• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Your advice deeply appreciated

This is a discussion on Your advice deeply appreciated within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Hi guys First of all, I am new to all this xoom thing, in fact I never heard about it except few hours back, when ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Question Your advice deeply appreciated

Hi guys
    First of all, I am new to all this xoom thing, in fact I never heard about it except few hours back, when I started to think of buying either iPad 2 or playbook.
    I have been using iPhone since it was launched first time and I initially though I will be too familiar with iPad if I buy it.
    To make things clear, I am a medical student and I am preparing for my exam, I need a tablet to watch lectures, mostly from my hard drive, but sometimes could be a webcast streaming, also I need to read through different textbooks, mostly PDF format, in addition I work with Microsoft office, PowerPoint and excel.
    I initially loved the performance of playbook, but I quickly eliminated it from my count as the display is really small, and want be practical for me to watch lectures for at least four hours a day.
    Now, I am seriously thinking of xoom and I want to get it ASAP, but here my questions
    1- if the price is not an issue and the monthly package is not an issue too, which one will you buy? Wifi only or 3G/4G?
    2- if you think there is no difference and getting cheaper wifi is wise to save some bucks, then do you think it's possible to tether xoom wifi to your iPhone or blutooth it to other phone to be able to connect to the Internet on the go?
    3- unfortunately, here in Canada we dont have xoom 3G but we have alot of xoom wifi in stock, and I can get it tomorrow. In case if you think it's wise to get the 3G one. Do you think if I buy it from the state is going to work in Canada?
    4- lastly, what do you think about the office, excel, PowerPoint and PDF ? Can I work with them on xoom?

Really sorry for this long post, but I thought getting advice from xoom owners will be the best thing to help me

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    First off, if you are going to be doing stuff in Word, Powerpoint and Excel, make sure the tablet you are getting will have the apps for it. Right now, I would not recommend the Playbook as it is a new OS in general and not many people have developed on it yet. your better option is the iPad or the Honeycomb based tablets for the Office type apps that both have.

Second - Take time to find out what is supported by your school. PDF readers are available, however, if you are looking for specific apps, make sure the app vendors support the tablet you are using. This will help you determine whether or not you want to get an iPad or a Honeycomb based device.

You can tether your iPad or Xoom/honeycomb device, the thing that will be your limiting factor is your carrier and its allowance for you to be able to tether devices to your iPhone or phone device. I would go with the 3G/4G instead of the WiFi for two reasons - One, avoid the concern about tethering if the carrier is going to give you grief about tethering, two, making it so you don't need to have other devices in order to access the internet. However, if you know for a fact that you will always be within WiFi range, then WiFi for not having to spend up to $200 for the Antenna and the monthly charge.

Given you are in Canada, I don't know if you will have any support for the 3G even if you got it from the states, as it depends on your carrier and currently, Verizon and maybe Sprint have the Xoom 3G.

And for your last question, there is QuickOffice and Adobe PDF reader. Investigate http://market.android.com, look up apps there that you will want. You will need to look at your iPhone app store to see your apps and see if there equivalent ones in the android Market.

Technician X
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    Wifi tethering is supported and welcome.

I got the widow because I don't want to pay for another plan

Also check out an app called quickiffice HD. Not sure if you can edit excel files though you'll have to look into it

-Onion News Network Headline-
    "Titanic reenactment club loses another 1,300 members at sea"

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for quick reply, this make me think only of xoom, as I will never find quick help in other devices forums.
    I just checked my carrier website and the offer data sharing between the phone and xoom with no extra cost. I think this make me think of saving the extra 200 and the monthly plan with data package.
    Thanks again for your reply both of you, and waiting to get more opinions

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    The WiFi should be sufficient for most. As far as apps for school work, there quick office hd, several different pdf readers, and print/scan apps as well. I'm finding the need for a laptop is getting lower and lower for me.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I'm in A similar case as you and I dont take any notebooks or my laptop to my lectures any more I view course slides, I write notes and some times I even do work on the xoom, emailing profs,checking facebook while having an open PDF is extremely easy AT the Same time ! as you can touch the multi task sign and you will switch between them so fast im in canada too ,vancouver and campus has almost full wifi coverage so i went with the wifi, and couldn't be happier before the xoom i had a playbook which i returned for the xoom and i did use my friends i pad which is jsut boring for me and jsut pissed me off as it is the same as my iphone and iv been using iphones for years... Xoom is great ! from my experience

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    If you live in Canada then I don't recommend an Xoom
    I am really suffering from google services in Canada with motorola. First thing Google Books will not be installed in Canada and you can't find it in the market either.
    There is no featured tablet apps in the market so it will be hard to find apps in the future.
    If you are in a hurry then I recommend the ipad otherwise wait for the samsung tab 10.1 to be released

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    Any android device will have the same issues as the xoom. No google books, no tablet section in market are a google thing. The ipad is an inferior decide. For tablet apps just check out our apps optimized for honeycomb in the Apps section.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oxford View Post
    If you live in Canada then I don't recommend an Xoom
    I am really suffering from google services in Canada with motorola. First thing Google Books will not be installed in Canada and you can't find it in the market either.
    There is no featured tablet apps in the market so it will be hard to find apps in the future.
    If you are in a hurry then I recommend the ipad otherwise wait for the samsung tab 10.1 to be released
    google books is not the end of the world living in canada all other google thing's works fine for me, all androids will share the same problem, i pad in my opinion is waste of money unless you just wanted to read your morning news paper on a screen with half eaten apple on the back

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I really appreciate you feedback all. Oxford your note is perfect too, I love it , but I think you are of the minority who dud not enjoy the xoom. To be honest, I have been doing research since yesterday, and all positive feedback, little negatives. I start to live the xoom from now, even before I touch it, I am heading now to try all, xoom, iPad and playbook, but my heart leaning toward the xoom. I will try the others just to make sure xoom is the best. My only concern was the 3G thing, as I know, this version is hitting the market and I don't want to feel I got the first generation while the newer one already in the market. But as long as tehering is possible, I really don't Care. Regarding the android market, I surfed it and I found almost all the medical apps that already on my iPhone, so I think the android market is at least not inferior to the apple store.
    Cheers,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads