• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Who uses Verizon with their Xoom?

This is a discussion on Who uses Verizon with their Xoom? within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; I'm hoping to pick up a Xoom today, and I'm looking to get the 3G model. How have your experiences been with Verizon and the ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Who uses Verizon with their Xoom?

I'm hoping to pick up a Xoom today, and I'm looking to get the 3G model. How have your experiences been with Verizon and the Xoom? Anybody anticipate that they will update it to include 4G service?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    109 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KingofZemunda View Post
    I'm hoping to pick up a Xoom today, and I'm looking to get the 3G model. How have your experiences been with Verizon and the Xoom? Anybody anticipate that they will update it to include 4G service?
    Welcome to the site! I have the smallest 3g plan i could get since I have wifi available in most places. However it has come in handy to be able to turn on the 3g when i need something and am not near a router or hotspot. I used it last week to do a video conference with my son who is in Israel during our daughters wedding from the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. Worked out just fine.... I use at least 75% of the 1Gb each month so far.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks! That's good to hear. I just don't want to get the wifi only (especially since I'm going to do a good bit of traveling) and come to regret it. It's nice to have 3G on my Kindle, even if all I can really use it for is download books. I figured with a xoom it would be awesome. Out of curiosity, what program did you use to video conference, Skype?

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    109 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KingofZemunda View Post
    Thanks! That's good to hear. I just don't want to get the wifi only (especially since I'm going to do a good bit of traveling) and come to regret it. It's nice to have 3G on my Kindle, even if all I can really use it for is download books. I figured with a xoom it would be awesome. Out of curiosity, what program did you use to video conference, Skype?
    Skype doesn't work yet on the xoom for video. I have tried two. GTalk which is included with the xoom and works fairly well and a program called Tango which is on the market and free. It works well too and in fact was what i used the other day.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have the 3g version as well andl love it. I would never think about getting a wifi only tablet for the reason I have a pc at home. I got the tablet because it can do the basic stuff a pc can do (browse the web, play movies, college stuff, etc) on the go. You can video chat with the built in google talk which works flawlessly over 3g. BTW' with splashtop remote HD, I can access my computer from anywhere meaning I can access my movies, music, pictures, documents, and everything else.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pacquiao! View Post
    I have the 3g version as well andl love it. I would never think about getting a wifi only tablet for the reason I have a pc at home. I got the tablet because it can do the basic stuff a pc can do (browse the web, play movies, college stuff, etc) on the go. You can video chat with the built in google talk which works flawlessly over 3g. BTW' with splashtop remote HD, I can access my computer from anywhere meaning I can access my movies, music, pictures, documents, and everything else.
    Cool, thanks for the info! What's the data usage like for video chats? I imagine it could be an easy way to burn through your data plan. Also, splashtop remote looks cool, how much did it set you back?

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Twitter
    moosc
    I have a MIFI and use roughly 10gb a month my limit. 4g makes web surfing twice as twice as many web sights.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    oldpopcorn36
    I'm on the standard Verizon plan. I don't use it often but it sure came in handy when I lost cable last week. Only my cell phone and the Xoom worked then.
    OLDPOPCORN 36

I am one and I like the other

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    I'm on the Verizon 1 Gig Plan. I can't go without 3G as I need it for business travel. I use Droidwall to block certain apps on 3G (games, market updates, Youtube) and I use about 350Megs per month. I use WiFi at home and work, and only hunt for WiFi when on extended trips in one location. I don't try to find WiFi as I hop from Starbucks to McDonald's etc.

4G isn't available in my area yet, so it's not a concern. Since all the advertising is still selling the 4G upgrade, there's no real graceful (or legal) way for Moto or VZW to back out now.

edit: speedtest.net app shows that I'm getting 50-75 Kilobytes per sec down and about the same upload on 3G. Peak vs. off-peak seems to produce the different ranges.
    Last edited by xjack; 06-23-2011 at 04:27 PM.
    4G Xoom

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xjack View Post
    I'm on the Verizon 1 Gig Plan. I can't go without 3G as I need it for business travel. I use Droidwall to block certain apps on 3G (games, market updates, Youtube) and I use about 350Megs per month. I use WiFi at home and work, and only hunt for WiFi when on extended trips in one location. I don't try to find WiFi as I hop from Starbucks to McDonald's etc.

4G isn't available in my area yet, so it's not a concern. Since all the advertising is still selling the 4G upgrade, there's no real graceful (or legal) way for Moto or VZW to back out now.
    Cool, I was hoping to hear from a business traveler. I'll be doing that a lot in the next few months, so it's good to hear the xoom stands up to it. I'm surprised there isn't a setting to only allow updates over wifi. But thanks for the tip on Droidwall, I'll have to check that out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads