• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

internet "about:debug" change browsers user agent string to desktop

This is a discussion on internet "about:debug" change browsers user agent string to desktop within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Originally Posted by flabombarda it doesnt work for me. i type about :debug in the url but nothing happen. am i in the wrong place ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: internet "about:debug" change browsers user agent string to desktop

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    109 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flabombarda View Post
    it doesnt work for me.
    i type about:debug in the url but nothing happen.
    am i in the wrong place ?
    done after going to settings :
    right. it doesnt appear to actualy do anything. but if you then click on the 'bars' for settings you will see the that debug is added to your selections. if you dont see debug then enter about:debug again as it toggles it on and off. go to debug then ua string and select desktop. thats all. enter the site address again instead of refresh so you dont go to the mobile site

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flabombarda View Post
    it doesnt work for me.
    i type about:debug in the url but nothing happen.
    am i in the wrong place ?
    done after going to settings :
    After you type about:debug hit the go button.. which is the right facing arrow next to the stop (X) button. That puts it in debug mode. Go to settings (top right corner) and you will see some options that weren't there before. Click settings>debug>UAString and then select desktop. Note: after you are done type about:debug in the address bar and hit go to take it out of debug mode.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    yeah i do that but it still loads the mobile. dolphin browser with translate hd does work fine, but id rather use the stock
    Last edited by jason8612; 01-19-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    109 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8612 View Post
    yeah i do that but it still loads the mobile. dolphin browser hd does work fine, but id rather use the stock
    Lets try this again.
    1. in the browser type in about:debug then hit enter. nothing happens
    2. go to settings>Debug>UAString and select Desktop then using the back button at the bottom of the screen back out (should be 2 taps)
    3. in the address bar enter an address for a site that isn't mobile. What site are you entering? can you give us the url?
    3. if you power down the xoom you will have to enter about:debug again to turn it back into the debug mode. But don't enter about:debug a second time as that turns off debug and won't work. Just do the first 3 steps and let us know.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times

won't hold the settings

I was having to redo this setting every day for most sites, a real pain. Doesn't hold for any browser that i've found until Opera Mobile updated to 11.1. They've added flash support and it hasn't failed to show the desktop version of any webpage. Only thing that doesn't work for me is the videos that I have on amazon. Still have to use the stock browser for that.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlschulz View Post
    I was having to redo this setting every day for most sites, a real pain.
    It's also a daily thing with me too. It always has to be done after a restart of the xoom, or if the browser crashes, but sometimes I find it happening at random times for no apparent reason. I cant understand why a problem like this hasn't been fixed a long time ago.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    seems to work now. I did a restart and redid the debug and it seems to be working for now elektronika. I was reading there is a permanent fix out there, but I havent messed with it.
    Last edited by jason8612; 01-19-2014 at 11:58 AM.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    here's some screenshots, should make it easier. Sorry about the watermarks, but you know, free version. It gets the job done
    i have a cool picure on my google homepage backround, it doesn't show up on the android ua string setting, but does on the desktop setting, it's how i know when i've got to reapply the setting, in this first one notice i have got the white backround in my homepage. tap on the url address, it shouls say Google or whatever it says, change it to about:debug, its highlighted in the picture
    this is what your url bar should say
    screen_20110708_1854_1.jpg
    once you type that inhit enter on your keyboard, then select the menu icon from the top right corner of your screen, it should look like this
    screen_20110708_1854.jpg
    Then select settings, at the bottom left side of the menu screen is the debug option
    screen_20110708_1854_2.jpg
    Touch it and you get the debug settings, select UA String then desktop, like this
    screen_20110708_1855.jpg
    When you've done that you can back out of the menu and you will see that nothing has changed, press the refresh button, it looks like a circular arrow just left of the URL bar, after that, the desktop version of your website should load, if not I can't help you. This is my desktop version of the Google homepage
    screen_20110708_1855_1.jpg

I have been following for a while looking to find a way to make this a less annoying option, i.e. re-applying the setting every now and again, i really like the feature but it is a pain in the ass. So far eveything says "No" but im not ready to resign myself to this small irritation, so after this can we get back to that? Please...

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    ok so i replaced my framework-res apk with sangreal 06's and now it's always set to desktop, i can even watch youtube videos that it previously told me was unavailable on mobile. It also has a phone option with a dialer and a better contacts list as well as sms but if you have google voice you can just text through that. it's all buried in the forums.. important part is that if you're rooted you to can have this stuff... permanently!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Remove Ads

Ads