• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

I want to build my own JARVIS system

This is a discussion on I want to build my own JARVIS system within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Seeing the previews for the XOOM, and being the nerd that I am, I really think this would make a great platform to build a ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I want to build my own JARVIS system

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

I want to build my own JARVIS system

Seeing the previews for the XOOM, and being the nerd that I am, I really think this would make a great platform to build a "JARVIS" type system on. I'd need to design some type of dock the XOOM could snap in, that could be wall mountable and would allow power to be wired through the wall. Hopefully I could figure out a way to slide in the audio connector, so that music could be wired into whatever speakers are present in the room.

Any apps on the horizon for total voice control of the device? Dragon has some good software for Windows, but not sure who is out there for the Droid.

I do a lot of mechanical work as a hobby, and usually am working on newer vehicles using diagrams and whatnot for engine builds. I think it would be great to have this on a stand, mobile, and be able to scroll through diagrams without getting the screen all greasy.

Anyways, I look forward to the release and perhaps some people on here smarter than I am can work with me and develop some nifty home integration stuff.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Sounds Fun.
    Welcome to the Forum.
    Glad to have you here.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks.

Should be fun seeing what this device can do .

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    This device will definetly be a great platform for a variety of multitasking jobs. And welcome to the forum!

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Jarvis in development

Quote Originally Posted by apocalight View Post
    Seeing the previews for the XOOM, and being the nerd that I am, I really think this would make a great platform to build a "JARVIS" type system on. I'd need to design some type of dock the XOOM could snap in, that could be wall mountable and would allow power to be wired through the wall. Hopefully I could figure out a way to slide in the audio connector, so that music could be wired into whatever speakers are present in the room.

Any apps on the horizon for total voice control of the device? Dragon has some good software for Windows, but not sure who is out there for the Droid.

I do a lot of mechanical work as a hobby, and usually am working on newer vehicles using diagrams and whatnot for engine builds. I think it would be great to have this on a stand, mobile, and be able to scroll through diagrams without getting the screen all greasy.

Anyways, I look forward to the release and perhaps some people on here smarter than I am can work with me and develop some nifty home integration stuff.
    Looks like you're getting your wish. There is a facebook page "J.A.R.V.I.S System" which appears to be developing a Jarvis system... they demo'd it using an Android app too! No doubt they'll have something for the Xoom!

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Don't forget about the blue-tooth. No need to wire in audio connectors when you can connect to an audio system using blue-tooth audio.

It shouldn't be hard to integrate with multiple systems provided that the systems your integrating with are advanced enough. I know they have pretty advanced thermostats available, I'm sure you can find one that already has integration with other devices like phones and tablets.

The Xoom has built in voice recognition so setting up specific voice commands shouldn't be too bad. "Jarvis play Iron Man" ... "Playing Iron Man Sir." Xoom already has that sort of functionality built in by clicking the google search and saying "listen to iron man" but that will only search an online music app, not your library. Implementing the functionality of the 'Jarvis' command to a service that's constantly listening for it and then the 'play' command in place of 'listen to' seems doable as well as having a recorded voice read back your voice selection to you.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Interesting...

Once we get this thing going we can move onto the next project...building a suit like Tony Stark's but even better! It'll have a xoom dock!
    Kaiya likes this.
    HTC Evo 4G: MIUI 1.4.22 / Tiamat 3.3.8
    Motorola Xoom Wifi: HC3.1 / TDR OC Kernel

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I bought my xoom with the plan to do some home automation projects. As I go along I'll be sure to post my progress.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    If you haven't seen it, take a look at my friend Chad's site: Project Jarvis ... He got featured on Wire, Gizmodo, The Boston Globe, and a bunch of other sites last year, and has started a new company, Jarvian, to bring Iron Man inspired home automation to the consumer market. He has some great demo videos, and he released some source code a few months ago, but he is no longer going to open source the system.

As for doing this with a Xoom... it would be difficult to do any home automation because 90% of the systems that are available are wired, but if you just want a system that gives you voice activated information (Weather, for example), then that would be fairly easy to be done with some of the speech to text coding libs that are out there.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    "Jarvis, activate SD Card"

"You are not running a hacked Kernel, sir"

Good Jarvis/Bad Jarvis. You know what would be really cool? Tie it to the weather or something, when it's gloomy out it'd be like:

"Jarvis, go to Wikipedia"

"No".
    Tinninches likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads