• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Repairing Xoom's Touch Screen Intermittent Unresponsiveness

This is a discussion on Repairing Xoom's Touch Screen Intermittent Unresponsiveness within the Motorola Xoom Resolved Issues forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Support Forum category; Please be aware that any information you may find here may be inaccurate, misleading, dangerous, addictive, unethical or illegal. You can potentially damage your device ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Repairing Xoom's Touch Screen Intermittent Unresponsiveness

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Repairing Xoom's Touch Screen Intermittent Unresponsiveness

Please be aware that any information you may find here may be inaccurate, misleading, dangerous, addictive, unethical or illegal. You can potentially damage your device beyond repair, try at your own risk.

(Original Post: Repairing Xoom Touch Screen Intermittent Unresponsiveness : xoom)

Hello,

I would like to share how to repair this condition for the Xoom. I purchased a Xoom just over a year ago and not long ago I noticed that the screen started to have some intermittent unresponsiveness, the duration would be random, anywhere between a few seconds to minutes at a time. All the physical buttons would still work during these touchscreen unresponsive periods. I wanted to mentioned that I've never dropped my Xoom nor have I exposed it to water.

I initially cover all the easy stuff by flashing to the stock firmware and it didn't fix it much. After this unresponsiveness kept doing so for several weeks, I noticed if I pressed hard on the bottom edge of the device when in horizontal orientation, the touch screen would be responsive. This confirm my suspicion there's something wrong physically with the device.

I finally took time today to open up the device and see if I could figure what is wrong with it. iFixit.com's guide is a good guide to open up the Xoom and a Bic pen cap's clip would work as an alternative to the spudger tool in Step 5.

I found out that the ribbon/flex cable, as see in Step 15 (lower-right) and Step 16 (center) in iFixit.com's guide, is the source of the problem. It was poorly design and the flex cable rubs against the metal frame the touch sensor is mounted to.

Here are photos of the issue, the arrows are point out the are of where the conductors on the flex cable is worn and shorting to ground (metal frame). This would also explain why pressing down on the lower edge causes the touchscreen to work.

The repair is pretty simple, I took a long strip of electrical tape and line the edge where the flex cable is exposed to:

That being said, I am glad to say that this will my first and only Motolora device I will ever own. From looking around on the web, it looks like a common issue and Xoom users are reporting this issue. There are other who reported the connector from the flex cable to the controller board has comes loose since it is unsecured.

This wasn't the first issue I had with the Xoom, not long ago I sent in my Xoom to have it 4G upgraded since I finally got around to it and the free upgrade period was going to expire. When I received my Xoom, the 4G didn't work no matter what I did software-wise. I took it into Verizon for them to take a look and they spent over an hour doing all sorts of diagnostics/attempts without success. Finally I decided to open up the Xoom and found that the 4G card that was installed wasn't properly installed, the both antennas coming from it was not snapped in!

Anyhow, I am just disappointed in the quality of work for this Motorola device and personally I will be avoiding Motorola devices from now on.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    252 times
    Moved and stickied. Thanks.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    729 times
    Twitter
    It's a bird
    Great guide here

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Unresponsive screen variation

I would like to add something to the excellent advice offered by GodRa (thanks for setting me on the right track, also for the link to the teardown of the Xoom, which was a really thorough, reassuring piece of work). Basically bad heat sink contact between that same PCB and the frame. Explanation:

I had a slightly different version of this problem which needed a variation of the fix. My wifi Xoom had a lit, but completely unresponsive screen, which suddenly happened when I tried to press a virtual button on the screen. Stuff was going on - like picking up mail, but there was no way of giving the device instructions.

I was able to soft reset with the buttons (there are many fora with this advice) but no deal. I couldn't hard reset, since, like many others with the wifi Xoom, the screen instructions cycled through NVFlash, RSD, and Flashboot, not showing Android Recovery. Just as well since it was nothing to do with that. I had to keep letting the battery run out to switch it off altogether.

I followed GodRa's instructions with the insulating tape, despite the fact I couldn't see any wear through on the ribbon, but nothing was changed. I tried the hard reset tactic, but couldn't follow through as just described. I noticed however that when I plugged in or on, the bottom left at the back was always getting hot. I opened it up again and found tape I had put over the screen printed circuit board as a precaution (the one highlighted in GodRa's description) had been burned through over a couple of little metal protrusions. I figured a transistor had gone dolalley, and I'd need a new screen board (not something I relished since I live in Nairobi). However I noticed the back of the board was metal coated and sticky. Why? Heat sink? I removed all the insulating tape I had put on in the first repair. I pressed the board against the aluminium skeleton, and switched on again. Guess what. It worked. So I put a couple of drops of super glue on one edge of the board to keep it down and added a foam block on top to keep it pushed down on the aluminium frame.

It's cool. It works.

Xoom Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Twitter
    Ben_J_H
    Quote Originally Posted by yebyps View Post
    I would like to add something to the excellent advice offered by GodRa (thanks for setting me on the right track, also for the link to the teardown of the Xoom, which was a really thorough, reassuring piece of work). Basically bad heat sink contact between that same PCB and the frame. Explanation:

I had a slightly different version of this problem which needed a variation of the fix. My wifi Xoom had a lit, but completely unresponsive screen, which suddenly happened when I tried to press a virtual button on the screen. Stuff was going on - like picking up mail, but there was no way of giving the device instructions.

I was able to soft reset with the buttons (there are many fora with this advice) but no deal. I couldn't hard reset, since, like many others with the wifi Xoom, the screen instructions cycled through NVFlash, RSD, and Flashboot, not showing Android Recovery. Just as well since it was nothing to do with that. I had to keep letting the battery run out to switch it off altogether.

I followed GodRa's instructions with the insulating tape, despite the fact I couldn't see any wear through on the ribbon, but nothing was changed. I tried the hard reset tactic, but couldn't follow through as just described. I noticed however that when I plugged in or on, the bottom left at the back was always getting hot. I opened it up again and found tape I had put over the screen printed circuit board as a precaution (the one highlighted in GodRa's description) had been burned through over a couple of little metal protrusions. I figured a transistor had gone dolalley, and I'd need a new screen board (not something I relished since I live in Nairobi). However I noticed the back of the board was metal coated and sticky. Why? Heat sink? I removed all the insulating tape I had put on in the first repair. I pressed the board against the aluminium skeleton, and switched on again. Guess what. It worked. So I put a couple of drops of super glue on one edge of the board to keep it down and added a foam block on top to keep it pushed down on the aluminium frame.

It's cool. It works.
    Thanks, this should help people!

WELCOME! Glad you decided to join us!

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Registered just so I could tell you that you are a god. This saved my xoom. I was getting so frustrated with the lack of response that I almost threw the darned thing out of anger. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by bonecrusher32 View Post
    Registered just so I could tell you that you are a god. This saved my xoom. I was getting so frustrated with the lack of response that I almost threw the darned thing out of anger. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us.

LG V60 Dual Screen
    Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 7 Pro

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    252 times
    Welcome.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    hey godra....thanks for the good info.
    i have the same problem with my xoom wifi,i did as directed to cure the problem.i found the ribbon cable to be intact but did the fix anyway.
    after re assembly,i fired it up &the problem still exists......got any other insite
    thanks....steve

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    has anyone thought about doing this fix as prevention before it messes up?

im thinking about doing it its just i use my xoom so much i cant have any down time
    CWM 3.2 lol - Eos #155 - 1.6ghz interactive day & night- Antutu 8112

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads