• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

End of Line for Android Updates on Motorola Xoom & Nexus S; No Official Android 4.2

This is a discussion on End of Line for Android Updates on Motorola Xoom & Nexus S; No Official Android 4.2 within the Motorola Xoom News forums, part of the Motorola Xoom News & Site News category; We have sad news regarding the future fate of any Android 4.2 Updates for the Motorola Xoom and the Nexus S smartphone. Google's own Jean-Baptiste ...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: End of Line for Android Updates on Motorola Xoom & Nexus S; No Official Android 4.2

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19 times

End of Line for Android Updates on Motorola Xoom & Nexus S; No Official Android 4.2

We have sad news regarding the future fate of any Android 4.2 Updates for the Motorola Xoom and the Nexus S smartphone. Google's own Jean-Baptiste Queru recently made statements indicating that Android 4.2 will not be coming to either of these devices. Here's a quote from his post,

-There is no support for 4.2 on Nexus S and Xoom. Those devices should
    continue using 4.1.2.

~JBQ
    It's a shame that they aren't planning on moving forward with the update for those devices. They have the 4.1.2 version of Jelly Bean, but it appears something about the new features of 4.2 might be incompatible. Either that, or the company felt it was simply time to stop somewhere.

Source: Google Groups via Phandroid
    Last edited by dgstorm; 11-14-2012 at 11:54 AM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Theme Developer

Member #
    Liked
    290 times
    Twitter
    Bazar6
    ROMs
    1 Submitted
    Themes
    37 Submitted
    It's sad news... but if y'all haven't rooted yet... I'd start so that you can get used to staying current with the newest AOSP updates... otherwise you'll never see 4.2 on your OG Xoom, whether you're on WiFi or 3G/4G (wingray, stingray and everest)

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Twitter
    @sonicaholic
    There effectively leaving those who don't wish to root with bugs like a browser that shuts itself down at whim. :-( and here was me thinking decent software support was the whole point in buying a GED. For those who wish to root the 4.1.2 the stock rooted image is [UPDATE][JB]Stock Android 4.1.2 JZO54K, Root, via CWM Recovery (US Wi-Fi MZ604) - xda-developers just there ;-)
    Last edited by Sonicaholic; 11-14-2012 at 01:18 PM.
    HTC Desire - Rooted / S-off (dead) Galaxy Nexus i9250 - stock
    Motorola Xoom WiFi - Rooted TWRP 2.3.3.0 EoS 3 nightlie 155 OC'd to 1.6
    Sony smart watch

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Sad, but good to know. :-)
    Thanks dgstorm.
    dgstorm likes this.
    "There's no bad job. The bad thing is have to work." - Ramón Valdés
    "Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor, consulta el manual." - Wheatley

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Twitter
    @pizentu
    So I have had this device for around a year and its already outdated?? Thats a waste.
    whorizon likes this.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Twitter
    @sonicaholic

No Official Android 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Pizentu View Post
    So I have had this device for around a year and its already outdated?? Thats a waste.
    Yep my thoughts exactly! I shall now be wondering if my gnex gets ditched after 18 months, if that's the case there's no real benefit in purchasing a nexus device besides the price. But the new nexus 4's build quality is poor fair once under the hood and i very much doubt it would last much longer than a 2 year warranty.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    HTC Desire - Rooted / S-off (dead) Galaxy Nexus i9250 - stock
    Motorola Xoom WiFi - Rooted TWRP 2.3.3.0 EoS 3 nightlie 155 OC'd to 1.6
    Sony smart watch

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Time to root I guess , it was bound to happen..
    whorizon likes this.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    GED was fun while it lasted. Could be time to root.
    jay.ef likes this.

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Not surprising, it had to happen sooner or later. In the case of the Xoom, and in the fast-changing world of mobile devices it was later. The Xoom is almost two years old and a very early serious Andorid-based tablet. It had a darn good run it seems, and is certainly not useless today. We've done a lot better with this than many others have.

With the issues in flashing the JB ROMs, I'm not terribly surprised; there have already been people needing to jump through extra hoops to clear enough room in the system area to even load it (I am not one of them for some reason). I'll bet 4.2 just jumped over that space limit along with possibly some features being too intense for the now-dated hardware. Just remember: your Xoom won't suddenly stop functioning when 4.2 is released to other devices.

Being rooted & running the EOS ROM already, I anticipate getting a version of 4.2, but even if it doesn't happen, I'm happy with EOS 3 on 4.1.2 and can stay with that (or some other JB ROM) until the hardware fails. My wife's Xoom is not rooted, and she is perfectly happy with the OTA version of JB it's running; she won't even notice the lack of updates. She really only noticed on the HC->ICS->JB changes--she just runs the apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizentu View Post
    Really? TBH, when I bought mine & my wife's it was already "outdated"--Woot refurb devices. That certainly hasn't affected its utility for me. This is one of the fastest-changing electronic device markets I can think of, and honestly anything you can buy is obsolete already. It's an expensive game staying on the bleeding edge--and often not worth it.
    Team ROOT ~ WiFi running EOS3 Jelly Bean!

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    it gives me more reason to sell this xoom and get the samsung 10" note, this also confirms to me that they will never fix the memory card bug or the freezing problems either, the sooner i get rid of this thing the better.
    now have a samsung galaxy note 10.1 it was fun but now i have moved on, by peeps.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads