Help - SD card issues
I have a 16 gb class 4 card. So after the 3.2 update, I popped it in. Now:
1.) How do i format the card? (Cos previously the card was in my older phone, Samsung wave 8500) There is no option to format when i put the card in xoom and connected to my pc. Although i tried manually deleting the folders, but some were just getting recreated.
2.) How do i make the default android music player know that the music folder is now in SD card?
3.) As of now i think there is no way to transfer apps to SD card. Is this correct?
Thanks for helping.
07-25-2011 01:01 AM
1. You should be able to format while conneted to pc. When I installed my card there was one folder created, can't remember what it was called.
Originally Posted by DirtDiver
2. If you move your picture, movie or music folder from the internal to the sd memory the folder will still show in the gallery as if nothing happened.
1. No real need to reformat, but you can clean up old files by edit/deleting folders and files from the PC via USB cable, or put the card directly into the PC to do it
Originally Posted by DirtDiver
2. The stock player will find music on the external SD card, no need for special action. However some apps will *not* recognize the card or be able to write to it, until they are updated to use the Media API - that will happen in the coming weeks where it is important, I'm sure.
3. Effectively, that is correct. But I ask, "why?". Because if you focus on storage of memory-hogging media like music and especially videos on the external card, you have almost limitless room on the internal storage for apps and a lot more. I have over 150 apps installed, and am only using 8GB total out of nearly 29GB available on the internal - my videos and some music are on the 32GB external card. This isn't like a phone that has very limited "internal" storage and relies on exporting to the SD card to allow for more apps.
@CruzIzcareddoNotn and chrisonline
1.)When the SD card is inside xoom and connected to pc, the format option does not come in the right click context menu. Any way ill connect it through a card reader n then format it(if needed, in future). Right now i think its ok.
2.)Its great that the music will be recognized on the SD card too.
Ya, u are right. There is no point of shifting apps to SD card once i have freed the internal memory of music and video.
Last edited by DirtDiver; 07-25-2011 at 09:48 AM.
How do you get photos to go right to the sd card? When i take a pic it goes to internal memory and not to sd card. I have 3.2 and the xoom recognizes the card Thanks
Ummm, OK so I'm too lazy to read the owners manual so.............
What kind of SD card do I need? Standard SD? Mini SD? Micro SD? Any suggestions as to brands to look for or avoid? Thanks!
Originally Posted by DennisW
Remember: It's not really yours until you've voided the warranty.
"Battle not with trolls, lest ye become a troll; and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you."
Friedrich Nietzsche: A Dynamic Translation
I'm waiting for an answer to your question I' like to know too.....did you get one?
What exactly to you want an answer to? There are several questions in this thread.
Originally Posted by mtleather
Nexus 4 - CyanMod 10.1
SGS-II - Rooted - Jedi Mind Trick VX3
Samsung Note II - Jedi Master 13
Motorola Xoom - WiFi - Rooted - EOS 4.2.1 Nightlies