• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How can you brick your Xoom.

This is a discussion on How can you brick your Xoom. within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Hi all, first of all i loved this forum from day 1... i've been reading the content here for a good time now, i've own ...

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

How can you brick your Xoom.

Hi all, first of all i loved this forum from day 1... i've been reading the content here for a good time now, i've own android devices for 2 years now and i'm familiar with ADB procedures, image flashing, rooting and all the sorts, my actual device right now it's an Xperia X10 (great device to have for the learning process by the way, don't matter what you do you can't brick it) and now a Xoom.

Now for the Thread itself. Even knowing much about android and all the rooting and stuff... i think it's good for people (myself included) to know what could brick our devices,soft brick and the most important hard brick, because i see too many people affraid off doing silly comands like even adb devices and they are affraid that from this command and foward it could brick your device.

We know that it's not like that, you can only brick your device if you flash a wrong image in it, flash without wiping/clear data etc...
    What i want, if possible, is to someone expert on the matter to told us what we can do to brick our device so other stuff wich is secure to do it people can do it without been affraid of what it could happen, and to understand more the risks of what they are doing.

It could be in a sort of list or something like:

1 - Flash wrong boot.img on device (Hard Brick)

and so on, if people would be willing to put the commands and add more stuff on their posts i could update in here.

That's it, thanks in advance for any help guys.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    A lot of the soft bricks I see are applying a wifi image to a 3g device of vice versa. Also using the one click method ends up with quite a few soft bricks. As far as I can see it's not exactly like a phone, it seems to me with the right help and the knowledge of adb and fastboot you can get out of most circumstances. Now I'm not saying it impossible the completley brick your device.

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    I have not seen a permanent brick caused by the manual root method. Now I have seen numerous bricks (many permanent) caused by the one click root method, which is why don't have any official guides here. I know they work for some, but some is not good enough. With the 3g xoom we have stock images and SBF available as 2 avenues to unbrick a xoom. With WiFi only we have stock images. Normally even flashing the wrong images can be fixed as long as you don't reboot.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Twitter
    XoomForum
    A "how to" guide on bricking a Xoom - nice

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    Twitter
    pternahan
    Lately as DX-er mentioned the biggest culprit is using the "One Click Root Method" after upgrading to 3.1.

When we first started out flashing the 3G files to a WiFi Xoom was a biggie, but fixable in most cases.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tp76 View Post
    A "how to" guide on bricking a Xoom - nice
    I know right, it sounds crazy, but before i unlocked and rooted my Xoom i was trying to read every brick thread case i saw to know EXACTLY what NOT to do when i was messing with ADB flashing images etc... This way i paid double attention when i was flashing images to see if it was the correct one etc...
    I think most of the One Click method rooters are first timers on android because peoplo who already got a android for a long time know this methods usually can get you into trouble. Thats why i wanted a guide to people know exactly what not to do when they are trying to unlock and root their Xoom, so they know what they are into.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.vercetti View Post
    I know right, it sounds crazy, but before i unlocked and rooted my Xoom i was trying to read every brick thread case i saw to know EXACTLY what NOT to do when i was messing with ADB flashing images etc... This way i paid double attention when i was flashing images to see if it was the correct one etc...
    I think most of the One Click method rooters are first timers on android because peoplo who already got a android for a long time know this methods usually can get you into trouble. Thats why i wanted a guide to people know exactly what not to do when they are trying to unlock and root their Xoom, so they know what they are into.
    So, here's what you need to know, get with it.
    [How To] Root The 3G/4G And Wifi-Only Xoom (Stock 3.1)

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Remove Ads

Ads