• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Now That The Verizon XOOM Is Here, When Will We See That Wi-Fi-Only Model?

This is a discussion on Now That The Verizon XOOM Is Here, When Will We See That Wi-Fi-Only Model? within the Motorola Xoom News forums, part of the Motorola Xoom News & Site News category; I was originally planning on waiting for the wifi version, thinking it would be out within a month or so after launch. Now I have ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Now That The Verizon XOOM Is Here, When Will We See That Wi-Fi-Only Model?

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I was originally planning on waiting for the wifi version, thinking it would be out within a month or so after launch. Now I have no idea when it's coming out. Originally I was pulling for a quick release, now I'm hoping it's months and months, so I can feel like I got my money's worth timewise pulling the trigger and spending extra for the 3g/4g. Sorry to anyone waiting for the wifi to come before they jump!!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    While I am waiting for a wifi model the realization that samsung promised a wifi Gtab which has yet to be seen leads me to believe that wifi Xoom will not be coming out as soon as I had hoped.

None the less I will still try to hold out until after the ipad 2 announcement with hopes for a lower price.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    When the stores swap out their 3g stock for the 4g stock I might pull the trigger if a wifi version is nowhere in sight. At least I'm hoping BB & Costco will trade out stock instead of holding on to stock with no upgrade.

Sent from my D1! But would rather send from a Xoom using Tapatalk!!!

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Why would the carriers have anything to do with a Wi-Fi only model? The manufacturer can sell it with no cellular radio in it... they do make the device.

Motorola however knows that tablets are not being mass consumed in any form other than with macheads (phenomena), early adopters, and people who still think the decision to buy an eReader includes comparing the Kindle and Nook to the iPad. /facepalm

So why not get some free media time with Google's latest Android OS AND VZW's 4G - they both are getting non-stop press time, right? To release a wi-fi only model might upset their partnerships, and in the eyes of Moto's leadership - would frustrate a customer from being able to use the device if they weren't in a Wi-Fi area. They can charge the carriers more for buying a device with a radio that is exclusive to their network in it. Sadly, this is probably what is holding back adoption thus keeping the price high and the exclusivity exclusive. It's a conundrum if I ever saw one. Combine that with a tech boom and we're SOL for promises of resources dedicated to customers who don't want to go through carriers.

Tablets however are not ready to replace laptops (still), and like the Galaxy Tab this device will probably not sell like crazy. It is possible to buy an embedded card for a variety of carriers in a laptop - embedding a 3G/4G radio is no different and it adds to the exclusivity. I mean really, how does one even justify buying a tablet over a phone and laptop?

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have the patience to wait it out for 4G, Flash, SD cards, apps and Honeycomb
    3.1 and any fixes that are needed from the first complaints. Then I will decide
    Last edited by SR45; 02-27-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    You guys waiting have some patience and my hats off to you. I broke like a tree limb in a hurricane.

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Twitter
    TRAV29
    Quote Originally Posted by event121 View Post
    Why would the carriers have anything to do with a Wi-Fi only model? The manufacturer can sell it with no cellular radio in it... they do make the device.

Motorola however knows that tablets are not being mass consumed in any form other than with macheads (phenomena), early adopters, and people who still think the decision to buy an eReader includes comparing the Kindle and Nook to the iPad. /facepalm

So why not get some free media time with Google's latest Android OS AND VZW's 4G - they both are getting non-stop press time, right? To release a wi-fi only model might upset their partnerships, and in the eyes of Moto's leadership - would frustrate a customer from being able to use the device if they weren't in a Wi-Fi area. They can charge the carriers more for buying a device with a radio that is exclusive to their network in it. Sadly, this is probably what is holding back adoption thus keeping the price high and the exclusivity exclusive. It's a conundrum if I ever saw one. Combine that with a tech boom and we're SOL for promises of resources dedicated to customers who don't want to go through carriers.

Tablets however are not ready to replace laptops (still), and like the Galaxy Tab this device will probably not sell like crazy. It is possible to buy an embedded card for a variety of carriers in a laptop - embedding a 3G/4G radio is no different and it adds to the exclusivity. I mean really, how does one even justify buying a tablet over a phone and laptop?
    Carriers have a massive influence on when different models will release. If you were a carrier would you want a WiFi version to be released a month later?

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    Carriers have a massive influence on when different models will release. If you were a carrier would you want a WiFi version to be released a month later?
    Only because they will pay the manufacturer more for the devices. It gives them exclusivity to a device and forces the end user onto the service they provide.

At some point, Motorola would say, "We'll make more by just skipping the service provider and selling a wi-fi only model." They don't though because the carrier is a substantial buck and they can move on from the device.

Motorola did this:
    Hmmm.
    WiFi only model for $X > 3G/4G model for $X+Y ?
    Y? Because they can and carriers will buy it for their customers.
    Decision made.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Holding out for the Wifi model here. I want the accessories and don't want to pay over a grand for it.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    Well hopefully the WiFi only will be out within the next month or so. Once that drops, im sure it'll bring a lot more users over from the ipad. Im sure it'll be the best selling version.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads