[CONFIRMED] Manually Update to 3.2 on US WiFi Xoom
Just followed the steps over at Manual Update to 3.2 on a Stock 3.1 Xoom, Non-rooted method. - xda-developers (quoted below) to manually update my Xoom to 3.2
The process was fast and easy, but requires:
Try this at your own risk, but it worked well on the two Xooms I followed the steps on.
- Honeycomb 3.1 to be installed
- USB OTG cable (I opted to pick up the Motorola Xoom Camera Connection Kit from Best Buy)
- Flash Drive
- 3.2 Update [direct download | via droid life]
Posted by Finire on XDA:
This method requires an OTG Cable. DO NOT TRY THIS ON YOUR 3G XOOM!
I just did this myself, so I know it works as long as you are on 3.1 already.
1. Acquire an OTG Cable and a USB Thumb Drive, Copy the 3.2 stock image and rename it as update.zip. Plug the OTG cable into your Xoom with the thumb drive attatched.
2. Reboot your Xoom.
3. Once the dual core screen comes up, tap the volume down button repeatedly until you get menu options.
4. Select Android Recovery and press the volume up button.
5. At green android, hold the power button and tap the volume up button once, release the power button.
6. Select the Apply Update option, and choose the correct file from the USB Drive. Tap the power button to continue.
7. Let it run through the update process, choose reboot once it is complete, and enjoy!
While I can't post a link, the 3.2 stock image file can be found on Droid-Life. Be sure to use the signed update image and not one that was pulled from a device for this process.
While it worked fine for me, you are responsible for your own device. I am not.
UPDATE: Some have reported that this method works with update.zip on an SD card as well!
Last edited by Sceler; 07-15-2011 at 06:31 PM.
07-14-2011 05:03 PM
cool i can spend $20 to update early lol
lol, indeed! I wanted an OTG cable anyway, so this was a good excuse to go pick one up.
Right on. Glad it worked for you!
ok so im running 3.2 now i guess... how come i cant write to the sdcard?
Worked like a charm, I used an SD card though instead of the thumb drive.
There are several other threads on this - a problem identified but no answers yet. You can copy/move/paste under command from your PC via the USB, but not via internal commands within the Xoom. Presumably an unintended glitch.
Originally Posted by chadrules
See, for instance, SD with 3.2
Yes it works! Typing lag is still awfull though. It does seem a bit faster, snappier across the board.Wanted to add the scroll wheel on my mouse works much better, but my BT mouse and keyboard still don'tplay nice. But overall, kinda of disappointed with this update actually.
Last edited by Stingray; 07-14-2011 at 10:31 PM.
I may try this if I do not get the update soon! You have to wonder though....why does the usb port read a USB drive doing this, but cannot do so if I plug one in now?