Guide: converting a UK wifi model to a US GED (Google Experience Device) Xoom
Important: This method has worked for me and for others to take our wifi-only UK Xoom devices and to put stock US firmware on those in order to get updates direct from Google. If you do this, Motorola will more-than-likely deem it to have voided your warranty. It's your choice if you proceed. If you brick your Xoom, that's ultimately your responsibility.
1. Install ADB from the Android SDK (Android SDK | Android Developers). I needed only the following 5 files to complete this method: adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll, AdbWinUsbApi.dll, ddms.bat and fastboot.exe. If you don't need the full SDK you can take only what you need from this EasyADB set http://www.android.net/forum/downloa...?do=file&id=67. In a later step we'll assume you're putting the files in c:\xoom\.
2. Switch on the Xoom, enable USB debug mode (Settings \ Applications \ Development) and connect to PC via USB
3. Check that you can 'talk' to your Xoom over ADB. Command 'adb devices' should return a string to identify your device. If you get nothing, it's not connected. One reason could be you don't have USB drivers installed. Get them from http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-E.../MOTOROLA_XOOM. Install the drivers and try again.
4. Download the US HWI69 images from MOTODEV > Products > Device Software (ZIP containing 4 img files) and place them in the same folder you've got the ADB files. You'll need to register with the Moto site and log in to have access to these images. e.g. in c:\xoom\
5. Push the 4 image files over ADB as follows. If you have already unlocked the bootloader, skip the oem unlock instruction. Execute these instructions one by one from the command line (Start \ run 'cmd' [enter]). Wait for each to complete before you initiate the next. If you had put all these files (5 files from stage 1 and 4 img files from stage 4) in the folder c:\xoom, you'd navigate to c:\xoom in the command prompt window. And then at c:\xoom> you execute...
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot erase cache
That last command will reboot the machine - now into stock US 3.0.1. When you're back online you should be offered updates; 3.1 and 3.2 at time of writing. And you should continue to receive future updates direct from Google.
This thread started with me posing the question 'UK to US GED - could that work?' - and morphed into a howto. So this OP is now that howto guide. Hope it helps :-)