• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

display using 75% battery??

This is a discussion on display using 75% battery?? within the Motorola Xoom Help forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Support Forum category; Is it normal for the display to consume over 75% of the battery? My HTC Desire has a very low power consumption although I know ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: display using 75% battery??

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

display using 75% battery??

Is it normal for the display to consume over 75% of the battery? My HTC Desire has a very low power consumption although I know that is amoled I didn't think it would be such a hike on the xoom? Im only getting about 5 hours screen time from a full charge and that sucks!!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    yea. because nothing else really takes much battery except data connection which if you have wifi is minimal and if you have 3g still isnt that high since you cant make calls. Display for some reason consumes the most on any android device ive used. If you want to lower that number turn your brightness down

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Twitter
    ChrisFrontRoyal
    Quote Originally Posted by allNuttS View Post
    Is it normal for the display to consume over 75% of the battery? My HTC Desire has a very low power consumption although I know that is amoled I didn't think it would be such a hike on the xoom? Im only getting about 5 hours screen time from a full charge and that sucks!!
    Yes, if you're doing nothing else with the device! It doesn't mean it's sucking up the battery, just that of all the power being used, 75% of it is for the screen. If the device is sitting idle or using minimal computing power, that makes sense. If you watch a movie or play a heavy arcade game, you'll soon see the numbers change

Technician X
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    Quote Originally Posted by allNuttS View Post
    HTC desire has a much smaller screen

I completely agree with everything I just said

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    Ya lower the brightness

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Pacific North Wet, All Rain - All The Time
    Liked
    26 times
    5 hours to use up your battery seems a bit excessive. Are there apps running in the background that are updating often? For example, I DL'ed WeatherBug and didn't make any changes --- it was updating every hour and chewing up my battery. Excessive updating for email will hammer your battery also.

Suppose you and I had a pizza with 8 slices and we each eat 1 slice... Android would report that I ate 50% of the pizza. Obviously I didn't eat half of the whole pizza, I just ate 50% of what is gone... their reporting wording is odd.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have the brightness as low as possible when indoors as I hate bright screens but I've also tried app killers, juice defender etc but nothing makes much difference.. it does consume a fair bit when idle/screen off too but the active app list shows nothing unusual. I've even gone deeper & killed stuff like the blur processes etc... its really lame when I gave up my 'temporary ipad' (until a decent android tablets came out!) to find it has to be plugged in more than twice as often!

Quote Originally Posted by Lactose the Intolerant View Post
    5 hours to use up your battery seems a bit excessive. Are there apps running in the background that are updating often? For example, I DL'ed WeatherBug and didn't make any changes --- it was updating every hour and chewing up my battery. Excessive updating for email will hammer your battery also.

Suppose you and I had a pizza with 8 slices and we each eat 1 slice... Android would report that I ate 50% of the pizza. Obviously I didn't eat half of the whole pizza, I just ate 50% of what is gone... their reporting wording is odd.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Dont know if you have am messed up device but ive had numbers completly different. ill give you an example

I wanted to test my battery life so i fully charged it. Then i unplugged it and started using it heavy. I dont have 3g version so that wasnt affecting my battery but i do have Wifi. I would say i use my xoom a lot. I easily put 5-6 hours a day messing around with it at various points. Some times games, mostly browsing. The screen always takes up the largest chunk of battery. So by the time my battery was dead i had clocked 80 hours on one charge. Thats not 80 hours of screen use. Just 80 hours on with battery draining. The secret to me is airplane mode. I dont know about you but since I cant make calls or text (although I do with syncsms) there is never a need to have the xoom constantly collecting data. I dont always put in in airplane mode every single time i lock the screen. but if the deice is going to be locked for at least an hour it should be in this mode. Then when you pick it up, take it off of aiplane mode and all your emails get synced (the only real time sync used). If I check the battery status page in settings I'll go something like 6 hours going down 1% in airplane mode. With data on it would of gone down 5-6% Yes if you watch a movie for 8 hours your device will die. But if you use it smart I dont see how you are getting such small #s. I always no matter what get 24 hours out of my device. I dont watch movies or really any other video and this to me is the best battery saver.

So your question was screen time. Im looking at my device right now. The display is 60% of my battery. total battery time is 3d 3h 51m 22s (75 hours). Still have 19% battery. screen on for maybe a quarter of that time. The key in my oppinion is to make your device use as little battery when your not using it so that when you do you have battery left.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks...

I've uninstalled all apps now and will keep an eye on what difference it makes. I have used an app that switches to airplane mode when the screen goes off which is fantastic for standby but its my screen-on time that bothers me. I've just charged it and in 30 minutes web browsing my battery has gone to 90% which looks on course for another 5 hours screen time on one full charge... so no difference whatsoever! :-( my Xoom is 3g and I do use that (hsdpa) as its 3x quicker than my wifi. Maybe that is the cause? I'll give it a go....

Quote Originally Posted by Notto View Post
    Dont know if you have am messed up device but ive had numbers completly different. ill give you an example

I wanted to test my battery life so i fully charged it. Then i unplugged it and started using it heavy. I dont have 3g version so that wasnt affecting my battery but i do have Wifi. I would say i use my xoom a lot. I easily put 5-6 hours a day messing around with it at various points. Some times games, mostly browsing. The screen always takes up the largest chunk of battery. So by the time my battery was dead i had clocked 80 hours on one charge. Thats not 80 hours of screen use. Just 80 hours on with battery draining. The secret to me is airplane mode. I dont know about you but since I cant make calls or text (although I do with syncsms) there is never a need to have the xoom constantly collecting data. I dont always put in in airplane mode every single time i lock the screen. but if the deice is going to be locked for at least an hour it should be in this mode. Then when you pick it up, take it off of aiplane mode and all your emails get synced (the only real time sync used). If I check the battery status page in settings I'll go something like 6 hours going down 1% in airplane mode. With data on it would of gone down 5-6% Yes if you watch a movie for 8 hours your device will die. But if you use it smart I dont see how you are getting such small #s. I always no matter what get 24 hours out of my device. I dont watch movies or really any other video and this to me is the best battery saver.

So your question was screen time. Im looking at my device right now. The display is 60% of my battery. total battery time is 3d 3h 51m 22s (75 hours). Still have 19% battery. screen on for maybe a quarter of that time. The key in my oppinion is to make your device use as little battery when your not using it so that when you do you have battery left.

Theme Developer

Member #
    Liked
    290 times
    Twitter
    Bazar6
    ROMs
    1 Submitted
    Themes
    37 Submitted
    There is an app to lower the brightness of the screen much lower than the standard Auto/toggle switches, but you have to be rooted. If you are rooted, try out AdjBrightness

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads