• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

3G/4G or Wifi Only Version?

This is a discussion on 3G/4G or Wifi Only Version? within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Hello Everyone, This is my first post to the Xoom forum. I'm excited on purchasing a Xoom, but I'm not sure if I want to ...

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

3G/4G or Wifi Only Version?

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post to the Xoom forum. I'm excited on purchasing a Xoom, but I'm not sure if I want to get the 3G/4G version or wait for the Wifi only version. I already have a Droid X and I'm just wondering if 4G speed is worth the extra monthly data cost vs using my home Wifi, public Wifi or using my phone with bluetooth tethering.

Any thoughts/insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Twitter
    nkhex19
    Welcome to the forum! If you are positve that you will never want a data plan even when 4g becomes available then definitely save your $ and get the wifi model. I purchased the 3g model just in case I wanted to add a data plan (which I probably will once 4g becomes available). I wireless tether for now with my DX when needed.

Sent from my Xoom

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for your insight! I like the idea of 3G/4G coverage because I don't have to constantly connect my DX to my future Xoom unless I'm at home on wireless. I guess my main question is, is 4G as blazing fast as Verizon says it is. If it's noticably faster than my home wireless (i.e. - dial up vs 1st gen of high speed internet), then I think it's worth the money. If not, I can live with using my phone as a modem away from home.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    Welcome. 4G speeds are fast. Not sure if iys faster than your wifi connection but it is fast. If the extra cash isnt an issue then get the 3g/4g. If the extra $200 is an issue then hold out for the wifi only

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm thinking I'll be fine at home on wireless, but if I take it to work or travel with it, I think I'd definitely want 4G over bluetooth tethering. I think you've convinced me! Now, I can get my Xoom now rather than wait for the Wifi version.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Lte speed depends on your location. Check out DSL reports for speeds in your area... I see someolks getting ten plus down... that is blazing fast. If you want a zoom now you have no choice. We have no release date on wifi so you would have to be the patient sort if thats the price point you need.

I went with three g on my ipads as well because I always want to have the option just invade I forget my mifi etc...

DrivetheGreen66
    Quote Originally Posted by hbniner View Post
    I'm thinking I'll be fine at home on wireless, but if I take it to work or travel with it, I think I'd definitely want 4G over bluetooth tethering. I think you've convinced me! Now, I can get my Xoom now rather than wait for the Wifi version.
    Congrats. I purchased the 3G/4G version because I didn't know when the Wifi only would become available.

Remove Ads

Ads