• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Now That The Verizon XOOM Is Here, When Will We See That Wi-Fi-Only Model?

This is a discussion on Now That The Verizon XOOM Is Here, When Will We See That Wi-Fi-Only Model? within the Motorola Xoom News forums, part of the Motorola Xoom News & Site News category; If you began drooling from the very first murmurs of a "Pure Google" tablet running Android 3.0 ‘Honeycomb‘, to the buzz at CES, through the ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Now That The Verizon XOOM Is Here, When Will We See That Wi-Fi-Only Model?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    35 times

Now That The Verizon XOOM Is Here, When Will We See That Wi-Fi-Only Model?

If you began drooling from the very first murmurs of a "Pure Google" tablet running Android 3.0 ‘Honeycomb‘, to the buzz at CES, through the anticipation building up to launch: your day has arrived and you likely now have a Motorola XOOM in your hands. Congratulations. Of course that would be the $800 Verizon Motorola XOOM that’s in your hands. But what about that $600 Wi-Fi-only XOOM? Not only is it not in anyone’s hands, but there has yet to be a confirmed release date either.

With nearly every Android phone capable of generating a wireless hotspot to share its data plan with a tablet, taking on the burden of yet another monthly data bill can seem like an unwelcomed guest to many users. Simply toggling a widget or opening an app to start tethering is a small price to pay in exchange for a $200 cheaper piece of hardware. So it stands to reason that a Wi-Fi-only model of the XOOM would likely sell like hotcakes next to its pricier Verizon sibling.

To those of you looking to save some money and buy the Wi-Fi model: do you feel that itching, that longing, that frustration that you can’t yet have it? Are you just a little jealous while your friends snatch up the Verizon version? It almost makes you want to go out, say "to hell with it," and spend the extra $200 just so you can have it now. In fact, it’s almost as if somebody wants you to do that.

Hold on a second . . .

Yes, there are those with a vested business interest in selling carrier-tied models. Those same people are likely well aware of the appeal of tethering. Could they be intentionally prolonging a period where we don’t even have an option for a cheaper Wi-Fi only tab? Would mobile carriers and device manufacturers have something other than their customers’ best interests at heart?

This isn’t the first time we’ve seen this either. Remember that Wi-Fi-only Galaxy Tab that was coming "after the holidays?" Let me check my calendar . . . yep, it’s "after the holidays." Yet I can’t march off to Best Buy, Costco, or anywhere else to get a Wi-Fi-only Tab. It has been announced that it will arrive sometime in the first quarter of 2011, but at this point, the first generation of Samsung’s debut slate is growing a beard longer than ZZ Top’s and is hardly the cutting edge product that it was in November. Is this a pattern that will repeat with every Android tablet we see?
    While we love having 3G and LTE capabilities on tablets, we also like having options. Perhaps all it will take to buck the trend will be one manufacturer (LG? HTC?) that releases a Wi-Fi model at launch. If dollars flow to that device, others will surely follow suit.

Do you think the carriers are running the game here, or is it just a coincidence? Are you splurging for the Verizon XOOM or holding out for the Wi-Fi model? Let us know in the comments below!

AndroidPolice

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Twitter
    TRAV29
    I was planning to get the WiFi. But I think I could probably use the 3G/4G radio in some instances. So I will probably be getting that model eventually.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    if it comes out before my 45 day Return period at BB is up I will most likely return the 3G Xoom

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Twitter
    TRAV29
    Quote Originally Posted by bamfsig45 View Post
    if it comes out before my 45 day Return period at BB is up I will most likely return the 3G Xoom
    I doubt they would release it in that amount of time. Mainly because a lot of people would do the same.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    I doubt they would release it in that amount of time. Mainly because a lot of people would do the same.
    Optimism....

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Just splurge...its worth it.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    Twitter
    pternahan
    I planned to get mine on release day no matter what version was available, just because I wanted it.

Would I have minded fessing up $800 for it, nope. I got mine with all accessories for just over $650, when I went to BBY last Sunday; everything I ordered a $50 gift card popped out. Not being one to ask questions when a discount is offered I took them without saying a word.

The floor supervisor was the one helping me, he was as stoked as I was and checked each card to make sure it wasn't the same one printing out every time, it wasn't and he didn't have a problem with letting me have them.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    Yes the $200 is a minimal difference when dealing with such a loaded device. Will I ever use the 3g/4g , probably not but its good to have just in case.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    This article helped me to justify the purchase of one for $800. First, if Verizon is indeed limiting the WiFi model, then we won't see one until the Fall at the earliest. Here's why:

The 4G program is expected to go for about 6 months. Verizon will want to squeeze every single Xoom 4G user, so until that program concludes, I cannot see a WiFi model coming. I heard originally, the program wouldn't start for some 90 days, but then I heard it was starting in a week. Regardless, as long as Motorola is installing 4G chips, that's money that Verizon could make off of current customers.

The second thing that sold me was the knowledge that the G-Tab was released in November 2010, and there is still no WiFi-only model. I'm happy with my purchase.

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Twitter
    TRAV29
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
    The second thing that sold me was the knowledge that the G-Tab was released in November 2010, and there is still no WiFi-only model. I'm happy with my purchase.
    That is what is leading me to believe the WiFi version is still awhile out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads