• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

3.1 appears to have broken ActiveSync/Exchange security?

This is a discussion on 3.1 appears to have broken ActiveSync/Exchange security? within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; You could try Touchdown but to be honest ... as an Exchange admin it will be tough to circumvent applied policies. Even if you do ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 3.1 appears to have broken ActiveSync/Exchange security?

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    You could try Touchdown but to be honest ... as an Exchange admin it will be tough to circumvent applied policies. Even if you do manage to it is easy for us to detect and react.

I have tested on the XOOM with even the most strict policy and was able to get issues resolved. The biggest issue is the password policy. Some exchange admins don't know that it can be relaxed enough to allow the XOOM while still remaining secure. Its all a matter of testing and patience.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    As a skillful IT PRO that you are, you have absolutely no !%#!@*! idea what is going on so you ask your mentor, your friend, the one who’s been by your side in the toughest situations and never let you down, the Oracle, the holder of all humanity’s knowledge, “The Program”. The Google.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Agreed, I can duplicate this exact problem touching both Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2010 on the back end. Other versions/devices don't seem to be affected (and had no problems with the stock Xoom 3.0). Looking forward to what the dev team tells you!

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    In the mean time I found a work around (although clunky):

I noticed if the security banner is showing that my XOOM still shows email notifications in the notification bar (visually and I still get an audible notification). It also shows the security message in the notification bar sometimes which I now ignore.

If you click on the new email idicators in the notification bar the email app will open and start displaying the email that wasn't displayed since the security banner started showing.

It seems to work every time. I reported this to the dev team and they believe the issue isn't that the security is broken: they are leaning towards the UI being broken.

Will keep you posted.
    As a skillful IT PRO that you are, you have absolutely no !%#!@*! idea what is going on so you ask your mentor, your friend, the one who’s been by your side in the toughest situations and never let you down, the Oracle, the holder of all humanity’s knowledge, “The Program”. The Google.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Broken UI seems feasible but odd how it affects some but not all users.
    Bensode
    Debian, XOOM & Droid Enthusiast

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Good news is after hours of log collecting, testing, and interaction between Google Dev and myself they figured out the issue.

Bad news is after all that work, and all that hope that I might get lucky they won't give me a signed apk and I'm left standing at the door, late at night, with no chance of getting lucky lol. Well at least I didn't buy them dinner and drinks first............ oh wait, I did it cost me $599 and a two year contract with their selected carrier DOH!

Was told MAYBE in the next major release - that was all the info I could get.

I'm rooting tonight just to buck the system.
    jblalock77 likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Android wants to tap into RIM's success in the big business world. I'm sure they can't comment officially but this will likely be something addressed in the near future. Who knows you might get a nod in release notes when they finally do fix it
    Bensode
    Debian, XOOM & Droid Enthusiast

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Anyone see a change this morning? My device looks like it rebooted last night, and I notice mail is still flowing this am, over 24 hours since my last hack. Don't want to jinx it, but ... ?

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetdave View Post
    Anyone see a change this morning? My device looks like it rebooted last night, and I notice mail is still flowing this am, over 24 hours since my last hack. Don't want to jinx it, but ... ?
    Nothing here - I've seen it go a couple days or a couple hours. Not sure what the trigger is but I wish you all the best!!

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bensode View Post
    Android wants to tap into RIM's success in the big business world. I'm sure they can't comment officially but this will likely be something addressed in the near future. Who knows you might get a nod in release notes when they finally do fix it
    Agreed - Props still go to the Google dev group as they did work it out with me. It isn't up to the dev grp when and who gets updates (even in the testing phase like I was in). It goes to the top for that authorization. I believe the word the dev used to describe the rejected request was "inexcusable".

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    UPDATE: This was just posted to the bug report @ google regarding this topic: "Marc was nice enough to let me know of a workaround for this, which may/may not be workable in your environments. Disabling EAS policy refresh will abate the issue."

I created a new policy with EAS refresh turned off on our server (I am the admin), assigned that to the exchange email account and created the email account on the XOOM. I will let you know what the outcome is either way. Unfortunately, this is not a good workaround and won't do most folks any good since I am sure your Exchange admin will not modify the refresh policy on active-sync.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads