• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Choppy video, general lag

This is a discussion on Choppy video, general lag within the Motorola Xoom Help forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Support Forum category; Greetings from Minnesota. I recently bought a Xoom. As I have browsed the internets I have noticed that nearly all video is choppy and looks ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question Choppy video, general lag

Greetings from Minnesota.

I recently bought a Xoom. As I have browsed the internets I have noticed that nearly all video is choppy and looks very poor in quality. This is true in video I have moved from my computer(s) to the Xoom and in flash and non-flash videos (basically all web based video). I re-encoded some movies to see if there was a difference and there was! The video was no longer choppy but looked very poor in quality. There also seems to be problems with ALL videos with the sync between the audio and video.

Is this the typical Xoom experience? I have a 90 day return policy and I dont think I will make it a week.
    Any ideas or help is appreciated.

Pete

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Are you on 3.0.1? Do you have the flash 10.2 from the market? What videos are you talking about? I go to espn, ABC, CBS, etc. and everything is great! Another thing is to change UA to desktop. Open browser and type about:debug. Now, go to menu (lines in top right corner of browser)>settings>debug>UAstring and change to desktop.

Technician X
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    Quote Originally Posted by z06mike View Post
    Are you on 3.0.1? Do you have the flash 10.2 from the market? What videos are you talking about? I go to espn, ABC, CBS, etc. and everything is great! Another thing is to change UA to desktop. Open browser and type about:debug. Now, go to menu (lines in top right corner of browser)>settings>debug>UAstring and change to desktop.
    Everything works great for me except some higher quality videos embedded in web pages

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Pacific North Wet, All Rain - All The Time
    Liked
    26 times
    Are you connecting via 3G or WIFI? What is the strength of your connection?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    I've not watched much streaming video outside of the Youtube app but have loaded several different media types to my Xoom of movies I have ripped from my DVDs. Currently I have found that RockPlayerLite has the absolute best performance for nearly all of my videos. Youtube (from the app) has only ever had issues with connection. Otherwise playback has been great for me on my 3g/wifi model.
    Bensode
    Debian, XOOM & Droid Enthusiast

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I've seen some of the same as well. Flash video that says its not optimized for mobile plays horribly. The rest seems OK.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry for the late reply... I own the Wifi only version of the Xoom. YT and liveleak play some videos well but the moment I try to stream or play HD video it just chokes. I recorded some videos using the recorder on the Xoom and even those were choppy! You read that right, the video that I shot with the Xoom made it choke. When it does choke (on all videos) the sound continues on as normal but the video playback stops and I'd be lucky to get 1 frame every few seconds. I re-encoded some videos and they played better but the quality was horrible. And no offense to Google or Motorola, Im not re-encoded all or any of my videos (takes to long, hassle). I have tried several media players (QQ seems to work best) but they all still choke at the end of the day. My Droid 2 Global plays video better than this! My Xoom is vanilla, unrooted. Thanks for your help so far!

Pete

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by Never View Post
    Greetings from Minnesota.

I recently bought a Xoom. As I have browsed the internets I have noticed that nearly all video is choppy and looks very poor in quality. This is true in video I have moved from my computer(s) to the Xoom and in flash and non-flash videos (basically all web based video). I re-encoded some movies to see if there was a difference and there was! The video was no longer choppy but looked very poor in quality. There also seems to be problems with ALL videos with the sync between the audio and video.

Is this the typical Xoom experience? I have a 90 day return policy and I dont think I will make it a week.
    Any ideas or help is appreciated.

Pete
    Hi Pete,

My guess is that you are using a video player from the market rather than the build-in one.
    While most Market-players provide support for a lot more video formats than that the build-in player supports, they are not yet optimized to properly make use of the hardware of the Xoom. If you have/convert video files in the proper MP4 format that is supported, the Gallery player will use the hardware acceleration chip for video playback, which will eliminate your choppy playback.
    With properly encoded video files, the Xoom can play even 1080 sized video files without any issues.

To get an idea of what the xoom is capable of, just visit this link on your xoom, and tap on one of the MP4 links (make sure Gallery is used to play them)

Index of /xoom/fullscreen

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I tried the other players because the stock one choked .
    I will try the link and report back. Thanks for the help.

PS any way to solve the typing lag?

Edit: watched some of the videos and they played really well. I used the default player, never received the pop up to choose the player.
    Last edited by Never; 04-16-2011 at 04:24 PM.

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by Never View Post
    I tried the other players because the stock one choked .
    I will try the link and report back. Thanks for the help.

PS any way to solve the typing lag?
    you are welcome,

there isn't much you can do with the typing lag. A different keyboard app does work better, but still not perfect. I use thumb keyboard.

Ads