it over an ipad... I can setup 5 'different desktops' versus just reoganizing a bunch of icons on 3 screens.

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Pacific North Wet, All Rain - All The Time
    Liked
    26 times
    I had maybe 4 FCs (all related to Dolphin HD). The Xoom is a beast - sure something new will come along in a few months but the attention they put into the Xoom will carry it along for a while. I look at it like the HTC Droid Incredible -- new one is just about out, original launch was a year ago... still though, the DI (DI Mark 1? lol) is a solid, great phone.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Don't you mean the Motorola Droid? Since that is the first Android 2.0 device. Which I have also, and seen it quirk sometimes, but I haven't seen the need to replace it yet.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    The important part of your decision should be what you plan to do with your tablet. So far the only problem areas that I can think of:

• Movie Streaming (ie netflix)
    • Movie Downloads (digital copy, movie download services, etc)
    • Movie file formats
    • No USB charging
    • No ETA on SD card
    • Sporadic keyboard lag (tied to stock browser out of the box)
    • Not very many tablet optimized apps

There are plenty of work-arounds and apps available to lessen the burden on many of these things and neither should be a deal-breaker. But really it depends on what you want to do with the tablet. Performance on wifi and 3G has been an excellent experience for me along with app stability. There are several productivity apps available for working with email, Office documents, expenses and such. Just make sure to iron out your retailer's return policy when you purchase it and if you find that there are specific functions or features not to your liking, return it and consider holding off for updates or alternative products that will meet your needs. The Xoom is not for everyone BUT it could be. For email, casual web browsing, GPS & mapping, shopping, listening to music (streamed or local), watching DVDs that I've converted, remote desktop into servers and playing a few games this thing works fantastically. Taking pictures and video is a little awkward to me but again the cameras work very well. There are a ton of features and options I haven't covered but these are my primary functions.
    Bensode
    Debian, XOOM & Droid Enthusiast

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My goodness I don't have a Xoom yet but you've sold me!

-=Owner of a Wifi Motorola Xoom=-
    -=Rooted w/ custom Tiamet kernal OC'd to 1.5GHz=-
    If you love your Xoom click "Like" below! =D

Remove Ads

Ads