• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Should I keep the Xoom?

This is a discussion on Should I keep the Xoom? within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Im sure this question has been asked many times but I just recently got the xoom and I am iffy about it. There are things ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Should I keep the Xoom?

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Should I keep the Xoom?

Im sure this question has been asked many times but I just recently got the xoom and I am iffy about it. There are things that I like and dont like. Ive tried an ipad before and I have a iphone 4 so I know ios well not that android was any harder to learn. I picked it up in about 30 minutes.

One thing that really bothers me are the colors, the xoom looks washed out and its not as bright and crisp as the ipad 2, even though it might have better specs and a higher resolution it doesnt look as clean and sharp as the ipad i used to have or the ipad 2 I tried out at the store.

The xoom also lags for very short milliseconds and is less touch responsive than the ipad 2 when doing certain things.

I also find the video quality in general to not be up to par.

What I do like is the honeycomb, I have the iphone 4 and I like having a different OS. I like having flash and I like that there are certain things like checking email with gmail app that are faster and efficient and I love chrome and thats basically the browser in xoom.

The apps well hopefully they increase over time but I dont know I worry that since people arent buying the xoom there will be no desire to develop for it.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    It's all up to you. Me, along with everyone here, love the thing to death. But it isn't for everyone. I say keep it for a while, at least till the return day expires, and see if you still are having second thought on it. And if so, just return it. Here on the forum i've seen people (a lot of people) having second thoughts on the XOOM. Then they decide to try it out for a week or so, and they love it now. So just maybe take what I mentioned into consideration. Give it a shot for a while. And if you still don't like it after a while, then do whats best for you!
    ME... WANT.... HONEYCOMB!!!

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by harkkam View Post
    Im sure this question has been asked many times but I just recently got the xoom and I am iffy about it. There are things that I like and dont like. Ive tried an ipad before and I have a iphone 4 so I know ios well not that android was any harder to learn. I picked it up in about 30 minutes.

One thing that really bothers me are the colors, the xoom looks washed out and its not as bright and crisp as the ipad 2, even though it might have better specs and a higher resolution it doesnt look as clean and sharp as the ipad i used to have or the ipad 2 I tried out at the store.

The xoom also lags for very short milliseconds and is less touch responsive than the ipad 2 when doing certain things.

I also find the video quality in general to not be up to par.

What I do like is the honeycomb, I have the iphone 4 and I like having a different OS. I like having flash and I like that there are certain things like checking email with gmail app that are faster and efficient and I love chrome and thats basically the browser in xoom.

The apps well hopefully they increase over time but I dont know I worry that since people arent buying the xoom there will be no desire to develop for it.
    Keep in mind, with updates the xoom is just going to keep getting better. Its grown on me a lot. When I first got it, I thought of returning it as well, but I've done alot of reading since. I'm confident the xoom is going to keep up with the competition for awhile. Mainly because it is the tablet google is using to develop honeycomb.

And the apps will continue to grow whether or not xoom sales pick up. There are a bunch of android tablets coming out this year, so people will definitely be developing apps. Besides, from what I've seen and used, ALOT of apps work great on the xoom. And while there are only 59 featured tablet apps I have found quite a bit more out there that just aren't featured.

I bought this to help me stay connected to my business at all times. I could have done that with an I pad but not as well if you ask me. This thing was built for multi-tasking and I'm already satisfied with it. After a few updates, I'm going to be ecstatic.

So come on updates!

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Pacific North Wet, All Rain - All The Time
    Liked
    26 times
    I'd suggest using it for a week or three before you take it back...(timing depends on your return window). I very much like that my phone and my tab on are the same OS. Lack of apps, or rather, the seeming lack of apps will be addressed as time goes on... more Android OS tabs on the market will drive more app creation.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    To me the Xoom. Is closer to a real computer. The problem is that neither device has it all and neither is perfect. Perfect would be the Xoom with the apple store or the ipad with flash SD card better resolution and Widgets. Why switch. Then you will miss your Xoom features. Good news is the Xoom will Get better everyday. The only way the ipad will Get better is to wait until the 3 comes out.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Concerning the screen brightness: Have you turned off auto-brightness and set the level manually instead? After doing that I have no complaints about the screen brightness at all. I switched the auto-brightness back on again after setting it manually and the difference was like night and day. The auto-brightness function makes the screen way to dim IMO. If you have not done this then I suspect that your video quality comment may be coming from the same problem.

Also don't worry about poor Xoom sales having an affect on App development. The cool thing is that Android 3.0 isn't going anywhere and there are plenty of alternative systems coming out at different price levels and form factors that will use Honeycomb and drive the continued App development. That will not be an issue.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Twitter
    james_cull
    I was in pretty much the same boat here. Although I haven't got a XOOM (yet anyway) I was weighing it up against an iPad 2, seeing as that is the only real competitor to the XOOM at the moment. All my friends were saying, "Just get an iPad 2" but I'm not a iSheep and I do like testing out new products.

Specs wise: it compares quite favourably to the iPad 2. It's got pretty much the same processor (speed-wise anyway) and I've read that there's no real noticeable difference between the A4 processor in the original iPad and the A5 in the iPad 2. Granted, some things do open up quicker (Maps apparently opens a second quicker) but there isn't a major difference, unless of course you are playing games on it. It is a tad more expensive than the iPad 2 (at least in the UK anyway, it's only 20 more expensive). iOS is also looking a bit outdated now, especially seeing as they've kept pretty much the same format since the 1st version, albeit tweaking it a bit (customizable backgrounds, multi-tasking etc). OK, it's simpler to use, but I learnt how to use Android pretty quickly after I switched from a Blackberry and I do like Android because of the widgets and the true multitasking.

Like a lot of people say, Honeycomb is a new OS and there aren't many apps out there for it. But, in reality, do you really need 70k apps? I am an indecisive person, and if I've spoiled for choice like that, I find it very difficult to decide which ones to download! Remember when the first iPad came out, the situation was the same - they didn't have many apps for it. But as interest in it grew, more and more developers started writing iPad-optimised apps. I think the same will happen with Honeycomb. Android is, after all, the most popular smartphone OS, and as interest in Honeycomb tablets grows, this will provide an incentive to developers to optimise their existing apps for Honeycomb and tablets in general.

Obviously I can't speak for certain because I haven't got a XOOM yet but I've read quite a few reviews and had a fidget around on one in a store and I really like it. I might be taking it back in three weeks, who knows, but I hope the hype surrounding it is true.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Get an ipad.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Typing this on mine now. Love it as flash runs great and still it will get better. Turn your brightnes down on the colors and lag is minor. If you like the ipad that is cool go with it but honeycomb is just getting started.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    This is like dejavu all over again. I purchased the ipad 1 when it came out and was turned off by the fact that the apps weren't there for it. Look at it now though. The biggest difference from that experience and the one with my new Xoom? The Xoom is light years ahead of even the ipad 2 in stock useability. It doesn't /need/ a bunch of fancy apps to make the experience worthwhile. Take the Apple appstore away from the ipad and it sucks. Take the android market away from the xoom and it still rocks. 6 months from now when there are 10 honeycomb tablets on the market this will be a non-issue.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads