• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Confused about 3G activation.

This is a discussion on Confused about 3G activation. within the Motorola Xoom Help forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Support Forum category; I purchased my 3G Xoom the day they were released over 30 days ago. I paid cash, gave them my Name and address for the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Confused about 3G activation.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Confused about 3G activation.

I purchased my 3G Xoom the day they were released over 30 days ago. I paid cash, gave them my Name and address for the Verizon account and I was out the door. When I got it home I immediately activated the device, which it did so successfully. I've had 3G service ever since but never gave them a CC number to pay for it. I figured, maybe they give the first month free and didn't worry about it but after a month it still works. Still to this day it won't let me register the Xoom on Verizon's website. Very confused about how they are charging me. I called Verizon and the customer Rep said I must be getting 3G through wifi connection. I said "huh, OK" and hung up. Any help would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Twitter
    FloydianJosh
    Did you purchase the Xoom from a Verizon store or another retail store? From my understanding Verizon only sells the 3G/4G Xoom, and not the WIFI-only version. They must have had to at least charge you for the first month, then possibly let you expire? Call up Verizon and give them your details and talk to another representative.

Agent Xoom
    Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    Look at your navigation bar in the lower right corner. It will either show the *3* (if so .. working off Verizon 3G towers) If you see 3-4 vertical upside down cone .. then you are working off wifi from your router. It's that simple. You need to go into Settings .. Wireless Networks, WiFi Settings and set if you only want to work wifi to save on your 3G plan, if you are signed up for one.

Being that you bought it on Launch day .. you had to have bought it from Verizon.

Also .. Have you set up a Verizon Account online? You can also download the Verizon app from the Market to view your plan/usage. I haven't used any of my plan the past month, but I will have to pay for the 1G plan regardless. What does your contract/ sales receipt say?
    Last edited by kris; 03-28-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Bought it from Best Buy

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I know how to switch between 3G and wifi its just that I'm getting 3G with out giving any CC info. Which I find strange.

Agent Xoom
    Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    Did you pay $599. or the full $799. ? If you paid the higher amount, then it's possible that you don't have a plan through Verizon, and you are working wifi only. If you want to be able to use Verizon 3/4G then contact them .. local store and have them activate your Xoom. I bought mine from Verizon. No doubt some of BB employees might have experienced some confusion the first day and didn't explain things to you ??
    Last edited by kris; 03-28-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I payed 799 for it with out contract at Best Buy they also carried them, but my 3G is working, I turn off wifi and 3G shows up and I can surf the net. I never gave them CC info. I payed cash for it and walked out. I'm sitting in my work truck right now using the 3G and I don't have a a Verizon account set up. I try to register it on the Verizon website and it says wrong info submitted. I have no idea.
    Last edited by westvolusiaguys; 03-28-2011 at 01:03 PM.

DrivetheGreen66
    Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    Did you pay $599. or the full $799. ? If you paid the higher amount, then it's possible that you don't have a plan through Verizon, and you are working wifi only. If you want to be able to use Verizon 3/4G then contact them .. local store and have them activate your Xoom. I bought mine from Verizon. No doubt some of BB employees might have experienced some confusion the first day and didn't explain things to you ??
    I thought he said he is getting 3G service just not getting charged for it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Agent Xoom
    Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    Quote Originally Posted by westvolusiaguys View Post
    I know how to switch between 3G and wifi its just that I'm getting 3G with out giving any CC info. Which I find strange.
    Most likely, you will get a bill sent to you. You paid for the Xoom with a CC, but I am betting a monthly bill will be mailed to you. Have you checked the Verizon online site and check your account there?

Agent Xoom
    Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivetheGreen66 View Post
    I thought he said he is getting 3G service just not getting charged for it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    I get that, but I highly doubt that is the case. I just don't see how he could get the service without Verizon activation .. and a monthly bill.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads