• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Making WebM videos for your Xoom

This is a discussion on Making WebM videos for your Xoom within the Motorola Xoom Video forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Extras category; As you may know your Xoom supports the WebM video format . This is the HTML5 solution for video encodes to replace H.264. I sure ...

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Twitter
    XoomFAQ

Making WebM videos for your Xoom

As you may know your Xoom supports the WebM video format. This is the HTML5 solution for video encodes to replace H.264. I sure it has more to do with licensing more than it has to do with H.264 being “bad” but that is another story.

Anyway, during my initial baseline test (using a 1080p source file out of Final Cut) I was impressed on how the encoder did making a very nice looking MP4 file using the iPad quick pick. The program I used to encode was the Miro Video converter.

And initially I was surprised to see how much smaller the WebM encode was.

Then I looked at it. The encoder mashed it down to a 4:3 aspect ratio and it was a bit “skippy” looking. I guess I will have to figure out how to get FFMPEG with the WebM libraries going if I want to get the right aspect ratio on WebM. I pinged the company about this issue as I do not see any setting in the version I have to force things one way or another.

If you are bored and want to play around with WebM or want a good free MP4 encoder you might want to download Miro.

Part II

The FireFox video encoder FireFogg

There is a free encoder that is a FF plug-in that will do WebM and while it looks great in Chrome it skips around on my Xoom.

Please play with both of these and let me know your findings

2. # ADS
    Ads

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by Debian Dog View Post
    If you are bored and want to play around with WebM
    I played around a little with webm after reading your post (nice write-up DoubleD)

I used the beta conversion engine of dvdcat, which is a (very) recent build of mencoder, which actually has webm support.
    Unfortunately, I think the libraries are a bit old. On a DVD (inception) the conversion runs (to webm format) at about 2 fps, and while the file plays peoperly on my PC, with the Xoom, it is a slideshow.
    Using RootExplorer, I can't actually select the file to play it, but through Gallery it did.

My first test was done using 1500Kbps video and 160Kbps audio. I tried another one using 500/128, and also a slideshow.
    I haven't dug into the specifics yet, but it seems webm has some advanced options (like high-profile for h264) which are affecting playback.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Have had wonderful results with goDromo and Free Webm Encoder. Just as limited as Miro et al, but superior quality for sure.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by blud7 View Post
    Have had wonderful results with goDromo and Free Webm Encoder. Just as limited as Miro et al, but superior quality for sure.
    Hello there. Seems like the goDromo WEBM encoder has been updated today including more features, not sure what was there before. I've been using godromo WEBM for a few hours and the results are very impressive on my Xoom, specially using the 480p preset on godromo. Bonus that you can select the size of the file on preferences and that this works from the web.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by blud7 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.Glad you decided to join us.

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by njgroovy View Post
    Hello there. Seems like the goDromo WEBM encoder has been updated today including more features, not sure what was there before. I've been using godromo WEBM for a few hours and the results are very impressive on my Xoom, specially using the 480p preset on godromo. Bonus that you can select the size of the file on preferences and that this works from the web.
    Welcome to the forum.Glad you decided to join us.

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, I been around. First post though and thanks for the welcome! :-)

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello Everybody.

I've been playing a lot more with WEBM these past few days and I'm really impressed with the quality I'm getting. H264 is supposed to be superior but definitely not what I am seeing here. I'm still using this converter at godromo and the WEBM videos I'm getting are really nice. I'm using the 'slow encoding' profile which takes longer but I was able to squeeze a Bluray rip of Avatar in 1.5GB with stunning quality.

For the sake of comparison I went and tried this other converter at godromo that's supposed to be for the ipad and uses h264. The videos also play on the Xoom, but I haven't been able to get as good results with this as with the WEBM one.

Given that the ipad can't do WEBM this is definitely a XOOM win!

Remove Ads

Ads