• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[How To] UK Wifi To US GED

This is a discussion on [How To] UK Wifi To US GED within the Motorola Xoom Hacking Guides forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Hacks category; Guide: converting a UK wifi model to a US GED (Google Experience Device) Xoom Important: This method has worked for me and for others to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: [How To] UK Wifi To US GED

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

[How To] UK Wifi To US GED

Guide: converting a UK wifi model to a US GED (Google Experience Device) Xoom

Important: This method has worked for me and for others to take our wifi-only UK Xoom devices and to put stock US firmware on those in order to get updates direct from Google. If you do this, Motorola will more-than-likely deem it to have voided your warranty. It's your choice if you proceed. If you brick your Xoom, that's ultimately your responsibility.

1. Install ADB from the Android SDK (Android SDK | Android Developers). I needed only the following 5 files to complete this method: adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll, AdbWinUsbApi.dll, ddms.bat and fastboot.exe. If you don't need the full SDK you can take only what you need from this EasyADB set http://www.android.net/forum/downloa...?do=file&id=67. In a later step we'll assume you're putting the files in c:\xoom\.

2. Switch on the Xoom, enable USB debug mode (Settings \ Applications \ Development) and connect to PC via USB

3. Check that you can 'talk' to your Xoom over ADB. Command 'adb devices' should return a string to identify your device. If you get nothing, it's not connected. One reason could be you don't have USB drivers installed. Get them from http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-E.../MOTOROLA_XOOM. Install the drivers and try again.

4. Download the US HWI69 images from MOTODEV > Products > Device Software (ZIP containing 4 img files) and place them in the same folder you've got the ADB files. You'll need to re
    gister with the Moto site and log in to have access to these images. e.g. in c:\xoom\

5. Push the 4 image files over ADB as follows. If you have already unlocked the bootloader, skip the oem unlock instruction. Execute these instructions one by one from the command line (Start \ run 'cmd' [enter]). Wait for each to complete before you initiate the next. If you had put all these files (5 files from stage 1 and 4 img files from stage 4) in the folder c:\xoom, you'd navigate to c:\xoom in the command prompt window. And then at c:\xoom> you execute...

adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot oem unlock
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot reboot

That last command will reboot the machine - now into stock US 3.0.1. When you're back online you should be offered updates; 3.1 and 3.2 at time of writing. And you should continue to receive future updates direct from Google.

This thread started with me posing the question 'UK to US GED - could that work?' - and morphed into a howto. So this OP is now that howto guide. Hope it helps :-)

Last edited by Ben; 07-21-2011 at 02:25 AM.
    Steady Hawkin, dsader and Adrocks like this.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Deleted.

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Tbh I don't think you can do what your asking.

You need to root your device which will then change its model number in the settings from mz604 to xoom, which is what US Xooms are ( and I've done with my my uk wifi xoom). Now your Xoom is effectively a US Xoom and will have the US stock apps. Once you've done that you can install the 3.1 update.

Guide to root:

[How To] Root the Wifi-Only Xoom (3.0.1)

Guide to installing 3.1 update:

3.1 OTA Update. Zip [Rooted Users]

Then now you've come this far you may as well install the Tiamat ROM to enable USB mass storage and SD card support plus also the ability to overclock to 1.7 ghz :

http://www.xoomforums.com/forum/moto...te-6-11-a.html
    Last edited by Zammo; 06-21-2011 at 03:20 AM.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Do we know why it's not possible to flash US firmware onto a non-US device (other than the fact it's not meant to be done)? Zammo, you mentioned the model number string. Is that the key here? i.e. the install routine looks for 'xoom' as the device's type - and if so then installation (of US ROM) can go ahead? Making the assumption that's how it works, I wonder if using root priviledges it might be possible to change the model string (from 'MZ604' or whatever to 'xoom') on the device - and then push US ROMs across ADB.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    ben i done my uk model wifi only zoom with the us update and besides a few minor things like us prices in app store and it did change my model no to hmj37 but i havent had any problems also 3.1 is a lot faster and stable

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    And you did that with Zammo's root method (or similar) or simply via pushing the US images over ADB?

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    ben i done my uk model wifi only zoom with the us update and besides a few minor things like us prices in app store and it did change my model no to hmj37 but i havent had any problems also 3.1 is a lot faster and stable

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i used this one ben [How To] Root the Wifi-Only Xoom (3.0.1) then done the update using cwr as i had use of my sd card and that was pretty easy then i used the tutorial but this video is very easy to follow YouTube - ‪Update your Rooted Xoom to 3.1 Without Losing Root (3G or WiFi)‬‏

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i think we can expext to get 3.1 in the next few weks ao it may ne worth.witing

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I agree probably worth waiting from 3.1 point of view. But what I really want is to have the device recognised as a GED so I get future updates in a timely manner. I thought I was buying a GED so that is what I am trying to achieve.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads