• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

MP3 File Transfer error - Your Device May Not Be Able To Play or View This File

This is a discussion on MP3 File Transfer error - Your Device May Not Be Able To Play or View This File within the Motorola Xoom Help forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Support Forum category; Hey Folks, I just got my Xoom today. It's updated to Android version 3.2.1 and Kernel version 2.6.36.3-g111d827 I've been trying to transfer mp3 files ...

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

MP3 File Transfer error - Your Device May Not Be Able To Play or View This File

Hey Folks,

I just got my Xoom today. It's updated to Android version 3.2.1 and Kernel version 2.6.36.3-g111d827
    I've been trying to transfer mp3 files to my xoom and I'm unable to.

I've attached a screenshot to show the issue. On my laptop (Windows 7) Xoom showed up without issue once connected via USB cable. When I try to copy MP3 files from my laptop to Xoom, I receive the error "Your Device May Not Be Able To Play or View This File" Two options - Skip it, or do it anyway. I thought maybe it was some odd error, so I did it anyway. They did not successfully copy to the xoom. I then double checked to make sure they were not DRM protected, and they are not. I also tried with completely different and unrelated mp3 files. It seems that Xoom won't recognize them at all. I have googled my bum off looking for help regarding this, but to no avail. Does anyone have some advice for me? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    238 times
    Twitter
    RayHodge02
    Welcome to the forum did you install adb drivers so your comp and xoom could connect..and are you going from your music on your comp to your sd card on the xoom

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by chokinglily View Post
    Hey Folks,

I just got my Xoom today. It's updated to Android version 3.2.1 and Kernel version 2.6.36.3-g111d827
    I've been trying to transfer mp3 files to my xoom and I'm unable to.

I've attached a screenshot to show the issue. On my laptop (Windows 7) Xoom showed up without issue once connected via USB cable. When I try to copy MP3 files from my laptop to Xoom, I receive the error "Your Device May Not Be Able To Play or View This File" Two options - Skip it, or do it anyway. I thought maybe it was some odd error, so I did it anyway. They did not successfully copy to the xoom. I then double checked to make sure they were not DRM protected, and they are not. I also tried with completely different and unrelated mp3 files. It seems that Xoom won't recognize them at all. I have googled my bum off looking for help regarding this, but to no avail. Does anyone have some advice for me? Thanks.
    Welcome to the forum.Glad you decided to join us. Make sure you have the Moto Xoom drivers downloaded and installed.

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I didn't originally have the Moto Xoom drivers installed as my laptop had no issue locating the Xoom and connecting to it, but I've now installed it and rebooted my laptop in hopes that it worked. Still no luck, the exact same issue is continuing.

I'm not transferring to an SD card, but just straight to the internal storage. I'm also on a WiFi only Xoom, but have full connectivity to wifi.

Also, thanks for the welcome!

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Or maybe..maybe I am putting them on the SDcard. On my laptop it's called Internal storage, but browsing around on the xoom is seems to be folder /mnt/sdcard

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Also to add, I can transfer pictures without issue, just drag and drop. But MP3's won't transfer at all.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    If you guys think there is something wrong with my Xoom let me know...I am willing to call the company and beg for an exchange if I have to. I'm extremely disappointed by this right now and I can't believe that I'm entirely unable to locate a single thing anywhere on the internet so far regarding this issue. I've been googling and researching for three hours now...time for a return?

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    It's a little misleading but /mnt/sdcard is the internal storage. Have you setup a folder on your storage titled music to transfer to and make sure they aren't DRM protected? Some members have had trouble transferring if they don't use the usb cable that came with the Xoom.
    Also unplug the Xoom from your PC and reboot the PC and the Xoom and try again.
    Last edited by ggrant3876; 11-22-2011 at 07:55 PM.

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I definitely am positive the music is not DRM protected. I've tried several different mp3's to make sure it wasn't just that.
    I think I actually fixed the problem though. There was a Music folder already in the internal memory, this was the folder (one of) I'd be trying. I deleted it, then made a new folder called Music. I tried moving my mp3 to that folder and the same error occurred, but I clicked go ahead and transfer to see what would happen. And it worked! I don't know why. But thanks for the help everyone!

Remove Ads

Ads