• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Xoom is nice but got some regrets

This is a discussion on Xoom is nice but got some regrets within the Motorola Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Just found this forum and like it so far Anyhoo, I bought a Xoom off Amazon about a week ago and think it's pretty cool ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Xoom is nice but got some regrets

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times

Xoom is nice but got some regrets

Just found this forum and like it so far Anyhoo, I bought a Xoom off Amazon about a week ago and think it's pretty cool so far.
    The HD screen is really nice, lots of great and not so great apps, nice battery life, and love the freedom wi-fi gives me to move around the house and in coffee shops, etc.
    However, I do have a few regrets.
    For a 1Ghz, dual-core device, it seems to lag an awful lot especially when loading websites and scrolling through long screens.
    I have also had a number of apps crash on me, a problem I thought I wouldn't have to deal with outside Windows.
    Sometimes I feel this is a beta product and should have been more refined before releasing it to the public.
    But one thing that really gets me is the fact that the Xoom is falsely advertised as having a maximum memory capacity of up to 64 GB.
    The Xoom is advertised as having:
    * 32 GB internal memory
    * Memory expansion via microSD card slot with support for optional cards up to 32 GB (taken from the ad on Amazom.com where I purchased it.)
    Now, anyone reading that would reasonably believe that means it comes with 32 GB and can be expanded up to 64 GB.
    Same as if a desktop were to say "comes with 2 GB RAM and upgradable to 4 GB."
    However, this is not in fact true for the Xoom.
    The 32 GB internal memory can not be upgraded as you can not write to it!
    This is like stating that it can be upgraded to 1 TB because I can connect the USB port to my desktop and access the 1 TB HD inside.
    The "fact" that the memory was "upgradable" was one selling point for me that made me choose the Xoom over an iFad or other device.
    Unless a future software update allows writing to the SD card, this is nothing but false and deceptive advertising.
    If that's the case, this will be, sorry to say, my last purchase of any Motorola product.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Twitter
    jblalock77
    Welcome to the forum. Sadly the way the micro SD card was implemented was Google's decision not Motorola's, and will not likely be changed until maybe ICS is released. However, rooting your device would allow you to write to the card now.
    Remember: It's not really yours until you've voided the warranty.
    "Battle not with trolls, lest ye become a troll; and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you."
    Friedrich Nietzsche: A Dynamic Translation

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jblalock77 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Sadly the way the micro SD card was implemented was Google's decision not Motorola's, and will not likely be changed until maybe ICS is released. However, rooting your device would allow you to write to the card now.
    Thanx.

Yea, I figured the only way to fix this was to root it, and I do have a couple years experience with Linux, so shouldn't be a problem, but I don't want to take any chances messing anything up while it's still under warranty.
    After that I'll probably tear it open as well. Always loved doing that as a kid with any electronic device. Just gotta know how things work
    Even took a TV apart and reassembled it and it still worked!
    And of course there were parts left over. lol

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    Whether you can write to the card or not doesn't change the fact that a 32gb SDcard does double the capacity of the Xoom. That is hardly a false advertisement. Which firmware are you running? I haven't had an app FC on me in quite some time. When it does happen I send the report to Google. I love that feature since other OSs just close to the homescreen with no explanation at all. A few developers and I have fixed FCs with this feature. I'm not sure why you are lagging, but that is also something I haven't dealt with in forever because I tired of waiting on fixes from official channels and fixed it myself.
    Slam and Roxhorn like this.
    SDcard System Image Backup Using ClockworkMod Recovery v3.2.0.0.(RC4). Back yours up today!

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    Whether you can write to the card or not doesn't change the fact that a 32gb SDcard does double the capacity of the Xoom. That is hardly a false advertisement. Which firmware are you running? I haven't had an app FC on me in quite some time. When it does happen I send the report to Google. I love that feature since other OSs just close to the homescreen with no explanation at all. A few developers and I have fixed FCs with this feature. I'm not sure why you are lagging, but that is also something I haven't dealt with in forever because I tired of waiting on fixes from official channels and fixed it myself.
    I'm sorry, but not being able to write to the SDcard does in fact not double the capacity any more than being able to pop a DVD into your computer adds anonther 4.7 GB to the "memory".
    Whether it's false advertising or not, it's certainly deceptive as it implies you are able to double the amount of memory without ever stating that it is "read only".
    As to the firmware, I am running on 3.2 and have had a FC at least 5 times in less than 2 weeks.
    I'm not putting all the blame on the Xoom OS for the forced closes, I'm sure it's due in a large part to the apps, but they should have been beta tested a bit more before releasing them.
    You know, it's funny that we as consumers tolerate things with computing devices that we would never tolerate with any other product.
    No one would buy a color TV that only had red and green pixels with the promise that the blue ones will be installed in a future update, but when it comes to computers, we gladly accept products barely out of beta being pushed out the door in a rush to beat the competitors to the market!

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I'm running a straight 3g wifi unit on 3.1 and have no trouble, reading and writing to a 32 sd card both from the internal 32 or from an usb hookup. I have shifted photos, videos over internally, installed apps to the sd card etc, with no problems.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    On the lag issue alot of people have switched over to ADW launcher EX it makes the xoom a lot better and literally fly thru screens with no lag whatsoever.Hope that helps a bit.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    If your not happy with the product return it.It's that simple.If i can install a 32gb micro sd card and transfer data from my computer to it i'd say it double the storage.
    Last edited by techrider62; 08-05-2011 at 11:14 AM.
    Slam and Tinninches like this.

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Its definatley double storage. Anything you put on card just frees up internal space so I don't see a valid complaint. Rooting may void warrenty but devs give better support than moto anyways.

Everyone should root and why would you need motos warrenty anyway? If anything goes wrong first it would most likely be software related and devs can fix that right up. Hardware wise, the xoom is built to last and besides dropping it I don't think there should ever be a problem with the hardware.

I have completely cut out the need for an actual pc now. With the latest kernal from tiamat all is great. A combo of internal storage, sd card, and dropbox are all you need.

Motorola Xoom 3g: Unlocked, Rooted, and on Tiamat 2.1.0 Tachi.

Kyocera Echo: Rooted and waiting for Gingerbread.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I get the idea that you may be confusing RAM for storage, but that may not be the case.

I guess I'm lucky in that every Android phone I've had has had an SD slot and my first one, the Moto Droid, came with a 16GB card. I've always kept my music on the card (not often altered) and used the internal storage for more dynamic things. It would be quite the paradigm shift though if you're not used to doing things in a way that conforms to how it works; or if you don't want to. I do tend to agree that the nature of the adverts was betrayed by the reality of the functionality.

I was under the impression however that with 3.2 the method of writing to the SD card was different than it had been previously assumed to be, but it was still possible with app rewrites. Has that perception been changed?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads