• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[How To] Root the Wifi-Only Xoom (3.0.1)

This is a discussion on [How To] Root the Wifi-Only Xoom (3.0.1) within the Motorola Xoom Hacking Guides forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Hacks category; ***Please Note This Guide Is For The USA Wifi-Only Xoom*** It is recommended that you do some research on rooting and what it does prior ...

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: [How To] Root the Wifi-Only Xoom (3.0.1)

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    522 times
    ROMs
    4 Submitted

[How To] Root the Wifi-Only Xoom (3.0.1)

***Please Note This Guide Is For The USA Wifi-Only Xoom***

It is recommended that you do some research on rooting and what it does prior to taking the plunge. As always, neither myself or XoomForums will be held accountable for any resulting damage to your device. Use extreme caution with the following

Prerequisites:

1) Copy whatever you want to retain, your device will wipe when it unlocks
    2) You must have SDK/ADB set up, for instructions please see- Setting up ADB on Windows 7 64 bit (and other Windows platforms)
    3) Open SDK and copy all of the files inside of tools folder and paste them inside of platform-tools folder. Vice versa will work as well. If it asks you if you want to replace files select no. The folder you paste these files into will be the folder you will run ADB commands from.
    4) Download the file from the link below. Unzip the files and place all the modules in the folder you will be running commands from (either tools or platform-tools). There should be 8 total.

Download:

Wifi Root Files- http://www.android.net/forum/downloa...?do=file&id=45

Notes:

In the following two sections you will see red text. This text represents the command that needs to be entered in ADB/Command Prompt. After each command press enter and wait for your computer to push the info to your Xoom. When you see the next command line come up you are ok to enter the next command. You can copy and paste the commands if you would like.

1) To start the process place your Xoom into USB debugging mode. This is done by going to settings, applications, development, and checking the box next to USB Debugging.
    2) Plug your Xoom into your computer, open your command prompt (with the path set to the correct folder) and type adb devices
    3) If you get a string of numbers your good to proceed, if not refer back to Setting up ADB on Windows 7 64 bit (and other Windows platforms) to see where you went wrong.

Unlocking:

adb reboot bootloader
    Xoom will reboot into a screen with text on the upper left corner. While you are on this screen enter the following
    fastboot oem unlock
    A bunch of text will appear and you will need to use the down volume rocker to select yes, followed by volume up to confirm
    Xoom will then wipe, reboot, and your back up and running. At this point you may need to go back and re-enable USB debugging

If Stuck At "Dual Core Technology Screen"

Hold VolUp and power to restart Xoom
    Hold VolDown while booting unit for fastboot mode

Rooting:

You need to be unlocked to run the following commands. If you have not, see the above sections.

adb reboot bootloader
    Xoom will reboot into bootloader screen with text on upper left hand side
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot reboot
    Xoom will boot into home screen, wait for it to complete
    adb shell
    mkdir /data/media/sdcard2
    exit
    Put in Sdcard card if you want to
    adb reboot
    Xoom will reboot, wait for it to complete
    adb remount
    adb push bcm4329.ko /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko
    adb push cifs.ko /system/lib/modules/cifs.ko
    adb push tun.ko /system/lib/modules/tun.ko
    adb push scsi_wait_scan.ko /system/lib/modules/scsi_wait_scan.ko
    adb push su /system/bin
    adb shell ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
    adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    adb push Superuser.apk /system/app
    adb push vold.fstab /system/etc/vold.fstab
    adb reboot
    adb shell

Congrats, you now have root, sdsupport, and the ability to overclock!

Testing Root:

To ensure that you are rooted download Terminal Emulator from the market (its free). Open it and type su followed by pressing enter. On the next line you should see #. If you do your dialed in

Comments/Suggestions/Questions? Post em Up!
    Last edited by Steady Hawkin; 06-19-2011 at 11:55 AM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    522 times
    ROMs
    4 Submitted
    Reserved......

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    Never saw this one! Nice write up.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    522 times
    ROMs
    4 Submitted
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid-Xer View Post
    Never saw this one! Nice write up.
    Thanks!

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Great tutorial. May I suggest as a noob. #4 of Prerequisities. Would it be possible to say, "Unzip the files and copy all files in each folder and paste in the folder you will be running commands from (either tools or platform-tools)"

I know nothing about rooting, unlocking, etc and if I were to do the unlock/root, I would think unzip then paste the unzip files into the folder I will be running commands from.
    For example:
    This is what I mean as a noob. c:/android/...../platform-tools/"unzip folder goes here"/ but then it should be c:/android/...../platform-tools/"unzip files from each folder goes here"

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am a bit of a noob, but I rooted my Hero and my Evo so I have some experience. I have been reading here and XDA learning as much as I could. I finally worked up the nerve to try it today, and was busy downloading all the files I needed. I happened on this guide and it all finally made sense. Excellent job - best guide I found.

Anyway, it all went well and one thing I have noticed but didn't read about anywhere. Previously when I had it plugged in the charging light didn't come on when the Xoom was on. Now, the light comes on even if the Xoom is still on. Weird, but not a bad thing.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    That's built into the kernel. As long as its charging the light will be on like it should've been from the beginning.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    522 times
    ROMs
    4 Submitted
    Quote Originally Posted by RhinoDoc View Post
    I am a bit of a noob, but I rooted my Hero and my Evo so I have some experience. I have been reading here and XDA learning as much as I could. I finally worked up the nerve to try it today, and was busy downloading all the files I needed. I happened on this guide and it all finally made sense. Excellent job - best guide I found.

Anyway, it all went well and one thing I have noticed but didn't read about anywhere. Previously when I had it plugged in the charging light didn't come on when the Xoom was on. Now, the light comes on even if the Xoom is still on. Weird, but not a bad thing.
    Thanks allot bro I appreciate it

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    Bottom left hand corner where the windows icon is. Where you go to see you programs, at the bottom of the window is a search bar, type cmd then press enter

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    You fan but I'm not a mac user. Check out the development section for a mac guide to rooting. Not sure if we have one. On the road now or else I'd check.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads