• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Android OS Using Excessive Battery

This is a discussion on Android OS Using Excessive Battery within the Motorola Xoom Help forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Support Forum category; Okay, Droid VNC server is gone. I'll see if Android OS settles down now....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Android OS Using Excessive Battery

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Okay, Droid VNC server is gone. I'll see if Android OS settles down now.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    I have the System Panel App as well and love it. Even with it constantly monitoring, so I can keep track of what has been running, it only uses 0.1%. Oddly enough it shows activity around midnight when it isn't being used.
    SDcard System Image Backup Using ClockworkMod Recovery v3.2.0.0.(RC4). Back yours up today!

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Okay, so the latest test shows improvements but I'm still not convinced that things are as they should be. So I rebooted this morning and put the Xoom straight into airplane mode. Then I switched the screen off, unplugged and went out leaving the Xoom off charge. Just under 4 hours later, and I have lost 5% which is alot better, but still extrapolating out the Xoom would last less than 4 days in airplane mode without being touched. Android OS is showing as having used over 40% with total CPU time of over 1 hour, a third of the time it has been off charge. Any ideas, or am I probably looking at a factory reset?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    Where are you seeing Android OS statistics?
    SDcard System Image Backup Using ClockworkMod Recovery v3.2.0.0.(RC4). Back yours up today!

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    217 times
    Twitter
    XimmyT
    The battery usage stats can be found in the Xoom Settings:
    Settings | About Tablet | Battery use

From here you can see a breakdown of battery use by process as well as an overall system view. See the OP for good screenshots of this.
    Keep on Xoomin'

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Okay, sorry to revive this one, but things are still not as they should be. 9 hours 39 minutes on battery, and I am at 76%, again having not really used the xoom at all all day, (display has been on for 7 minutes total). Display is showing 32% usage, Tablet idle is showing 27% usage, and Android OS is showing 20% usage (of the total 24% used, that equates to about 8% actual for display, about 6% actual for tablet idle, and about 5% actual use for Android OS). Most worryingly, it appears that the display is consuming more than 1% per minute of screen time, giving a total time of a little over 1.5 hours before it would be flat if display was left on. 16% actual battery usage has been everything other than display, giving total screen off running time of a little over 60 hours, less than 3 days. Someone mentioned earlier on that it could just be a broken battery and I'm starting to think this may be right.

Any thoughts? If the battery is fried, how do I go about getting this repaired/replaced as I'm guessing most Dixons (UK retail outlet) staff won't be savvy enough to have a sensible conversation around this, and will probably tell me to turn the brightness down and switch off wifi (brightness is at about 10%, wifi was off most of the day (about 4 hours on, over 5 hours off).

Please help.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    217 times
    Twitter
    XimmyT
    Something is definitely up with your battery and/or configuration.

As a test I just left the screen on my wifi-connected Xoom on for 10 minutes. No drop in battery percentage at all.

You mention you are seeing a 1% drop per minute.... That is sketchy! You might want to start think about a dud battery, as I believe you have been fairly thorough in your analysis.
    Keep on Xoomin'

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ximmy View Post
    Something is definitely up with your battery and/or configuration.

As a test I just left the screen on my wifi-connected Xoom on for 10 minutes. No drop in battery percentage at all.

You mention you are seeing a 1% drop per minute.... That is sketchy! You might want to start think about a dud battery, as I believe you have been fairly thorough in your analysis.
    Hm, having just thought this must be the battery, I have seen an interesting trend in system monitor. I have attached the past 3 days and it can clearly be seen that on Sunday, the charge drop is in line with expectations with CPU running at around 3% with the Xoom idle. Since coming off charge this morning you can see a much steeper decline and the cpu is way up even though device usage shows minimal use. This makes me think again about this being a battery issue. What do you think?
    Attached Images

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Try running top to see what's using your CPU. The following will redirect top output to a text file, and it will run continuously until you stop it with CTRL-C:

Code:
    adb shell top > top.txt
    Hit CTRL-C after about 5 seconds, then review the text file. The output is fairly self-explanatory, but please do post a relevant snippet for us curious types.

EDIT: I haven't checked my device's CPU usage during charging, so I'm not sure if what you see there is out of the norm. Running this should yield some good info anyway.
    Last edited by Stachre; 05-09-2011 at 05:31 PM. Reason: clarification
    Ximmy likes this.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    217 times
    Twitter
    XimmyT
    Quote Originally Posted by akalias View Post
    Hm, having just thought this must be the battery, I have seen an interesting trend in system monitor. I have attached the past 3 days and it can clearly be seen that on Sunday, the charge drop is in line with expectations with CPU running at around 3% with the Xoom idle. Since coming off charge this morning you can see a much steeper decline and the cpu is way up even though device usage shows minimal use. This makes me think again about this being a battery issue. What do you think?
    It is very odd indeed. I like Stachre's suggestion for identifying a culprit. If it isn't your battery it is a background process (this is my assumption based on your CPU vs, Activity results). Now you just have to find which one.
    Keep on Xoomin'

Ads