• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

WiFi Speed decreases over time

This is a discussion on WiFi Speed decreases over time within the Motorola Xoom Help forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Support Forum category; So I've noticed after browsing the web for a couple hours my internet speeds start to gradually decrease. I confirmed this by checking a couple ...

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

WiFi Speed decreases over time

So I've noticed after browsing the web for a couple hours my internet speeds start to gradually decrease. I confirmed this by checking a couple speed test sites. My internet download speeds are around 16Mbps when it first starts off but then over time goes to 10Mbps then eventually less than 5Mbps. A quick restart fixes it and its right back to normal. What's the deal? My other devices consistently show at least 16 Mbps.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    I was starting to think the same thing. And I have confirmed that restarting does bring the speed back up. Could it possibly have anything to do with the number of apps that are running? For example, right after powering on, all I have runing is the browser. After several hours, I might have 5 different apps going at the same time. It seems like this is when I notice the slow down. Even then though, things go pretty fast. The browser seems like its going the same speed when speedtest.net shows 8 mbps and when its showing 25 mbps. Its all very confusing, but as long as my browser loads quickly, I don't mind. The thing that I can't wait to have fixed is the keyboard lag. That will be awesome.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Actually the speed decrease still happens even if I haven't opened any apps. I cleared all the cache and cookies and restarted my xoom. Tested my speeds on 2 sites and let my xoom sit for about 10 minutes with the screen off. I redid the same tests and the speeds were literally half.... so its happening a lot quicker than I thought. This sucks. I wonder if its affecting most people and its just too hard to notice..?

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    109 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlaw904 View Post
    Actually the speed decrease still happens even if I haven't opened any apps. I cleared all the cache and cookies and restarted my xoom. Tested my speeds on 2 sites and let my xoom sit for about 10 minutes with the screen off. I redid the same tests and the speeds were literally half.... so its happening a lot quicker than I thought. This sucks. I wonder if its affecting most people and its just too hard to notice..?
    you might be right about the not noticing part. one thing i am seeing is the ping time gets longer. using speedtest.net goes from 35ms to 224 after about 15 mins.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Weird. I have been on wifi for over 122 hours since Last reboot. My speeds are the same.. 14 down 3 up...

Wondering if your PC notices the same as your xoom... could be your ISP? Router? When was the last time you power cycled your router and modem? I recall having slow speeds long time ago and when I power cycled my modem and route it was better...try powering off both and wait 2 minutes then power on modem then after that is done powering up then power on the router. Wait a few minutes the try your tests again....this may or may not work but it is with a try...
    NEW Phone Moto RAZR | Not Rooted | ROM: Stock 2.3.5 Gingerbread)
    Phone OG Droid | Rooted | ROM: SS 5.6 (Gingerbread)
    Tablet XOOM | Not Rooted | ROM: Stock 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)

"Never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes."

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    There is a post about this on the Motorola Xoom support forms. Turns out there was a bug discovered in the wifi stack (a memory leak) that will cause just the problem you are describing. The bug was not discovered in time to make it into the version of software on the Xoom (or in the update). So until we get a new update you will need to periodically "reboot".

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_r View Post
    There is a post about this on the Motorola Xoom support forms. Turns out there was a bug discovered in the wifi stack (a memory leak) that will cause just the problem you are describing. The bug was not discovered in time to make it into the version of software on the Xoom (or in the update). So until we get a new update you will need to periodically "reboot".
    Are we sure this issue will be addressed in the future? It is definitely just on the xoom. I just tested it 3 times. Each time before the reboot i was getting about 8 down 4 up. After reboot, 23down' 6 up. That is a pretty noticeable difference, I do really hope this is fixed with an update. I only notice the keyboard lag after my speeds have decreased. After a reboot, my keyboard doesnt lag at all.
    Last edited by maretus; 04-07-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Remove Ads

Ads