• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Get LTE on your Motorola Xoom in one week, and a dozen or so easy steps

This is a discussion on Get LTE on your Motorola Xoom in one week, and a dozen or so easy steps within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Originally Posted by l5cygx Straight from that article... _____________ To illustrate: Sprint bought a majority stake in Clearwire (Nasdaq: CLWR - News ), which uses ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Get LTE on your Motorola Xoom in one week, and a dozen or so easy steps

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by l5cygx View Post
    Straight from that article...

To illustrate: Sprint bought a majority stake in Clearwire (Nasdaq: CLWR - News), which uses a new network technology called WiMAX that's capable of speeds ranging from 3 Mbps to 10 Mbps. That's a different technology from Verizon's new network, based on a standard called Long Term Evolution (LTE), which will average 5 Mbps to 12 Mbps.

Seeing what its competitors were up to, T-Mobile opted to increase the speed capabilities of its existing 3G-HSPA+ network instead of pursuing a new technology. Its expanded network -- now called 4G -- will reach speeds of 5 Mbps to 12 Mbps.

No matter what they're called, all of these upgrades are clear improvements -- and the carriers shelled out billions to make them. Current "3G" networks offer actual speeds that range from between 500 kilobits per second to 1.5 Mbps.

Maybe it's not 100mbps but I would call it an improvement before I called it a myth...
    ATT 3g will get you 3.5Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up on a non overwhelmed network. Sprint, Verizon will get you 1.5Mbps down and 1 Mbps up.

I have a ATT iphone with 3G which I tether. I also have a sprint 3G/clear 4G hotspot and a Verizon 3G on my Xoom. I live in an area with seems to have a pretty clean network and is not like major cities where networks get overloaded.

Verizon LTE is coming to my area this month so I will try it out later on.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    There have been many 4G comparison test by companies such as PC Magazine to see which "4G" provider has the fastest most consistent speeds. Currently that goes to Verizons 4G LTE network which is in most cases 3x faster than the others. However, they suspect that it is too soon to tell due to possible network saturations once it becomes popular and more heavily used. And yes, your device also plays on how well it works with the networks. So while the 4G LTE may be blazing on the Thunderbolt "device used for testing" it may not be the case for the xoom.

However, any gain over Verizons current speeds would be great. It is gawd aweful and shouldn't even be called 3G.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Twitter
    jblalock77
    VZW's LTE is blazing fast partially due to the small amount of traffic thus far. I'm curious how well it holds up. Hoping for the best.
    Remember: It's not really yours until you've voided the warranty.
    "Battle not with trolls, lest ye become a troll; and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you."
    Friedrich Nietzsche: A Dynamic Translation

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    I live in Navarre, Florida which is about 20 miles from Pensacola to the West, and 20 miles from Destin to the East. As you can see on the Verizon coverage map, 4G doesn't quite reach me. Destin is a big vacation destination here. Anyone familiar with this area? I'd like to know how long before 4G makes its way here, just as 3G exists everywhere now. Any ideas? I can't find anything on their site that links to a "future coverage" map. Didn't I read somewhere that 3G would completely give way to 4G eventually?

Hmmm...

Capture.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesismore View Post
    Didn't I read somewhere that 3G would completely give way to 4G eventually?
    This is likely to take a few more years. The projected income from LTE will take some time to accumulate before they can re-invest blanket coverage. I'm sure that 3G didn't become available overnight either. Obama has made statements that he wants 3G internet everywhere sooner than later.
    Bensode
    Debian, XOOM & Droid Enthusiast

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesismore View Post
    I live in Navarre, Florida which is about 20 miles from Pensacola to the West, and 20 miles from Destin to the East. As you can see on the Verizon coverage map, 4G doesn't quite reach me. Destin is a big vacation destination here. Anyone familiar with this area? I'd like to know how long before 4G makes its way here, just as 3G exists everywhere now. Any ideas? I can't find anything on their site that links to a "future coverage" map. Didn't I read somewhere that 3G would completely give way to 4G eventually?Hmmm...Capture.jpg
    Pensacola has 4G. I'm surprised it doesn't reach you.
    SDcard System Image Backup Using ClockworkMod Recovery v3.2.0.0.(RC4). Back yours up today!

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    Pensacola has 4G. I'm surprised it doesn't reach you.
    It just barely reaches across the bridge as 4G, then becomes the LTE "Extended Coverage Area". Even that fizzles out around Midway, which is still another 10-12 miles from me. Poo.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    I watched all the T-Mobile/ATT merger hearings and was shocked to find how much of the country was still on GSM or CMDA. Apparently one of the selling points to the DOJ was the two companies together could operate a large block.of 3g spectrum in areas where it previously didn't exist.

Sent from my Android 3.1 Motorola Xoom Tablet!

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm starting to think the XOOM-2 (with 4g factory installed) will be out before we get our upgrade...

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Twitter
    penorwood
    when is Verizon going to be taking requests for upgrade?

i dont like the idea of being without it but im getting the new Atrix on Tuesday so that will sure help!
    Paul Norwood
    Safe Harbor Internet Services - Owner
    http://www.SafeHarborInternet.com
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they makeas they fly by." Douglas Adams

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads