• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[How To] Root the Motorola Xoom

This is a discussion on [How To] Root the Motorola Xoom within the Motorola Xoom Hacking Guides forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Hacks category; Well if you ran fastboot, then you should have adb recognize the device. let me see what I can find. I'm no adb expert so ...

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: [How To] Root the Motorola Xoom

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    Well if you ran fastboot, then you should have adb recognize the device. let me see what I can find. I'm no adb expert so give me a bit. What options did you have when connecting through USB? Mass storage, PC mode, charge, etc...

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    That's what confused me; I used ADB to unlock the device, got confirmation of the unlock, and everything, so how can it not be found? When I just plugged the Xoom in, Windows popped up with nothing.

On the Xoom, I don't see any options when I plug in like how the DX has in the notification bar. Where can I find that information?

No rush at all. I REALLY appreciate your help and taking the time to work with me and help me. I tried to contact Koush via twitter, but no luck. So, I apologize for monopolizing your time here and for dominating this thread.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
    That's what confused me; I used ADB to unlock the device, got confirmation of the unlock, and everything, so how can it not be found? When I just plugged the Xoom in, Windows popped up with nothing.

On the Xoom, I don't see any options when I plug in like how the DX has in the notification bar. Where can I find that information?

No rush at all. I REALLY appreciate your help and taking the time to work with me and help me. I tried to contact Koush via twitter, but no luck. So, I apologize for monopolizing your time here and for dominating this thread.
    Lol no problem. Im about to sit down and mess with the xoom. So I'll see what I can help with.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    Twitter
    pternahan
    Hit me up on GTalk DX-er with results!

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    Fo sho!!!!

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have a really good question that I am sure everyone has either asked or thinking about. Is there a way that motorola can tell that my xoom was unlocked, rooted, then relocked when shipped back to them for the 4glte upgrade? I only ask because if so and it is a deal breaker for the upgrade why would anyone do it just for root access when there is no custom recoveries due to the SD card not working (which no one knows when that thing will work) and some rooted apps such as dropcap and others do not seem to work? I know you can overclocked to 1.2 but thats not that big enough for me to risk not being able to get the upgrade. I have asked this question like 20 times on other sites and no one can answer this???? I am sure there is a dev that can figure this out and put an end to it once and for all?

Just askin
    joykessler likes this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    You can always lock it agaian. The chances that it can be detected are pretty low. When sent in for the upgrade ,they'll just be updating from 3g to 4g. I can't foresee them poking around checking to see if the device was ever unlocked or rooted.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Twitter
    CZonin
    I got to adb shell ln –s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su and im getting the message "Link failed No such file or directory" Anyone know what to do?

Edit: Nvm figured it out.
    Last edited by CZonin; 02-27-2011 at 02:59 PM.
    Motorola Xoom
    Overclocked @ 1.5Ghz
    65 MFLOPS

If you like my posts and think I have been helpful don't forget to hit the "like" button!

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Okay, so I solved it.

Basically, one thing wasn't added to the instructions: you must turn USB Debugging on. Since I was on DX, and just used one click, I never had to deal with that.

I think this needs to be added to the OP.

Any idea how to get my Xoom mounted to my OSX? I have some files I want to transfer (Comics) and they are too massive to e-mail or anything.

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Twitter
    XoomFAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKing View Post

Any idea how to get my Xoom mounted to my OSX? I have some files I want to transfer (Comics) and they are too massive to e-mail or anything.
    Download and use this program for your Mac Android.com

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads