• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Does the news that the Bionic will not be Tegra 2 infer that the Xoom won't be 4G?

This is a discussion on Does the news that the Bionic will not be Tegra 2 infer that the Xoom won't be 4G? within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; The news/rumor that the re-engineered Bionic has swapped the NVIDIA Tegra 2 for a TI OMAP 4430/4440 dual-core processor seems to indicate that Motorola is ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Does the news that the Bionic will not be Tegra 2 infer that the Xoom won't be 4G?

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Does the news that the Bionic will not be Tegra 2 infer that the Xoom won't be 4G?

The news/rumor that the re-engineered Bionic has swapped the NVIDIA Tegra 2 for a TI OMAP 4430/4440 dual-core processor seems to indicate that Motorola is moving away from NVIDIA to TI. Does this mean that Motorola and NVIDIA were unable to produce a capable Tegra 2/4G LTE solution? Will we ever get a LTE upgrade to our Xooms?

New DROID Bionic Running Gingerbread Gets Benchmarked, Dual-core OMAP Replaces Tegra 2? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Twitter
    moosc
    Ive said that before if the tegra was the reason no 4g bionic then no Xoom 4G. BUT here is a question what about the 4g xoom will there be a lawsuit or two from not honering 4g?

Sent from USA WIFI Xoom using Tapatalk Pro!

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I can't see how moto would just not honor this on the xoom. Its a big selling point and was used for marketing enough that people bought it for that reason. That's a lawsuit that moto may not easily recover from. I would be hard pressed in buying anything with a moto branding after that one.
    All I wanna do is get my Xoom Xoom Xoom and a boom boom!!!

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    What if the issue is not a marketing or business issue; but an engineering issue for which neither NVIDIA nor Motorola can solve? Maybe the Tegra 2 could do 4G in the lab but has proven not to be practical for release due to battery drain or other technology issues. The T2 is already in our Xooms and can't be updated with anything but firmware. If in the end, the chip is not LTE capable, we could be left with 3G and Motorola with a lot of unhappy customers.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jfourman View Post
    What if the issue is not a marketing or business issue; but an engineering issue for which neither NVIDIA nor Motorola can solve? Maybe the Tegra 2 could do 4G in the lab but has proven not to be practical for release due to battery drain or other technology issues. The T2 is already in our Xooms and can't be updated with anything but firmware. If in the end, the chip is not LTE capable, we could be left with 3G and Motorola with a lot of unhappy customers.
    To avoid alienating tens of thousands of customers, I'm sure that something would be done to compensate the current 3G Xoom owners if it becomes that 4G is not possible. Whether it would be a trade-in type program or some other relative incentive or discount.
    Bensode
    Debian, XOOM & Droid Enthusiast

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Twitter
    moosc
    every one gets a novetal 4g mifi. lol pay for two data bills
    Quote Originally Posted by bensode View Post
    To avoid alienating tens of thousands of customers, I'm sure that something would be done to compensate the current 3G Xoom owners if it becomes that 4G is not possible. Whether it would be a trade-in type program or some other relative incentive or discount.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Twitter
    moosc
    you have to wonder the coolest Mobil chip and cant even work with lte that's one hell of blow.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I cannot imagine what they will do if tegra 2 can't support LTE. It would be a massive legal issue because they were advertising that 4g was promised not a possibility. I just hope it turns out that it either works or doesn't. If they get it to work sub par with have negative side effects the legal issue becomes less one sided because they at least delivered something. Also how long can they simply continue to work on it? I don't want a full year to go by where all we hear is that they're working on it.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Doesn't the atrix have tegra 2 and 4g?

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by comacase View Post
    Doesn't the atrix have tegra 2 and 4g?
    Not lte.

Guys we are forgetting the bigger picture here. Size of Xoom and mother board over the bionics. I'm no engineering but battery and overheating where the rumors that killed the first Bionic. I'm Guessing cramping all that hardware into a small place is a no go with the terga 2. It could be possible that they built the Xoom 4g lte Xoom first and then went on to bulid the Bionic from tech learned from the r&d on the 4g Xoom . Then when it came tl realeasing it to market they planned to realase the Xoom in 3g flavor with upgradeablity to 4g more as a marketing tool. Then when they planned to realse the bionic they noticed that all didn't work right and scrapped 4g legend and.terga 2 for.phones and opted for omap instead.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads