• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

The prescribed fixes don't work. Nothing high quality plays. No Hardware mode.

This is a discussion on The prescribed fixes don't work. Nothing high quality plays. No Hardware mode. within the Motorola Xoom Video forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Extras category; I am not the only one with this problem; others have described the same symptoms in these forums. However, the prescribed solutions have not worked ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

The prescribed fixes don't work. Nothing high quality plays. No Hardware mode.

I am not the only one with this problem; others have described the same symptoms in these forums. However, the prescribed solutions have not worked for me.

Here is the problem: I have some videos in MP4, MOV, WMV, MPEG, and AVI formats. The low quality ones play fine in software mode on a variety of players. The high quality ones halt, or play slow, or get out of synch with their sound when played in software mode. When I try to play high quality videos in Hardware mode, the players say that it can't be done. On a lark, I tried playing some of the low quality AVI's in hardware mode, even though they didn't "need" it. They played, after a fashion, but there was a repetitive noise on top of the soundtrack.

I have tried Mxplayer, Rockplayer, Diceplayer, Mobiplayer, and the player that came with the Xoom with pretty much the same results.. Movie Gallery refused to even try to play the videos in question, so I deleted it immediately. I downloaded the trial version of DVD Catalyst 4; it refused to convert one one of the high quality videos at all, and converted another into an MP4 that won't play on anything, including any player on my PC.

One of threads said that Hardware Mode is only available for the "supported formats". I had hoped that DVD Catalyst 4 would convert things into these "supported formats", but it just makes MP4's.

Has anyone out there ever successfully played a high definition video in hardware mode on a Xoom? What did you play, and what did you use to play it? How do I convert things into these "supported formats", if they really exist?

2. # ADS
    Ads

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by mount.evans.co View Post
    I am not the only one with this problem; others have described the same symptoms in these forums. However, the prescribed solutions have not worked for me.

Here is the problem: I have some videos in MP4, MOV, WMV, MPEG, and AVI formats. The low quality ones play fine in software mode on a variety of players. The high quality ones halt, or play slow, or get out of synch with their sound when played in software mode. When I try to play high quality videos in Hardware mode, the players say that it can't be done. On a lark, I tried playing some of the low quality AVI's in hardware mode, even though they didn't "need" it. They played, after a fashion, but there was a repetitive noise on top of the soundtrack.

I have tried Mxplayer, Rockplayer, Diceplayer, Mobiplayer, and the player that came with the Xoom with pretty much the same results.. Movie Gallery refused to even try to play the videos in question, so I deleted it immediately. I downloaded the trial version of DVD Catalyst 4; it refused to convert one one of the high quality videos at all, and converted another into an MP4 that won't play on anything, including any player on my PC.

One of threads said that Hardware Mode is only available for the "supported formats". I had hoped that DVD Catalyst 4 would convert things into these "supported formats", but it just makes MP4's.

Has anyone out there ever successfully played a high definition video in hardware mode on a Xoom? What did you play, and what did you use to play it? How do I convert things into these "supported formats", if they really exist?
    The MP4 files created by DVD Catalyst play in hardware mode.

However, installing just about every player on the market isn't going to do you any good. Some of these players' plugins (Dice for one) hook themselves to the build-in video player engine, which can cause complications with everything else that tries to use the hardware.

Try playing this file (tap on your xoom, it will stream) on your Xoom:

http://www.tools4movies.com/xoom/108...lr1_h1080p.mp4

This is a 1080p video in H264 MP4 format, created by DVD Catalyst, that makes full use of the hardware.
    If you encounter playback issues (other than ones related to buffering depending on your internet connection of course) then I would suggest to start uninstalling your large collection of video players because the file does play properly on the Xoom.

dvdcatalyst
    On a side note, due to development of MovieGallery, I had Mobo Player installed.

Usually I test videos by just putting them on the Xoom and then with a file explorer I find then and play them.

When I tried it with this file to make sure it worked properly before I uploaded it, it would just fade the screen a bit and sit there.

I then remembered I had Mobo installed, and uninstalled its plugin and app, and then it played fine.

I know these market players are great for playing files like avi and other unsupported formats, but if you want to play real high quality video files, they can cause problems, even if you don't use them.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
    The MP4 files created by DVD Catalyst play in hardware mode.

However, installing just about every player on the market isn't going to do you any good. Some of these players' plugins (Dice for one) hook themselves to the build-in video player engine, which can cause complications with everything else that tries to use the hardware.

Try playing this file (tap on your xoom, it will stream) on your Xoom:

http://www.tools4movies.com/xoom/108...lr1_h1080p.mp4

This is a 1080p video in H264 MP4 format, created by DVD Catalyst, that makes full use of the hardware.
    If you encounter playback issues (other than ones related to buffering depending on your internet connection of course) then I would suggest to start uninstalling your large collection of video players because the file does play properly on the Xoom.
    I uninstalled everything but the default player, Mxplayer pro, and Mxplayer free version. I didn't want to uninstall something I had paid 10 bucks for, and the pro version won't work unless the free version also exists, so far as I can tell. I will gladly uninstall the default player if I can get it back later. When I tapped on you link, Iwas given a choice of Mxplayer pro, Mxplayer, or "Video Player", and I chose Mxplayer pro. The sound and video were badly out of sync. I tried pausing it to give it time to load, but that made no difference.

As for opening something from a browser...I installed the Astro browser under advice from Xoom tech support. I have never successfully opened any file of any kind from that browser. When I try to open a file I am given a choice of open as text, video, etc. but no choice of apps. When I click on the file type, the screen darkens, and the browser waits for something that never happens. At least the "back" button still works.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Additional note--I tried playing the trailer with the default player, and that worked.

dvdcatalyst
    I uninstalled everything but the default player, Mxplayer pro, and Mxplayer free version. I didn't want to uninstall something I had paid 10 bucks for, and the pro version won't work unless the free version also exists, so far as I can tell. I will gladly uninstall the default player if I can get it back later. When I tapped on you link, Iwas given a choice of Mxplayer pro, Mxplayer, or "Video Player", and I chose Mxplayer pro. The sound and video were badly out of sync. I tried pausing it to give it time to load, but that made no difference.

As for opening something from a browser...I installed the Astro browser under advice from Xoom tech support. I have never successfully opened any file of any kind from that browser. When I try to open a file I am given a choice of open as text, video, etc. but no choice of apps. When I click on the file type, the screen darkens, and the browser waits for something that never happens. At least the "back" button still works.
    As I mentioned, and you just verified, the market players choke on video files of this quality, which is why I suggested to uninstall all of them.

You can redownload your purchased apps through the Android Market.

I also mentioned that these players hook themselves to the build-in hardware video playback, so regardless of what method you use to play the files, they will still interfere.

With "browser" I referred to the build-in webbrowser application, "Browser".

I use a stock Xoom myself, and the files created by DVD Catalyst are optimized for playback using the build-in applications because these are capable of providing the best possible quality.

Apps like many of the Market video players hook themselves to the video playback engine in order to make their own app capable of doing a bit more, but by doing this, they affect the playback of the build-in apps negatively, which is why I suggested to uninstall them.

The file I created for you, as well as the trailer in my previous post both play perfectly fine on the Xoom.

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post

With "browser" I referred to the build-in webbrowser application, "Browser".

Its getting late.

Using the default web browser "Browser" the links will stream directly"

otherwise, browser could be astro/root explorer etc.
    But,
    With market players like mobo/rock/dice/mx installed, the MP4 file extention is connected to them, which can cause playback issues as well.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Actually, I was using both types of browsers--the default web browser to look at your links, which work if I select the default player, and the Astro browser to look at files I had already downloaded and stored.

I deleted Mxplayer, and the quality of your converted video in the default player improved. The version I converted still doesn't work. Also, I can no longer play any of my movies in AVI or or MOV format.

That you for the partial success. I guess I need to find an everything-but-MP4 player that won't interfere with the default.

dvdcatalyst
    Actually, I was using both types of browsers--the default web browser to look at your links, which work if I select the default player, and the Astro browser to look at files I had already downloaded and stored.

I deleted Mxplayer, and the quality of your converted video in the default player improved. The version I converted still doesn't work. Also, I can no longer play any of my movies in AVI or or MOV format.

That you for the partial success. I guess I need to find an everything-but-MP4 player that won't interfere with the default.
    I think the combination of using small clips in combination with the 25% trial limitation is causing the complications. Maybe try some longer videos or maybe a DVD?

As for the other video player, it seems all of them are going the "plugin" route, which is what is causing the issues with the build-in video player. Aside from MX, there's Dice which is one quite a few people like, but that one also does the same thing. And if you install the trial and it expires, it messes up things even more.

For me, I continue to use the stock video player and MovieGallery, and just convert everything I need to watch on my Xoom. It is one of the reasons why I put a lot of work into drag&drop batch conversions in DVD Catalyst in the first place. (drag 100 files onto it, tap go and walk away)

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    howdy.
    Did a search and found this thread which basically mentions the same issues that I am having.
    720p movies play fine no issues at all. But 1080p.BlueRay.x264.mp4 movies don't do well.
    Thes sound plays for 5 sec then drops out for 5 sec, as well as the movie being very jerking.

I have done what was suggested above and deleted all the movie players that I have downloaded.
    MXplayer is the only one that seems to play everything else that I have and I kept that one.
    I downloaded the MXplayer Codec ARM v7 as well. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.
    Might delete that as well and see what happens.

Must say I'm a noob at this stuff and would appreciate some help.

cheers
    Last edited by dogart; 11-09-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads