• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Root Question/Opinion

This is a discussion on Root Question/Opinion within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Hey guys, let me start off by saying that I'm in no way new to android nor using adb or rooting, etc. I bought the ...

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Question Root Question/Opinion

Hey guys, let me start off by saying that I'm in no way new to android nor using adb or rooting, etc. I bought the original droid right after it came out and now the droid x and then just last Thursday a wifi xoom. But with all of that said I do have a question about rooting the xoom.

When I bought my xoom on Thursday I immediately pulled it out and rooted it and overclocked the thing to 1.5. Ran great or so I thought. Then I started to have problems with the device just randomly rebooting after about 45 minutes of usage. So I lowered the cpu down to 1 ghz. Still had issues. I tried to reload the tiamat kernel on it and the device then decided to brick. Luckily since it was only two days old I just walked into best buy and showed them that it wouldn't boot up and they gave me another one.

But now that I have my second xoom I'm contemplating whether or not I should root the one I have now. The scariest part about is as far as I know there is no way to currently un-root the device if I have problems. I can't honestly say if my old xoom was spontaneously rebooting before the root or not so my question is does anyone or has anyone had a problem after rooting and running tiamat 1.6 on the wifi only xoom have any issues. Or for that matter has anyone actually heard any rumors as to how far away they are from developing a method to un-root the wifi.

Sorry for the long post but just wanted to poll you all for your opinions before possibly causing an issue with a second one.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    522 times
    ROMs
    4 Submitted
    If you look in the development section there is allot of info on the subject. As of rite now there is no sbf available for the wifi only model, there is however system and boot images available. In the future returning your device do to user error should be your absolute last resort, I enjoy the freedom of my unlocked bootloader and I'm sure you do to. If you get yourself stuck just ask here, myself and a few others would be glad to get you back up and running.
    Last edited by Steady Hawkin; 04-04-2011 at 09:02 PM.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    If you're unsure about rooting again then do some more research and ask questions. Like steady said, returning a soft bricked device should be done as a last resort.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    I'm overclocked to 1.5 ghz and I've experienced no random reboots or frequent force closes. The tiamat kernal has been really stable for me so either you had a defective device or something went wrong when you flashed it.

DrivetheGreen66
    I agree with d-xer and steady. No need to return a soft bricked xoom.

Sent from my Xoom!
    In a world of doesn't... Droid does!!!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    522 times
    ROMs
    4 Submitted
    Quote Originally Posted by windedbison View Post
    I'm overclocked to 1.5 ghz and I've experienced no random reboots or frequent force closes. The tiamat kernal has been really stable for me so either you had a defective device or something went wrong when you flashed it.
    Some units can handle the overclock and some can't. The issue seems to that the tiamat kernel has a bug that causes the CPU to spike to 1504 even if you have it set lower. So for people like me and you its no problem, but for others that can't handle that much it causes instability and lots of fc's.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steady Hawkin View Post
    Some units can handle the overclock and some can't. The issue seems to that the tiamat kernel has a bug that causes the CPU to spike to 1504 even if you have it set lower. So for people like me and you its no problem, but for others that can't handle that much it causes instability and lots of fc's.
    I can see that, sometimes my Droid is weird about what kernal it likes.

Remove Ads

Ads