• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What DOESN'T interfere with the default player?

This is a discussion on What DOESN'T interfere with the default player? within the Motorola Xoom Video forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Extras category; Dvdcatalyst has proven to me that the default player that comes with each xoom can play high definition videos with full hardware support IF you ...

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

What DOESN'T interfere with the default player?

Dvdcatalyst has proven to me that the default player that comes with each xoom can play high definition videos with full hardware support IF you uninstall all other video players, and if the video is a correctly converted MP4. This leaves my collection of AVIs, MOVs, and WMVs unplayable. I could try to convert all of these into MP4s, but I have also heard others singing the praises of MKV's. Is there any other player out there that will play things besides MP4's, and won't interfere with the default player?

2. # ADS
    Ads

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by mount.evans.co View Post
    Dvdcatalyst has proven to me that the default player that comes with each xoom can play high definition videos with full hardware support IF you uninstall all other video players, and if the video is a correctly converted MP4. This leaves my collection of AVIs, MOVs, and WMVs unplayable. I could try to convert all of these into MP4s, but I have also heard others singing the praises of MKV's. Is there any other player out there that will play things besides MP4's, and won't interfere with the default player?
    Actually, I proved that the Xoom is perfectly capable of playing 1080 HD video files as long as they are in the proper format. The uninstall of video players in order to make it work is due to the way these video player applications conflict with the build-in video player. Some of them do not interfere like others.

Your video playback issues with avi/mov/wmv issue is one that is discussed in 100's of threads already, on these forums as well as just about every other android related forum, and is something tied to the choosing of Google for its supported video formats. Developers of video player apps in the market have found a way to enable support for non-supported video formats, but regardless of their efforts on optimizing the ffmpeg library they use to enable support for these formats, they are limited by the hardware capabilities of the low-power processors used in tablets.

MKV isn't going to make any difference in this regard either. MKV is a "container" format, which means it can contain any type of video and audio format. Unless your video (and audio) portion of the file is in the proper format for hardware decoding, you will encounter playback issues if you go higher in quality, be it MP4, MKV, WMV, AVI or whatever, no matter what player you use.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
    Your video playback issues with avi/mov/wmv issue is one that is discussed in 100's of threads already, on these forums as well as just about every other android related forum, and is something tied to the choosing of Google for its supported video formats. Developers of video player apps in the market have found a way to enable support for non-supported video formats, but regardless of their efforts on optimizing the ffmpeg library they use to enable support for these formats, they are limited by the hardware capabilities of the low-power processors used in tablets.
    That's probably OK, since my AVI's and whatnot are lower resolution and can be played with less computing power. Mxplayer was playing them OK, for example. I just want to have the ability to play them, without screwing up the default player as Mxplayer did.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
    Actually, I proved that the Xoom is perfectly capable of playing 1080 HD video files as long as they are in the proper format. The uninstall of video players in order to make it work is due to the way these video player applications conflict with the build-in video player. Some of them do not interfere like others.
    Is MP4 the "native format" for the Xoom, or for androids in general?

Agent Xoom
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Twitter
    Hate It
    I have two other video players installed and I have never had any problems playing 720p or 1080i videos with the stock player as long as they are MP4. Don't know what your problem is.

MP4 is a video standard that pre-dates Android.
    Adios XOOM it has been, well an experience
    iMac i5 OS 10.x

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by magpiemini View Post
    I have two other video players installed and I have never had any problems playing 720p or 1080i videos with the stock player as long as they are MP4. Don't know what your problem is.

MP4 is a video standard that pre-dates Android.
    Which other players? I can confirm that the 1080 video that Dvdcatalyst converted for me plays absolutely glitch free in the default player if I uninstall Mxplayer, but is a little jerky and temporarily halts part way through if I have Mxplayer installed. Anyway, I know that MP4's were around before Androids, but I was wondering if MP4 is THE video standard for Androids. The default player doesn't list anything that isn't an MP4 or MPEG.

dvdcatalyst
    Which other players? I can confirm that the 1080 video that Dvdcatalyst converted for me plays absolutely glitch free in the default player if I uninstall Mxplayer, but is a little jerky and temporarily halts part way through if I have Mxplayer installed. Anyway, I know that MP4's were around before Androids, but I was wondering if MP4 is THE video standard for Androids. The default player doesn't list anything that isn't an MP4 or MPEG.
    MP4 is the standard for Android.

In particular H264 for video, AAC stereo for audio in an MP4 container.

Players like Dice and MX can play files that have h264 and aac in an MKV container, and then use hardware for playback, but for the build-in video player, they have to be in an MP4 container.

H264 has a gazillion settings that can all affect video playback. Especially the more advanced features can cause complications with the hardware decoding engine on the Tegra2.

Agent Xoom
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Twitter
    Hate It
    DoubleTwist and MX. I installed these for movies that I had that were not MP4. Most of the time I convert videos to MP4 and use the stock player.
    Adios XOOM it has been, well an experience
    iMac i5 OS 10.x

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by magpiemini View Post
    DoubleTwist and MX. I installed these for movies that I had that were not MP4. Most of the time I convert videos to MP4 and use the stock player.
    Funny; I just installed DoubleTwist, and it wouldn't even see any of my MOV or AVI files. It couldn't play any files the default player couldn't play

Remove Ads

Ads