• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Netflix releases Android app for select HTC phones.

This is a discussion on Netflix releases Android app for select HTC phones. within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Works fantastic on my Nexus S. Hopefully this comes to the Xoom soon as it would really make it the complete package for me at ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Netflix releases Android app for select HTC phones.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    m1kepwn
    Works fantastic on my Nexus S. Hopefully this comes to the Xoom soon as it would really make it the complete package for me at that point!
    Live every week like it's shark week.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    I have bad news for you all that I've been saying for a while now - you aren't seeing this on the Xoom (or many other Android devices) and likely never will. Why? DRM. The phones it works on now have Snapdragon CPU's or other CPU's that support hardware DRM. The Tegra 2 the Xoom uses does not. Until - or if - Netflix figures a way to work with this, you will not see it on the Xoom.

They have been working with nVidia on this issue, but that work hasn't gone anywhere. The Tegra 2 doesn't support the encryption they need in hardware, like the Snapdragon CPU does. Software encyption is a no-go for reasons that are probably obvious even to non-hackers.

This is why you don't see Netflix, or Hulu, or HBO Go, or similar services on the Xoom, and probably never will. It is not something you can hack around with a rooted kernel, either.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I thought that's why Google acquired WideVine DRM and was rolling it out in the 3.1 release. If I check my applications I see a "DRM Protected Content Storage" application (v 3.1-124251) listed as running. Presumably this is what Google is using for their video rentals.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    That was laugh out loud funny.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCharmsen View Post
    Tell me your not an air traffic controller!!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixian View Post
    I have bad news for you all that I've been saying for a while now - you aren't seeing this on the Xoom (or many other Android devices) and likely never will. Why? DRM. The phones it works on now have Snapdragon CPU's or other CPU's that support hardware DRM. The Tegra 2 the Xoom uses does not. Until - or if - Netflix figures a way to work with this, you will not see it on the Xoom.

They have been working with nVidia on this issue, but that work hasn't gone anywhere. The Tegra 2 doesn't support the encryption they need in hardware, like the Snapdragon CPU does. Software encyption is a no-go for reasons that are probably obvious even to non-hackers.

This is why you don't see Netflix, or Hulu, or HBO Go, or similar services on the Xoom, and probably never will. It is not something you can hack around with a rooted kernel, either.
    The xoom does have DRM support with 3.1.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

This is definitely not true, and NVIDIA has previously said that they're working with Netflix to bring it to Tegra 2 devices. See NVIDIA Tegra Super Chip Kicks Up Next Wave of Super Phones - NVIDIA Newsroom

"Netflix is using the Tegra 2 development platform to bring the Netflix experience to Android super phones and tablets. We're working closely with NVIDIA to ensure Netflix takes full advantage of Tegra's outstanding acceleration and security capabilities." -- Greg Peters, Vice President, Product Development at Netflix
    bensode likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    136 times

FUD ....

I mean ... unless you work for Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Google, Nvidia, MPAA, and/or Obama and can speak authoritatively on those matters. Otherwise, you opine, just like everyone else that "just knows and has been saying" when they are not authoritative to speak on the matter(s) at hand regarding DRM and current/future lack of support.
    Bensode
    Debian, XOOM & Droid Enthusiast

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Is this app supposed to look like crap? I sampled a couple movies and they look worse than the choppiest most pixelated low quality Youtube video out there. Highly disappointed. On a 4.3" screen even a lower quality video should look good but it looks like total garbage. I tried 3g and wifi, no difference.

EDIT: Seems I was just unlucky, first 3 I checked out randomly loaded like crap, but I just tested another and it was flawless. Happy day!
    Last edited by mobius999; 05-17-2011 at 08:49 PM.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mobius999 View Post
    Is this app supposed to look like crap? I sampled a couple movies and they look worse than the choppiest most pixelated low quality Youtube video out there. Highly disappointed. On a 4.3" screen even a lower quality video should look good but it looks like total garbage. I tried 3g and wifi, no difference.
    What app are you referring? If its the Netflix one, I have found the video to be super crisp playing on my HTC Desire phone. What device are you using that has a 4.3" screen?

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by biloxiboi View Post
    What app are you referring? If its the Netflix one, I have found the video to be super crisp playing on my HTC Desire phone. What device are you using that has a 4.3" screen?

Working well for me too now. As for the device, I have an Evo. Best phone I've ever owned.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads