If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
This is a discussion on [How To] UK Wifi To US GED within the Motorola Xoom Hacking Guides forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Hacks category; Thanks...
I got my Xoom last week and am still trying to justify having a tablet when it doesn't do anything beyond what my phone and notebook already have covered, but I do like it and have been reading these forums a lot to see what's going on.
I like the idea of going GED with my UK Wi-Fi MZ604 and have read various posts on the subject, but just want to clarify a few things:
1) Can this process be done again to put it back to 'MZ604_H.6.2-24_Retail_Europe' from 'MZ604_HWI69' if needs be and does this European ROM include Motorola's pre-installed apps, such as Quickoffice HD, Motoprint, etc?
2) None of the guides say to re-lock the Xoom, when the Motodev instructions do. Is unlocking and then re-locking a one time process? What effect does it have leaving it locked or unlocked?
3) Once the US firmware is on there and providing I don't then root it, is the Xoom now a GED that will receive OTA updates from Google without any problems or do you have to re-lock it to achieve this?
Sorry if they are silly questions.
1. Yes, you can flash back to the UK firmware.
2. I'd leave it unlocked, we've had members relock there Xoom and run into problems. If you need to flash back to the UK firmware to have it fixed I'd relock it.
3. Yes, once GEDified you should start getting your OTA's all the way to 4.0.4.
What is Rooting on Android? The Advantages and Disadvantages
[HOW] Rookie Rooting, Flashing And UnRooting Under One Roof
If you root and run a custom rom the developers have the updates before you'd get the OTA.
About to update my Xoom to a ged device but before I do, one thing i haven't noticed anyone mention is how to get the UK Market back on it??
Took the plunge and now on android 4.0.4
hi im in a pickel iv downloaded sdk manager,also the hw169 zip file and at a lose all drives instaled the zip file is save to my desktop heeellllpppp