• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Question to Xoom owners

This is a discussion on Question to Xoom owners within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; I have read in a review that the browser is detected by web sites as a mobile browser, not a full browser. If this is ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question to Xoom owners

I have read in a review that the browser is detected by web sites as a mobile browser, not a full browser. If this is the case, then that would mean that the full web experience would not be shown on sites that detect the type of browser and switch to a mobile view.

Is this the case?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    398 times
    Twitter
    XoomForum
    Quote Originally Posted by FierceMuppet View Post
    I have read in a review that the browser is detected by web sites as a mobile browser, not a full browser. If this is the case, then that would mean that the full web experience would not be shown on sites that detect the type of browser and switch to a mobile view.

Is this the case?
    I don't have a Xoom just yet.. but I'm pretty sure you can change the settings of the browser to be detected as a desktop.
    If you already have one, open up the browser and go into the settings and look for "user agent" and set it to "Desktop"

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    some sites come up as mobile sites, and others are normal-either way you can go ton the bottom of the mobile page and view it as a regulr web page

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wicked View Post
    I don't have a Xoom just yet.. but I'm pretty sure you can change the settings of the browser to be detected as a desktop.
    If you already have one, open up the browser and go into the settings and look for "user agent" and set it to "Desktop"
    not an option

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    398 times
    Twitter
    XoomForum
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikapp168 View Post
    not an option
    Thanks for the clarification.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My wife was browsing and came to the mobile site, on the bottom it says go to full site. Worked perfectly.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    just tried about:debug. It works and gives a UAstring adjustment. Not sure how long it stays at that setting. I know on my DX it resets its self...

in the url browser type about:debug then hit enter/go it will appear nothing happened until you enter your settings. then go to Debug/UAString. you'll see an option to swap it to Desktop.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bamfsig45 View Post
    just tried about:debug. It works and gives a UAstring adjustment. Not sure how long it stays at that setting. I know on my DX it resets its self...

in the url browser type about:debug then hit enter/go it will appear nothing happened until you enter your settings. then go to Debug/UAString. you'll see an option to swap it to Desktop.
    So it's an option we just aren't sure if it's persistent across reboots, etc.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Evidently so. Many websites have a link you can click to get to the full website. But not all do. I also know that some Android browsers, like Dolphin, have a setting you can adjust so that the browser identifies itself as a full desktop browser. I don't know if Honeycomb's browser has such a setting. It would be nice if it did, as I generally never use the mobile view if I can help it, and can't see any reason to use it on the Xoom. However, I also don't expect to be in love wth every native app, and expect that third party replacements would be swiftly forthcoming, just as has been the case in Android before.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    252 times
    You can also use dolphin browser and have the ui option that will stick ans is easily changed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads