• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Dual-booting Android and other linux distros via custom kernel?

This is a discussion on Dual-booting Android and other linux distros via custom kernel? within the Motorola Xoom Kernels forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Hacks category; I have enjoyed playing with my new Xoom, but there are some things I'd like to do with it that Android can't do. I've installed ...

+ Reply to Thread
    Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Dual-booting Android and other linux distros via custom kernel?

I have enjoyed playing with my new Xoom, but there are some things I'd like to do with it that Android can't do. I've installed Debian in a chroot, but the system is clumsy and hard to use. Debian can run natively on the Xoom, but doing so would remove the ability to boot Android. A dual-boot setup would be ideal. A linux-as-bootloader kernel that would allow you to choose between booting android or running Debian from SD would allow dual-booting. The kexecboot bootloader (linuxtogo.org: kexecboot: Project Info) does something similar. Any suggestions on the feasibility of this? I don't have the knowledge about Android or Linux to know how to put this together, but it seems like it should work to me.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    238 times
    Twitter
    RayHodge02
    Quote Originally Posted by hunternet93 View Post
    I have enjoyed playing with my new Xoom, but there are some things I'd like to do with it that Android can't do. I've installed Debian in a chroot, but the system is clumsy and hard to use. Debian can run natively on the Xoom, but doing so would remove the ability to boot Android. A dual-boot setup would be ideal. A linux-as-bootloader kernel that would allow you to choose between booting android or running Debian from SD would allow dual-booting. The kexecboot bootloader (linuxtogo.org: kexecboot: Project Info) does something similar. Any suggestions on the feasibility of this? I don't have the knowledge about Android or Linux to know how to put this together, but it seems like it should work to me.
    Welcome to the forum...

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2219 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by hunternet93 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.Glad you decided to join us. Here's another option.
    [ADDON] NotAndBuntu 11.04 Beta5 (Ubuntu Natty Narwhal) - xda-developers

Nexus 6 - Rooted
    NotePro 12.2 64Gb

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrant3876 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.Glad you decided to join us. Here's another option.
    [ADDON] NotAndBuntu 11.04 Beta5 (Ubuntu Natty Narwhal) - xda-developers
    That's basically what I have set up right now. Android manages devices very differently than normal Linux, so Debian doesn't have access to, for example, USB. I suppose someone could dual-boot by using the recovery partition to boot Debian. I'll try that and see how it works.

Ads