• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Can Xoom get a virus?

This is a discussion on Can Xoom get a virus? within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; If google checked apps then there would be no root apps. I'll take some iffy apps, just give me my root only apps and I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Can Xoom get a virus?

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    If google checked apps then there would be no root apps. I'll take some iffy apps, just give me my root only apps and I can protect myself.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    Google should check every app. This is circumvented in iOS by the Cydia app. Android needs a Cydia...something that tech people like us can turn to. Normal people shouldn't be left to hang out to dry.
    SDcard System Image Backup Using ClockworkMod Recovery v3.2.0.0.(RC4). Back yours up today!

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    The thing is... People are too ignorant of the past.

They only see the 'here and now'... 18 years ago, The Macintosh was, quite easily, the most infected Operating System due to how the OS was built. Why? It was popular back then, the interface was easy to use for many that they latched on to it. It wasn't until Microsoft had windows 95 and the programming tools to help people make new programs easier that Windows became the popular OS and now the most easily attacked.

Apple has spent millions convincing people that Macs don't have problems, that they will not have viruses like the PC. Which is true... TO A POINT. The thing that people forget is that 18 years ago, as I mentioned before, the Mac was popular and widely used more than PCs. Now the tables have turned. And now, the next big thing is smartphones as they are basically portable computers. And regardless of the fact that it is running on Linux, remember, Mac OSX is ALSO running on a BSD Kernel Linux distro... It has security patches and so does many flavors of Linux. They do get the occasional virus or security hole as well, just the major focus is currently on the MS Windows because it is still a popular business OS and the highest gains.

But there still are attacks on iOS and Android because the smartphone market is now becoming the fastest growing, consistent thing that is available and also having people not really 'thinking' about the need for security there.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    We'll just have to agree to disagree. That is my point exactly...I should not have to worry about apps from the Google Market, but you do. Amazon is even worse. You have to actually allow unknowns to be installed.
    Amazon screens the same way Apple does. How is that "even worse?"

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    I agree that android will be targeted as it grows, but as of right now, antivirus is not needed. Antivirus blocks apps that run exploits (think popular rooting apps like easy root and z4 root and other root only apps) and known bugs which are few. A virus will most likely come in the form of a hijacked official app (facebook, twitter, etc) and there's no anti virus that can protect against that. In the near future, sure av might be useful, but not now. If you feel better with it then great. I only give my opinion as a user who has a more than basic knowledge of android.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zuiko View Post
    Amazon screens the same way Apple does. How is that "even worse?"
    Because you are intentionally sidestepping a security feature of the device.
    SDcard System Image Backup Using ClockworkMod Recovery v3.2.0.0.(RC4). Back yours up today!

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    So can it

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Twitter
    XoomFAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiichi25 View Post
    The thing is... People are too ignorant of the past.

They only see the 'here and now'... 18 years ago, The Macintosh was, quite easily, the most infected Operating System due to how the OS was built. Why? It was popular back then, the interface was easy to use for many that they latched on to it. It wasn't until Microsoft had windows 95 and the programming tools to help people make new programs easier that Windows became the popular OS and now the most easily attacked.

Apple has spent millions convincing people that Macs don't have problems, that they will not have viruses like the PC. Which is true... TO A POINT. The thing that people forget is that 18 years ago, as I mentioned before, the Mac was popular and widely used more than PCs. Now the tables have turned. And now, the next big thing is smartphones as they are basically portable computers. And regardless of the fact that it is running on Linux, remember, Mac OSX is ALSO running on a BSD Kernel Linux distro... It has security patches and so does many flavors of Linux. They do get the occasional virus or security hole as well, just the major focus is currently on the MS Windows because it is still a popular business OS and the highest gains.

But there still are attacks on iOS and Android because the smartphone market is now becoming the fastest growing, consistent thing that is available and also having people not really 'thinking' about the need for security there.
    Not only inaccurate... much fail.

1984 and 1985. It took 74 days for 50,000 units to sell.[115] Market share is measured by browser hits, sales and installed base. If using the browser metric, Mac market share has increased substantially in 2007.[116] If measuring market share by installed base, there were more than 20 million Mac users by 1997, compared to an installed base of around 340 million Windows PCs.[117]
    Apple has NEVER dominated the market... EVER. Apple OS 9 and below (like Windows/DOS) also was never DESIGNED to be on the internet and therefore was inherently insecure. Apple realized that patching patches over patches was more trouble than it was worth and re-wrote the whole thing ground up using BSD/Next/Unix while Windows continued to patch patch patch while keeping backwards compatibility.

They do not have to spend millions to convince me. I have had 4 macs running with no AV on them for what 10 years now? We certainly do not run AV on our Unix servers at work nor has any company I have ever worked for. The ONLY place AV is "NEEDED" is on Windows. Period. Common sense will let you run the other OSes without it.

ANY OS can be exploited with smart people and smart people are going to bypass your simple AV program.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Debian Dog View Post
    Not only inaccurate... much fail.

Apple has NEVER dominated the market... EVER. Apple OS 9 and below (like Windows/DOS) also was never DESIGNED to be on the internet and therefore was inherently insecure. Apple realized that patching patches over patches was more trouble than it was worth and re-wrote the whole thing ground up using BSD/Next/Unix while Windows continued to patch patch patch while keeping backwards compatibility.

They do not have to spend millions to convince me. I have had 4 macs running with no AV on them for what 10 years now? We certainly do not run AV on our Unix servers at work nor has any company I have ever worked for. The ONLY place AV is "NEEDED" is on Windows. Period. Common sense will let you run the other OSes without it.

ANY OS can be exploited with smart people and smart people are going to bypass your simple AV program.
    Sorry, but you are not correct at all.

First off, in the time that Macintosh was out, the internet was still in its infancy. The majority of the viruses out there were Mac-centric not because of the internet, but due to the OS's innate design with the 3.5" floppy disk. Mac OS back then would actively Read-Write to the floppy when it was inserted or ejected. Viruses for the PC, prior to Windows 95, required actual execution of programs. The Mac Viruses, on the other hand, did not require that because, as pointed out, the innate design of the OS to read and write to the floppy once it was inserted into the system.

Windows 95 and 98 became the new target, NOT because of the internet but the use of Office Macros and later on, the incorporation of Web Based Tools when Internet Explorer and Active X was becoming a mainstay for most businesses. Majority of businesses focused on Cheap PCs and became the major market. All of these were tools designed to allow users to incorporate information easier, which also provided tools for people with the actual knowledge to be even further armed and able to write viruses, trojans and other programs to exploit things that people never thought or intended to be security holes.

If you believe that Macs and Linux are 100% bulletproof, please explain the occasional security updates that still happen for Mac Updates as well as some distros of Linux that will have to be applied.

Furthermore, you will note, I have stated that NO AV will stop a 0-day attack. Never has, never will. You will also note, I stated Lookout is good for other things. AV is only good to catch the occasional program that slips by others that uses techniques currently known as some would be foolish enough to attempt to do so or, in other cases, bring in an infected system into a protected network, which again, can and will happen or hooking into a network that is already infested.

I have never stated, "You have AV, you are fine." I have ALWAYS harped using some common sense where I have worked, but I have also found the mentality of people are often too foolish or too ignorant or just simply never cared that end up being the 'cause' of their own problems as well as my own.

And let me cite this to you:

Mac virus onslaught in 2011? Not so fast | Antivirus & Security | MacUser | Macworld

Critics often accuse Apple of touting the imperviousness of its systems, but it’s worth noting that the company acknowledges its imperfections. For example, it still recommends that Mac users scan downloads from untrusted sources with antivirus software. (Users looking for an antivirus package have a number of options to choose from.) Apple itself builds a wide range of security measures into the Mac OS, including—in OS X’s most recent incarnation—a limited malware-detection system. Security requires a proactive approach, but Apple helps users out by enabling most of those measures by default.
    If you look at some of the more annoying as crap viruses/malware out there, you will note a fair percentage of them are going to target the PC, however, they will also go through means of insecure PDF exploits, Flash exploits, Java exploits which the Apple will try to process. The thing is, given that Apple and Linux do NOT use the convention PCs use, they won't have a problem. However, the fact that this part in the article points out that Apple does not believe that it is impervious and makes these recommendations, even if it is a rare and in most cases unbelieveable, it does not mean that the occasional black hatter won't toss in an virus just to see if it can be done. And as you want to believe in people's common sense... I have very little faith in people's common sense as time goes on, especially in the dumbing down of technology, people will invariably do exactly the things you told them not to do...

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    You are still thinking in terms of your personal computing history. It simply isn't that way for the masses. Most people are not adept in computing at all. The need for security is there and should be in place. Just because you are a good driver doesn't mean no one needs seat belts or blinkers or antilock breaks.

Ads