• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Why does the turn by turn navagation on the xoom suck so bad?

This is a discussion on Why does the turn by turn navagation on the xoom suck so bad? within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; I installed my Xoom in my auto two days ago and tried out the xooms navagation. The directions that the xoom provided me in my ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Why does the turn by turn navagation on the xoom suck so bad?

Newsworthy
    Member #
    Liked
    125 times

Thumbs up Why does the turn by turn navagation on the xoom suck so bad?

I installed my Xoom in my auto two days ago and tried out the xooms navagation. The directions that the xoom provided me in my tests were all wrong!. It tells you to turn left when you should turn right and right when you should go left!. You would think a $800.00 Xoom would at least be as good as a Garmin!. I am hooked up to the 3G network so I would think the navagation would work but it doesent.
    The opinions above are solely those of a 12 year old hacker who has broken into my account, and not those of my employer or any other organization.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    That's odd. My navigation app works very well. It sounds like yours has a glitch and is off 180 degrees.
    SDcard System Image Backup Using ClockworkMod Recovery v3.2.0.0.(RC4). Back yours up today!

Newsworthy
    Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    That's odd. My navigation app works very well. It sounds like yours has a glitch and is off 180 degrees.
    Well, it does know my location but the directions it gives me just are all WRONG!. everything else in my xoom works as expected but the navigation google provides is just no good. I own GPS nav. units from $200.00- $600.00 and those units although not perfect dont try to send me 3-4 miles to the WRONG address!. All and all I rate the xooms navagation at 1 out of 5 stars that is once I get my car towed out of the lake the xoom sent me in!
    The opinions above are solely those of a 12 year old hacker who has broken into my account, and not those of my employer or any other organization.

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Twitter
    Ltcmdr49022
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    Same here.
    I have not used it extensively, but the times I have it has not been wrong. It certainly worked beautifully when I got lost about a month ago.

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    For me, it hasn't sucked any more or less than any other Android device I've used running Google Maps. It's actually an improvement over some. Perhaps what you need is a different GPS / navigation software that better suits your needs?

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I've found on brief testing (only had my Xoom less than 2 weeks) that the compass is not reliable when the Xoom is lying flat, giving a bearing that may be 180 out compared with when the tablet is vertical. I wonder if this could be the problem?
    Laurie Miles

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    That's what I am thinking. Mine works perfect as I have used it often. I travel and have gotten rid of my stand alone GPS.
    SDcard System Image Backup Using ClockworkMod Recovery v3.2.0.0.(RC4). Back yours up today!

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    no problem here...mine is accurate and has zero load times...might be your unit

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I've done a bit more testing with Compass and GPS Essentials. In both apps the compass varies a lot in its readings, typically being ***90*** out compared with an HTC DHD (correct) compass reading. In GPS Essentials there is a clear difference in functioning of the compass in the vertical position compared with horizontal. The Xoom is supposed to have an e-compass (whatever that is). Have the OP & I got faulty compasses in our Xooms, or is this an issue with the Xoom? I would imagine that a faulty compass reading like this could play havok with any navigation app...
    laurie Miles

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    done even more research...
    Quote: "there is a bug in the magnetometer sensor on xoom, which causes the Y axis magnetic field reading to always be zero".
    This would explain some of the incorrect readings I have been getting, and it would potentially cause problems with navigation app. It has been acknowledged by Motorola as a high priority bug, and will be fixed in a future software update.
    Laurie Miles

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads