• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Soft and hard reset aren't working...apps still exist

This is a discussion on Soft and hard reset aren't working...apps still exist within the Motorola Xoom Help forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Support Forum category; Hi All - I have a Motorola Xoom wi-fi with ICS. I have been having issues with various apps stopping or when I try to ...

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Soft and hard reset aren't working...apps still exist

Hi All -

I have a Motorola Xoom wi-fi with ICS. I have been having issues with various apps stopping or when I try to launch them, they immediately close down. This has even started happening with Gmail. I tried a soft reset (backup and reset) and everything stays the way it is. I tried the hardware reset and all my apps and settings are still there. I tried uninstalling all of my apps and after a powerdown, poweron, they are all "back" and functioning. I even tried turning off wi-fi (both the actual wifi and by airplane mode) and shutdown/turn on wi-fi is active and connecting again. I installed Avast anti-virus and it didn't find any issues, but after turning off and turning back on, the app is no longer installed.

Anyone experienced this? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Michelle

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    270 times
    Twitter
    misscassyL
    Hi and welcome to the forum Michelle

I haven't experienced this but hopefully one of the techy lot will be along to help :-)

I'm not an Apple groupie

UK 3G STOCK

not at all techy, but I'll do my best to find out!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    729 times
    Twitter
    It's a bird
    Quote Originally Posted by mimorr View Post
    Hi All -
    Welcome to the forum Michelle

I have a Motorola Xoom wi-fi with ICS. I have been having issues with various apps stopping or when I try to launch them, they immediately close down.
    I believe you try some possible reason and your Xoom upgraded to ICS? Do factory data reset will solve lots of issue.
    *Note: It will clear as out of the box.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Hi All -

I have a Motorola Xoom wi-fi with ICS. I have been having issues with various apps stopping or when I try to launch them, they immediately close down. This has even started happening with Gmail. I tried a soft reset (backup and reset) and everything stays the way it is. I tried the hardware reset and all my apps and settings are still there. I tried uninstalling all of my apps and after a powerdown, poweron, they are all "back" and functioning. I even tried turning off wi-fi (both the actual wifi and by airplane mode) and shutdown/turn on wi-fi is active and connecting again. I installed Avast anti-virus and it didn't find any issues, but after turning off and turning back on, the app is no longer installed.

Michelle
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. When you are in backup and reset if automatic restore and backup my data are checked it will automatically redownload all your apps.

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Hi All -

Michelle
    Hi Michelle, I have exactly the same problem. I can fix it with a factory reset (wipes EVERYTHING and reinstates the operating system as it was when I bought it) but the problem starts happening again one or two weeks later. Each time it happens I put less and less Apps back on just in case there's a rogue app but so far I haven't found any app that causes it. The usual symptom I get to start with is that "com.google.process.gapps" has crashed and needs a force close. Then ".process.vending" fails the same way followed by most other apps. Wifi stops working as well.
    Much searching on google tells me that a database for contacts or calendar is corrupt. The fix is usually "turn off sync" which isn't going to work since I don't use sync, nor do I use calendar or contacts.
    It's supposed to be fixed in ICS so hopefully any year now....
    Annoying signature, but not as annoying as yours

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I tried a factory reset 3 times in a row and everything stays the same. What happens if I wipe the cache partition?

Michelle

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    729 times
    Twitter
    It's a bird
    I tried a factory reset 3 times in a row and everything stays the same. What happens if I wipe the cache partition?

Michelle
    It will clear the caching and rebuilt it. Give it a go.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308

Michelle
    If all else fails you can use the fastboot oem unclock command and that will wipe your Xoom clean.

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Remove Ads

Ads