• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Opening HTML files offline

This is a discussion on Opening HTML files offline within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; I'm new to the xoom and anything android. But I have a couple of html files that I use for offline browsing and need to ...

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Opening HTML files offline

I'm new to the xoom and anything android. But I have a couple of html files that I use for offline browsing and need to know how can I view these without an internet connection. I have the files saved on my xoom with all the needed attachements but just get "web page not available.....webpage might be temporarily down. I use these file on my pc just fine but I really need to be able to view these on my Xoom. Is there some app that I can use to do this?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You can view them offline. Just type, for example;

'file:///sdcard/index.html' in the address bar.

Change it to the location of your file. I have a html of my firefox bookmarks in 'file:///sdcard/sdcard2/bookmarks.html'

You can even bookmark them in the browser for easy access.
    Last edited by Enraiha; 04-21-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Wi-Fi Xoom MZ604 (UK) - Rooted
    Overclocked 1504Mhz - Tiamat Kernel v1.4.0

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

That Helped!!!!!

Brilliant! That worked. Thanks for the input!

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Glad to help.

Wi-Fi Xoom MZ604 (UK) - Rooted
    Overclocked 1504Mhz - Tiamat Kernel v1.4.0

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok now that I have been using the address input method I can view my files and bookmark them for future viewing. But now I am wondering is there a way to just click on the .html file so that it opens in a browser while the tablet is offline. I've got about 30-40 documents that work offline and for me to type in the location into the address bar is a bit tiresome. I just want to know if there is an easier way.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tgald View Post
    Ok now that I have been using the address input method I can view my files and bookmark them for future viewing. But now I am wondering is there a way to just click on the .html file so that it opens in a browser while the tablet is offline. I've got about 30-40 documents that work offline and for me to type in the location into the address bar is a bit tiresome. I just want to know if there is an easier way.
    You could always create bookmarks within the browser to the file locations. Then when you want to open a document, go to bookmarks and select the file.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lowboydrvr View Post
    You could always create bookmarks within the browser to the file locations. Then when you want to open a document, go to bookmarks and select the file.
    For the few that I have opened I did a bookmark as you just said and that works. But for the ones that I haven't opened yet is there a way of just clicking on them to open up. What I am doing is figuring out a method of opening these the easiest way as possible, because I will eventually be sending out about 50 of these Xoom tablets to my field reps. And I know just a handful of these guys will do the "type address in" method but the majority of them won't bother, which would be really bad since these are product demonstration files. So the easier the better is what I am trying to figure out.

Also is there a way of copying the bookmarks over to another tablet. Cause if I can't figure out an easy way I would manually put in all the addresses and bookmark them with the possiblity of copying them over to another tablet.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    You could always try a file explorer. I use "Ghost Commander" and when I select a text file, it asks which application I want to open the file with. I don't have any html files saved on my Xoom but I am assuming the results would be the same. That way you could just select the file to open, choose your browser and it should open to that file. After that, simply clicking on the bookmark option should be able to save the bookmark. Here's a link to "Ghost Commander":

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

If you use Dolphin HD, it has a plugin that allows you to send your bookmarks to the SD card (back them up). I believe that option would allow you to then transfer the file to the other tablet (assuming you were using Dolphin HD on both of them).

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lowboydrvr View Post
    You could always try a file explorer. I use "Ghost Commander" and when I select a text file, it asks which application I want to open the file with. I don't have any html files saved on my Xoom but I am assuming the results would be the same. That way you could just select the file to open, choose your browser and it should open to that file. After that, simply clicking on the bookmark option should be able to save the bookmark. Here's a link to "Ghost Commander":

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

If you use Dolphin HD, it has a plugin that allows you to send your bookmarks to the SD card (back them up). I believe that option would allow you to then transfer the file to the other tablet (assuming you were using Dolphin HD on both of them).
    These work great together!

I can use "Ghost Commander" to select the files offline and choose how to open them. And Dolphin HD works great at playing them. But if I go thru a "file management" app they won't open, the path is not read correctly...not a problem though. Being able to go thru "Ghost" & "Dolphin" I can create and design a simple html page that contains all of my links on one page and I will be able to select what I need from there and so will my guys out in the field. I really like that I can bookmark this main link page and create a shortcut on the main window of the xoo.

This is my best option for opening files offline as I have tried the default browser, Firefox and Opera. Thanks lowboydrvr!!!

Now I'm sure this goes in another forum but haven't been able to find one. Why does my flash create a grey box around the window I am on (my flash files are interactive)?

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Sorry, I don't have an answer for that. My html pages include flash, but it is not interactive (it basically just a flash movie that changes a picture every ten seconds).

Remove Ads

Ads